It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Good Fusion Outcomes Wanted

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-11-2003, 04:39 PM   #61
    acme

acme HB User
    I had Fusion L-4/L-5 Oct 2001.(Bone graf & hardware) I was 53yrs old at that point. I'm doing Great! No Pain-Drugs-Leg Numbness ect.....
    Went to the fireworks on July 4th. Carried two chairs slung over my shoulders & a picinic basket........walked two miles to get there! No stopping..No pain....
    Also did a 2,000 mile driving Vacation......I drove it all! I didn't have to stop unless I wanted to see the sights (or go pottie) Life is Good!!
    I'm sorry I suffered 14yrs. before opting to have Fusion!
    Good Luck with your upcoming Fusion!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2003, 05:19 AM   #62
    shg

shg HB User
    Magnetlady45,

Thank you for responding to us here. I'm hoping your pain is in fact healing pain and I'm sure if you think back to what you were like before, I hope it's better now and you realize your on the road to healing.

Acme,

Like so many before, this is what we need to hear...thank you so much for sharing this with us...clearly this shows what can be done.

Please tell us what your limitations are and how you went about your rehab...

Thanks,

SHG

Old 08-12-2003, 06:45 AM   #63
    acme

acme HB User
    Good Morning SHG,
    I did PT for 2-weeks. They got carried away with exercises....(more than what my Doc ordered) Did lots of walking! Miles & Miles! My Neuro asked how far do I walk? I said about 2 miles twice a day. He asked if I could walk farther....I said: Sure! Then why don't you?? I said I don't want to!Anyway....My restrictions are more self imposed ! You really don't get much of an answer from Docs....It's ....If it hurts...Don't do it!
    I don't lift heavy objects over 30# or so. Haven't been water sking...Bunji jumping...playing raquet ball..
    But what I can do now is the important stuff!!
    I CAN Drive long distances....Walk.....Sit....climb ladders...get out of bed quickly...enjoy sex....get dressed without a problem...run the vacum cleaner....bend over & pick up stuff(instead of getting on my hands & knees)...
    The only thing that is real noticable is: When backing up my car...I don't/can't twist to look behind me. The Fusion restricted the side to side twisting. SO....I just turn my head futher & scooch a little sideways.
    Life after Fusion has been good & I'm now 55 yrs. old & I can get "Old Guys" meals at some resturants!!
    Hope this helps....

Larry

Old 08-13-2003, 06:06 AM   #64
    shg

shg HB User
    Larry (AKA, Acme - I hope),

Thank you so much!

I'm impressed with the 30lbs number...I thought it wasn't more than 5 or 10...you give me hope; not that I'll be carrying a lot.

I appreciate your words of wisdom. Believe it or not, I save all of this stuff, print it on a seperate paper and go to it for advice and to be sure I have everything I need. I can only hope others facing this do as well.

How long post-op before you were able to drive and do things? Could you play tennis/raquet ball, etc if you wanted too?

For everyone else, sorry I wasn't here much yesterday; I had a really bad day and had to leave work realy early to go home...for the first time in about 2 months, I had to load up on pain meds...I was so upset and discouraged. I even called my doctor and begged to have the operation earlier...he's going to see if he can juggle some things. Anyway, I want one thing to be known...because of eveyone's positives here, I was able to say, lets get into the OR, ASAP...something I wasn't able to do a month ago.

SHG

Old 08-13-2003, 07:06 AM   #65
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Hi:

I started driving after 2 weeks but very short trips. I am now at 5 weeks after surgery and what a difference. Since walking and doing small exercises to strengthen stomach, leg and back muscles and of course doing the heat and cold packs I am doing so much better. Pain has gone down tremendously. Hallelujah! My attitude is so much better which makes my husband so much happier. I was told to wean myself off the corset which I only wore when I was going to be up for quite some time. I do walk 3 times a day for 10 minutes each time. I was told to start walking by my pt. last week on Monday. What a difference! At therapy they put socalled lead wires on my lower back to help stimulate the muscles. I am still taking pain medication but only half strength from 2 weeks ago. I don't want to be addicted to the meds as they are addictive.

Well I will continue to share with you how I am progressing if you would like me too.

Have a good one!

