It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Good Fusion Outcomes Wanted

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-22-2003, 01:28 PM   #511
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User
    Re: Good Fusion Outcomes Wanted

Dear David,

Over here it was 10 days for the staples but for me that fell on a saturday so i had them out on the following monday. They were the source of a lot of discomfort just because you're pulling the skin every time you move, ah i was so happy the day they came out. Did you have hardware put in? If so do you find your incision site is more red/the scar is wider around the vertebrae in question? Mine is. I have a 6 inch incision and from the top down to the L5 its very very neatly closed and faded, from the L5 down its quite red and the scar is wider (it appears as though it hasnt closed although ive been assured many times by the doctor that it looks fine and is closed).

My leg pain reduces each day a little. Though my pain meds have been significantly reduced to a minimum so i am feeling quite uncomfortable at night.

How are you sleeping at night?

Love and hugs
    Brooke

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2003, 01:37 PM   #512
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Camelia,

Despite everything i complain of oh yes, i made the right decision, ive not doubted that (except for in ICU when i lost my reflexes, i was quite doped up but i remember thinking 'what have i done?'). Everythin gets a little better each day.

I have not experienced the same back pain i had prior to the surgery although i experienced so much discomfort in so many other places as a result of my body healing that it is hard to tell if that pain is there or not though i dont think it is. My leg pain decreases a little each day but David was correct, it can take up to a year for the nerve to heal or to know if there is any permanent damage.

Leg pain and indeed most pain post op is from internal inflammation from the procedure. The nerves are sqaushed even more than they were before as everything swells. Internal structures heal within 6-8 weeks so ive got another 3-5 weeks or so before i'll see an improvement again.

My pain meds have been significantly reduced too, during the day i am only on basic paracetamol, at night i take 1 valium and 1 digesic (only a little stronger than paracetamol) so things will be a little tougher for a while, but all in all i am doing very well. I walk a lot, my physio has given me the all clear to walk 4 x 30 minutes a day (although i dont get the time with uni exam study and sleeping), i have to play catch up during the day for what i lose at night.

I know everyone is different with different circumstances but as ive said before where there is nerve or disc issues the time that passes is like a ticking clock in terms of the possability of permanent damage. Do think very carefully but also try and come to the decision swiftly. I know I willbe fine once im clear of my recovery period. As sean said he is giving himself a year to 100% be back to normal and i think this is realistic.

Love and long distance hugs
    Brooke

Old 11-22-2003, 03:51 PM   #513
    Monas

Monas HB User

Brooke!!
    i cant believe johnny kicked that goal in the dieing seconds!! on his non preferred foot!!! my mate had his bday lasy nite, we hiring a big screen to watch the game outside, would have been a fantastic night. i missed out though, i lied down on my bed and all of a sudden my back was so sore, had a very busy day at work so it was like i was running on adrenaline and then it hit me i think i bneed to reduce my hours at work.

like you said your getting sleep but its pretty distrupted so it prob doesnt feel as good as it should.

anyway i have to go to work now ill post again soon.

Old 11-22-2003, 07:00 PM   #514
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Tiah,

Im not the best footy follower at the best of times but i knew when johnny was holding the ball that Australia was in trouble...every time... but we put up a good fight.

Yeah, i think its a good idea that you reduce your hours, your like the energizer bunny, you just keep goin'n'goin'n'goin... thats a shame about your mates B'day, but aint that the beauty of the back, its much like the lors of the manor, what it says..goes!

Hope you're feeling a little better today. Not too long till surgery time and you'll feel so much better

Love and hugs
    Brooke

Old 11-24-2003, 09:53 AM   #515
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Hello Everyone,

Just a quick update on me and a check in to see how everyone is going.

My pain meds are significantly reduced only 2 tablets at night now, and 2 paracetamol at about 4am and im fine for the day. Im in discomfort during the day but its nothing i need to medicate against.

I will be 4 weeks post op tommorrow. I am also having a hydrotherapy appointment tommorrow, just to walk in water. Its been raining a lot here and i have not been able to go for walks so im looking forward to this.

My spasms have either stopped or are not painful anymore. By that i mean evenry time i change positions in bed all my muscles contract (like what happens when you stretch when you get out of bed in the morning) but i cant stop it happening. It doesnt hurt though. Very strange.

Perhaps the worst thing i experience now is just tiredness. I have exams coming up left, right and center and dont really get much time to study because i sleep a lot (recovery is assume) and so i am starting to get migranes from stress. Oh well, it takes my mind off my back.

