It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• L5-S1 Hemilaminectomy with microdisectomy 2

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-23-2003, 07:53 AM   #286
    Mistina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mistina HB User
    Re: L5-S1 Hemilaminectomy with microdisectomy 2

Hey Mark!
    Question for ya, you say that you work at a computer all day too. How long after surgery did you go back to work? Did you have to go to work when you flared up 3.5 months post surgery? How long before you were okay with working all day?
    I hate it, I will start to get the inflammation down a little on the weekends then it doesn't help at all when I have to go back in on Monday. It's a viscious cycle!!!
    Do you get sore now and have to use ice?

Christina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2003, 08:14 AM   #287
    mspsub
    Inactive

mspsub HB User

Hiya Christina!

I came back to work 5 weeks postop. It was really tough, but I found a computer countdown timer (freeware called 1time) that I set for 20 minutes so I get up and stretch. I was able to work full days because I was able to lay down every so often and on the really bad days I telecommuted. BTW I was working from home two days after surgery...just checking in and making sure that my project (software product release) was moving along...helping where I could.

About the flare up...Yes I had to work. The Dr gave me some Endocets since I requested something to help, but not keep my from working/driving. I would find an empty office and lay down....my boss even brought in a cot...never took him up on it....did not want others (execs) to feel that I was not "capable" of carrying out my duties.

Like you I would work all week...I would do nothing on the weekend...my wife wanted to make sure that I was ready for Monday again and then start the inflammation cycle on Monday.

I believe that the ice helped keep the inflammation down...give it a try.

Currently I do not need ice...unless I overdo things...easy to do during the holidays. My back becomes weak/fatiqued more often than it gets sore. I do get some hip/leg pain if I am up too long or walk too far, but it is very managable.

Keep your spirits up...you will be where I am with time!

HTH,

Mark

Old 12-23-2003, 08:53 AM   #288
    Mistina
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Mistina HB User

Mark,
    Once again, thanks!
    I really feel like you know what I am talking about. I never think anyone understands. Although, I do feel like my pain and problems are worse than yours because I'm so annoyed but I'm sure that it is just me. Who knows!
    That would be nice to lay down and I probably could I just feel like they will just replace me. They'll say thing like " Why don't you get disability". I don't want that, I just want to get better.
    I did try the ice last night when I got home. I can't really tell if it helped or not but I'm gonna keep using it. I'm gonna go home on my lunch and lay down with the ice pack. It's that dang pain in my sacrum/dimple area that really kills me. You know, the red hot poker! Plus, it is raining here in PA, yuck!
    I'm taking your word and praying that I get relief soon!! Your words of encouragment are helping a great deal!!
    Thank you so much!!
    Bye for now!
    Christina

[

Old 12-23-2003, 12:38 PM   #289
    mspsub
    Inactive

mspsub HB User

Christina!

I am glad I have helped. I have been hanging around the boards even after I have been feeling better bacause so many others helped me when I was where you find yourself now~not knowing if you will every recover.

You will!

Happy Holidays!

Mark

Old 12-23-2003, 03:54 PM   #290
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User

Happy Holidays to all my friends here!!! Just wanted to pop in and say hi and give you all an update. Unfortunately, it's not the best, but.... what are you going to do. OK, I'm just over 6 mos post l5/s1 micro-d. My pain is exactly the same as it was pre-surgery (that's the bad part). The good part is, is isn't agonizing or anything. Just very annoying and sometimes very painful but 1 or even a 1/2 vicodin curbs it to liveable (I take it daily). So I count my blessings. I was hoping for the nerve to stop hurting, but that's not the case (not that I've given up hope yet!!!). Anyway, my hurting is only in my foot, but I get it every day after I've been moving around for several hours. I might try that nerve herb that someone wrote about (ok, I admit, I still lurk here!!!). I am still glad I had the surgery because at least I know it's nerve damage, and not some fragment that can be jarred, causing a full blown sciatic attack (the worst!!!). I do bend over if need be without any problems. Have not had to lift anything heavy, but with any lifting I make sure to bend at the knees, and keep whatever I'm lifting close to my body, even a basket of laundry. The TENS unit helped for a while, then became ineffective. Only thing that seems to help is the vicodin. I'm not too worried about taking it, cause most days it's only a half to 1 pill a day. On the weekends if I have to work around the house, then go grocery shopping, I may take a 2nd one. I can't imagine that can be too bad for me... Anyway, that's my update. I see my neurologist (not surgeon) on Jan. 9th. Maybe there's something new he can try. If not, then just keep my meds going and I'll be alright.
    Well, just wanted to pop in. Like I said, I still read a lot of the posts, but I do it at work and just don't have the time to respond. I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a Happy and HEALTHY New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take care all! ~Daubie
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    9/5/03 still have foot pain and numbness but recovered fine from surgery
    1/19/04 I am 7 mos post op. I still have the same foot pain as before surgery. Doc agrees it is probably permanent nerve damage. Started neurontin this week. Still glad I had the surgery though!

Closed Thread