Old 08-13-2003, 07:13 AM   #66
    peytone

peytone HB User
    I have been reading these boards for many months as a form of therapy and support. It is so refreshing to read a thread that is so uplifting that I had to reply. My boyfriend had a one-level 360 degree spinal fusion at L4-L5 with hardware, BMP and hip bone. His surguries were one week apart, anterior first, posterior second. He wore a tortoise shell-like back brace during any upright activity. He just had his 3 month post-op and the surgeon was pleasantly surprised at how much bone has grown so far. His pain level has gone from a 7 to a 2-3ish. The surgeon told him he could have a back brace burning party, was cleared for PT and can now return to work. He is 37, good shape and doesn't smoke. He wasn't able to get out of the hospital bed until day 3, very sore, especially from the anterior aproach and harvested hip bone. He has been walking 1-3 miles a day for the past 2 months. He also thought he would be doing more by now but it is so important to listen to the surgeon and your body. Thanks for the opportunity to tell my story.

Old 08-13-2003, 07:14 AM   #67
    peytone

peytone HB User
    I have been reading these boards for many months as a form of therapy and support. It is so refreshing to read a thread that is so uplifting that I had to reply. My boyfriend had a one-level 360 degree spinal fusion at L4-L5 with hardware, BMP and hip bone. His surguries were one week apart, anterior first, posterior second. He wore a tortoise shell-like back brace during any upright activity. He just had his 3 month post-op and the surgeon was pleasantly surprised at how much bone has grown so far. His pain level has gone from a 7 to a 2-3ish. The surgeon told him he could have a back brace burning party, was cleared for PT and can now return to work. He is 37, good shape and doesn't smoke. He wasn't able to get out of the hospital bed until day 3, very sore, especially from the anterior aproach and harvested hip bone. He has been walking 1-3 miles a day for the past 2 months. He also thought he would be doing more by now but it is so important to listen to the surgeon and your body. Thanks for the opportunity to tell my story.

Old 08-13-2003, 07:15 AM   #68
    peytone

peytone HB User
    Smile

Old 08-13-2003, 07:28 AM   #69
    SharonJ

SharonJ HB User
    Wow, all of the encouraging information and good news here is just wonderful. It is really filling me with hope and helping me to be less frightened. Thank you to SHG for starting this thread and thank you to all who have some here and told their stories.

SHG, I am so sorry to hear that you've been having a rough time. I got to the point a few months ago, where I told my company "no more travelling". Then about 2 weeks ago, it was getting almost impossible for me to walk from the parking lot into my office. One day, I had to had someone bring me a chair when I got into the building so that I could rest a few minutes before getting to my own office. That was it. Now I'm working from home and able to put all my energy into actually working, and not getting from point A to point B. It has made it much easier. And since I don't have to drag myself around as much, I am way less exhausted by the end of the day. Good thing, since I can't sleep well anyway. Is this something you could do? Could you work from home until the surgery? My plan is to work from home till the surgery, then start up again 2-3 weeks after the surgery, again from home. I'm hoping to get back into the office by the middle-end of October.

------------------
    Each and everyday you have the opportunity to Choose Your Attitude. Choose wisely.
    Grade 1 Spondylolisthesis for 26 years, recently progressed to Grade II
    With marked canal and foraminal stenosis and severe compression of L5 Nerve root.
    Scheduled for L5/S1 360 degree fusion on 9/8
    DDD and bone spurs T11-S1
    Herniated C3-C4
    Disk/spur complex C4-C5
    Significant bone spurs C5-C6
    Can anyone say "just give me a whole new spine!"
    With marked canal and foraminal stenosis and severe compression of L5 Nerve root.
    360 degree L5/S1 fusion on September 8th with 6 screws and 2 rods. My pain is 99.9% gone...this is the best thing I've ever done!
    Herniated C3-C4
    Disk/spur complex C4-C5
    Significant bone spurs C5-C6. Told that my C-spine will not be helped by surgery.

Old 08-13-2003, 07:37 AM   #70
    SharonJ

SharonJ HB User
    Wow, all of the encouraging information and good news here is just wonderful. It is really filling me with hope and helping me to be less frightened. Thank you to SHG for starting this thread and thank you to all who have some here and told their stories.

SHG, I am so sorry to hear that you've been having a rough time. I got to the point a few months ago, where I told my company "no more travelling". Then about 2 weeks ago, it was getting almost impossible for me to walk from the parking lot into my office. One day, I had to had someone bring me a chair when I got into the building so that I could rest a few minutes before getting to my own office. That was it. Now I'm working from home and able to put all my energy into actually working, and not getting from point A to point B. It has made it much easier. And since I don't have to drag myself around as much, I am way less exhausted by the end of the day. Good thing, since I can't sleep well anyway. Is this something you could do? Could you work from home until the surgery? My plan is to work from home till the surgery, then start up again 2-3 weeks after the surgery, again from home. I'm hoping to get back into the office by the middle-end of October.