Its very early Tuesday morning over here and I have been constantly having strange dreams and the one i just had was bad so im killing some time before trying to continue sleeping without that dreamcoming back LOL.

How is everyone going? There are a few we havent heard from for a while, I hope you're making the most of pain free back episodes and that there have been no dramas with anyone.

Lots of love and long distance hugs
    Brooke

Old 11-26-2003, 06:03 AM   #516
    davidc
    (male)

davidc HB User

Well, here I am at two weeks post-op.

I am doing somewhat better each day, but can't wait until the staples come out tomorrow. They are driving me nuts as they always seem to dig in every time I roll over and especially when I try to sleep on my back. I have to shift myself quite a bit to get comfortable. I have two Black and Tan Miniature Daschund dogs that I call my monsters that insist on fighting me for couch space. They follow me everywhere I go and I have to get quite stern with them until I am settled in and then let them curl up around me. I couldn't have better companions to keep me from getting bored while I stay at home alone to rejuvenate.

My left foot still feels swollen up slightly as it feels quite a bit tighter in my slipper than my right foot. However, at the same time, my toes do feel quite a bit 'looser' than they were as I can wiggle them a bit more since I first got home.
    They still feel 'bound' up all the time but I am going to have to give the nerves time to get used to not being squished and get back to their normal shape.

My doc put me on Tylenol #3 - two pills four times a day or when needed. For the past couple of days I have taken them twice a day as the pain has reduced significantly as well since I came home.

Oh, to lounge in a hot bath. I guess that won't happen for at least three months, but I am so looking forward to it. Because I still have my dressing on over the staples, I still haven't been able to have a shower yet, only being able to wash myself by hand. I am going to SOAK under that shower tomorrow after I get my staples out until I run out of hot water.

Well, my 'sitting' time is up and I have to get off my computer.

It sounds like everybody that has had surgery is doing well for the most part. Hang in there and give the healing process time to work. For those out there still contemplating whether it is a good idea to proceed with surgery, let me re-confirm to you that I would do it again in a second, and wish I could have had it done a year ago instead of having to wait for 13 months.

Cheers,
    David

Old 11-26-2003, 09:42 AM   #517
    shg

shg HB User

Hello all,

Sorry I haven't written in a while, I was on vacation, something I haven't been able to do for a long time and it was great. It included a 6.5 hour plane ride there and an 4.5 ride back. I can't tell you how great it feels to be active...now all I have to do is work on losing a little weight, I've put on 14lbs since the operation...by no means am I overweight, I just want to get back into fighting weight now that I can.

Tiah,

I'm glad I could help you and I'm glad things are going well for you. As of now, I'm working full-time, that's at least 10 hours a day and I did that around day 30 and have been ever since. That is NOT to say that everyone should do what I did b/c you shouldn't. It's a personal thing and something that you need to work out within yourself. But hey, if you can do it, set the goal and don't stop! Keep the questions coming.

Old 11-26-2003, 09:44 AM   #518
    shg

shg HB User

David,

Great news...I'm so happy for you...now that your post-op like us, let the fun begin...keep up the positive attitude.

SHG

Old 11-26-2003, 03:13 PM   #519
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Hi All,

Just an update. Yesterday was the first day i had a full day out of the house (well 7:30am - 2pm) i had a very gentle hydro appointment for an hour as my legs are tightening up a lot and that went well, and then had to catch a bus and train to the shops. I was there for about 2 hours and then home. I was sore for about 30 minutes in which time a bit of rest healed that. I went to bed around 9pm and slept till 9am. First time i havent woken up.

It seems the amount i sleep during the day was probably affecing my night sleep more than pain or anything else. I am going to start work in about a week, 4 hours or so, 5 days a week and see how i go.

Ps, just wanted to know do surgeons in the states fuse spondys to the level they have slipped or do they bring them back into alignment then fuse? I was brought back into alignment then fused, one of the only surgeons in Australia that does this. Apparently with better results than the other methods.

Have to go as going out for a bit.

Love and hugs to all
    Brooke

Old 11-26-2003, 04:47 PM   #520
    Monas

Monas HB User

Hey David,
    sounds like you're doing great!! i bet you can't wait till your staples are out. i think im lucky, cos when i have mu op my neuro will be closing my incision with dissolvable stiches, sounds good to me how much walking are you doing each day?

Shg,
    you're back! thought u'd deserted me haha.
    that is fantastic you were able to go on a vacation! sounds like your doing extremly well. like u said everyone is different, but knowing you are working and getting out and about is great to know, i sure will listen to my body though when my time comes.
    i must admit though my positive attitude has taken a little slip downhill of late, think its got to do with the fact i havent been sleeping more than four hours a night, firstly i can't get comfortable and secondly i just cant sleep no matter what i try and do. then i wake up really early and the minute i open my eyes i feel pain, and i have to roll out of bed and begin another painful day and be tired again. it's really taking it's toll on me, enough for me to be thinking really bad thoughts about giving up this game..

Last but not least my mate brooka!
    you had a full day out hey! good stuff mate!
    hydro would have been good for ya!
    did u treat yourself to anything at the shops?
    will your boss allow you to alter your hours at work if for some reason 5 days a week is a little too much at th moment?
    what will you be doing? supervising in the gym? if thats the case you should be ok

anyway im off to the irish pub again tonite! i'll have a drink or two for you guys

......Tiah xoxo

Old 11-26-2003, 07:47 PM   #521
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Dear Tiah,

Sweety, dont let that spirit of your slide, you'll be counting on that for your recovery. You work a lot considering your condition as well as social stuff too. I know how you feel when it comes to sleep, its been that way for me for a month. But as of yesterday things are still picking up for me and people are still so suprised at how well im doing (me included). You're young like me and we've got that very much on our side! This is the worst it'll get for you, then you'll have your surgery and then you'll have a bit of discomfort after but mark my words things will get better. Really they will!

The last month i found myself getting more and more depressed each day (just from not functioning in the wrold as i did) i seemed locked away with only my thoughts and my aching body everytime i moved but as of yesterday things are looking up.

You need to start cutting back work and just relax so you can be functioning at your healthiest when the time comes for surgery so you come out of it running (so to speak). At night I always have a very peaceful soundtrack playing at the lowest volume but so that i can only just hear the peaceful music and that sends me off to sleep most of the time. Also camomile tea.. all these things, maybe speak to your doctor about a gentle sleeping med, or try getting sleep when ever you can during the day as well so at least your body can get bits and pieces here and there. You've probably heard all this before.

Yep i had hydro from 8-9am yesterday and then i caught a bus and train to the shops where i met my boyfriend around 11:30 then we came home about 1:30pm. I was pretty tired but took the rest of the day easy but never had my midday sleep. I didnt over do it yesterday by any means i was very careful with everything but because it was my first full day I slept last night from 9pm-9am the first full night. So it seems my body is ready to get back to normal in that it is time to miss the midday nap. At least i'm going to see how that goes.

Today I went to claim all the money back from my surgery. My surgeon charges $4000 over the scheduled fee! geez, so the whole thing cost about $8000 and we got back $3000. I intend to make it very worth while and not do anything to compromise my back. My work is also in this shopping center so i went and said hi to all the girls. They're so lovely and one of them drove me home so i didnt have to catch the bus. I am going to start back at work on Monday December 8 for 3 hours and then maybe Wednesday December 10 for 3 hours, and continue at 2 shifts per week until i see how i feel or what my surgeon says. Im on reception at the moment but ive told my boss that i dont want to be on my own, so she's going to put me on when there's always someone nearby..She's really accomodating and will always work to fit me in.

I do hope you have a better day and keep your chin up, get what ever rest you can. I'm thinking of you.

Lots of love and hugs
    Brooke

Old 11-28-2003, 05:55 PM   #522
    Brooke79
    Senior Veteran

Brooke79 HB User

Hi All,

How is everyone going with their progress? Tiah, how are you feeling about things?

I wanted everyone to know that pretty much at the 1 month post op mark i am sleeping 12 hours each night uninterupted. I have a lot of sleep to catch up on I think.
    I find myself getting a bit snappy and miserable and at times i want to be alone so as not to scare anyone off. I think this is because of my recovery phase, im just not used to slow life..

I hope you are all well,

Love and long distance hugs
    Brooke

Old 12-01-2003, 08:29 PM   #523
    shaukc
    (female)

shaukc HB User

Hello Everyone ! Thought i would tell about my progress so far . Went back to the Dr today for X-rays . Dr said that everything looks great ! Rod , screws and dowels are right where they are suppose to be . I am still only having surgical pain . Hope everyone is doing ok. Shauna

Last edited by shaukc; 12-01-2003 at 08:30 PM.

Closed Thread