------------------
    Each and everyday you have the opportunity to Choose Your Attitude. Choose wisely.
    Grade 1 Spondylolisthesis for 26 years, recently progressed to Grade II
    Scheduled for L5/S1 360 degree fusion on 9/8
    Herniated C3-C4
    Disk/spur complex C4-C5
    Significant bone spurs C5-C6
    Can anyone say "just give me a whole new spine!"
    360 degree L5/S1 fusion on September 8th with 6 screws and 2 rods. My pain is 99.9% gone...this is the best thing I've ever done!
    Herniated C3-C4
    Disk/spur complex C4-C5
    Significant bone spurs C5-C6. Told that my C-spine will not be helped by surgery.

Old 08-13-2003, 08:56 AM   #71
    acme

acme HB User
    Cool

SHG,
    Don't know if I could play raquet ball or tennis. Raquet ball is pretty violent...Lots of twisting,quick bending,smashing the ball, & slaming into walls ect..
    I started driving after 1-month.(Drs. orders) I could have driven earlier!
    Was in the Back brace 1-1/2 months then the Doc said lose it!(New yrs. Day 2002)
    Was a Great way to start the new year!
    I'll be mowing my lawn tonight & playing ping pong with my Son....or ....maybe Frisbe.....
    It's Wonderfull being a whole person again!!
    As my dear departed Dad always said: I have good Health....what else do I need!!

Old 08-13-2003, 12:48 PM   #72
    shg

shg HB User
    magnetlady45,

Thank you for your input...I hope to have the success you have had.

Peytone,

I'm glad you approve of this thread...after being through this for so long, I needed this for myself and with a simple topic of, "good fusion outcomes wanted," the responses started to come in. I;m so glad for this thread and it's amazing that it all started with a simple question.

Now onto you, when was your boyfriends surgery? Did you have the operation in CT or somewhere else? Please tell us more...and be sure to use us for the support you and he needs.

SharonJ,

Thank you for your kind thoughts. Hey, if I get my wish, I hope to have my surgery sooner...just like you...see, not only do we have similar aspirations but if all goes well, I hope to have it done as soon as you. Funny how my goal now is to have it ASAP! Things really do change.

Acme,

I'm so happy for you and I know I'll try to play tennis for both of us one day

Old 08-13-2003, 02:13 PM   #73
    peytone

peytone HB User
    Hi SHG,

My boyfriend had 2 surgeries, the anterior approach was on 4/9 followed by posterior fusion on 4/16. The surgeons initial intention was just do an anterior spinal fusion, however during surgery he felt it necessary to go in thru the back to secure the cage with screws in order to achieve a solid fusion. Time didn't allow for a 360 "on the spot" as to avoid infection etc, so the surgeon opted to close the area and follow up with a second surgery. His surgery was in NYC at Beth Isreal, with one of the top ortho's. We researched and visited so many doctors in CT and NY but felt NYC was THE place to go. He has a back history and is still suffering consequences from a dura leak from a previous laser laminotomy surgery last year (long story, took place in florida), so it was imperative he was in the right hands. We found out that it really pays to do your homework. Sorry if I rambled on but it feels so good to "talk" to other people in similar situations.

Old 08-13-2003, 03:24 PM   #74
    shg

shg HB User
    Peytone,

NO apologies necessary in fact, it's what we expect and want here...please, KEEP IT COMING. It seems as if he's on his way to recovery and with your help, dedication and caring, it's going to happen sooner rather than later.

Keep it up,

SHG

Old 08-14-2003, 09:25 AM   #75
    Catdaddy76
    Inactive

Catdaddy76 HB User
    Cool

Hey everyone, I had a spinal fusion of L5/S1 for Grade 1 "spondy" i am however only 27 years old, i do smoke and i am probably about 30lbs overweight. I was a carpenter and loved to hunt and fish etc.. But in june the pain got to unbearable so i went to my neurosurgeon and he said a fusion of L5/S1 is what needed to be done. Young and scared was not the word's to describe the way i felt. So after much thought july 15 of this year we done the surgery. I am happy to say that this is 4 weeks and a day later and i feel great. I have been off pain meds for 2 weeks. I am walking 1 to 2 miles per day. I still can't bend got to wait until x-rays in October. It took a toll on me the first week. But without the Good Lord helping give me the strength, I would never have made it. It is so easy to give up and say "I will never get better" but it is also easy to just ask god for the strength to go another day. If a person is going to lay in bed and say i can't do this or that give me a pain pill they are giving up. Don't reach for pain pills reach for the treadmill get up WALK!!!!!! you can do it. If you lay in the bed you will never get better. Get up and walk and you can do anything with time. Now you tell me is that not a positive statement? THANK YOUU AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

Closed Thread