It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• L5-S1 Hemilaminectomy with microdisectomy 2

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-09-2003, 10:07 PM   #1
    Rosarita

Rosarita HB User
    Post L5-S1 Hemilaminectomy with microdisectomy 2

Hi Everyone, it's Rosa. Boy, have I been gone for a while. I've been having extra medical problems. Tell you about them later. 831 responses, that's impressive. There are a lot of new people here that I don't know and a few old timers. I can't wait to read everything I've missed. My recovery has been slower than I expected but considering the amount of work my doc did, I'm doing well. At my last appointment he admitted that I had major surgery done and that it may take over a year to get over it. I thought I had done something wrong because after four months I still can't bend or sit in the tub. My husband had to help me in the tub and wash my lower legs and back because my shoulders hurt. I was two shades of dirty and I tried to turn it into a sexual experience but he turned me down. I wonder why!

The kids are doing well. They start school in two weeks, thank you Jesus. They are pigs and should be destroyed!

You know I checked into the cervical board and they are not as lively as everyone is here. I've also been reading the arthritis boards, the back boards are the best. I'll check back tomorrow. I have a lot to tell everyone. I need everyone's opinion...I don't have any tattoos and want around my incision tattooed. A beautiful tree was what I had in mind, my family said no. What do you think?

Goodnight to everyone and have a pain free day.

Luv,
    Rosa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2003, 08:11 AM   #2
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User
    Wow, got our thread discontinued! Wonder if that's ever happened before? Thanks Rosa for restarting it. Nice to hear from you too! Curious how your doing other than not being able to bend? Pain, numbness etc? About the tatoo, OUCH! I couldn't even think of having one on normal skin, let alone an incision!!!
    ~Laura, how are you today? Sure hope the PT helps you with the flexibility in the back, and you're right, although I'm an l5/s1er, I have no problems with my back, just leg. I'm sure the pt will help you with that- that's what they're there for, right? I know what you mean about remembering how many reps for each exercise. I just wing it! As far as the job goes, I will definately look for closer to home! Mokita posted on a different thread about becoming certified to do medical claims/transcribing from home. I am going to look into that! Right now, because I'm planning on sticking it out till the end, I'm not going to start looking. Oh well, time will tell. Fall is beautiful here, my favorite season except it preceeds winter! First snow is usually in early Nov. And the crack about me preferring brocolli, I LOL and told hubby, because you are right!!! He eats the frozen peas as fast as I buy them. RAW, and FROZEN, mind you. As a snack. How strange is that??? I could never figure what you guys meant by bending at the hips, not the waist. I was going to ask you, but Thom did a great job explaining it.
    ~Thom, thanks for explaining the spine neutral thing. I had to stand up and try it, and now I finally understand what it means to bend at the hip. I usually bend sideways for the little things like lifting the toilet seat, but now I will practice what you said. I can definately tell the difference between the bend. Anyway, thank you!!! By the way, what is YMMV? I not savvy on all the net talk, but can usually figure it out. I may have to check out that store you're talking about and see about what goodies they have to help with everday sitting. And boy do I know what you mean about the darn knobs on the bottom of the chair! Every time I go to a conference room I have to move around to find a chair that "fits", because I can't be bending over to adjust it.
    Well, the zoo was fun. I did take a vicodin, just to be on the safe side, then we got home and our cat (Daubie, BTW) was very sick so we had to take him to emergency. By the time we got home (minus the cat) it was close to 2:00 am and my back was very fatigued. Good news, I woke up at 7:00 and felt fine! Cat will be fine, but he was dehydrated and needed meds, so we had to leave him there. It will be about a 600$ bill (ouch!).
    Well, I hope everyone has a GREAT day. Hi to everone!!!!!!!!! ~Daubie

------------------
    Car Accident 2/2/02
    Herniated disc L5/S1
    Epidurals x3, PT 4 mos, some relief
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    9/5/03 still have foot pain and numbness but recovered fine from surgery
    1/19/04 I am 7 mos post op. I still have the same foot pain as before surgery. Doc agrees it is probably permanent nerve damage. Started neurontin this week. Still glad I had the surgery though!

Old 08-10-2003, 03:39 PM   #3
    Onyx

Onyx HB User
    Cool

Thanks for the invite and the reply Daubie, if anyone wants to catch up on whats wrong with me, go ahead and check the thread "Recovering From a Two Level Discectomy/Laminotomy by Onyx" its easier than retyping it ;^).
    And Rosarita, I'm sorry the pain and problems your dealing with, but you're not crazy, I told my husband that I wanted a tattoo on my incision too once I was healed up and well again, I don't have any tats but good place as any to start, right? The tree idea sounds beautiful, but please wait till your not in any kind of pain anymore okay?
    Well I hope to get to know all of you on the boards, and wishing y'all painfree days as much as possible and lots of smiles(((hugs))) Onyx

Old 08-10-2003, 03:52 PM   #4
    ddp11
    (female)

ddp11 HB User
    Hi all! I bet we made history here on the back boards--getting a thread closed because it was too long!!

Rosa--WELCOME BACK!!!!! I'm so glad you checked in because I was wondering where you went! Sorry you've had some troubles, but you're such a strong person, so I'm sure you'll get through it! I hope you continue to keep us updated. I try to check in once a week or so, but things are so crazy that it's hard to find the time. Tuesday will mark 6 months post-op for me and I really can't believe it. This summer has absolutely flown by, although it doesn't even feel like summer. The weather out east has been AWFUL, but oh well--what can you do? Oh yeah, and regarding the tatoo, it's funny you mentioned that. Everyone that sees my scar says I should think about getting a tattoo around it... I haven't really thought seriously about it, but I guess it's certainly an option. I'd wait though until you're sure it's completely healed... mine's still an ugly shade of pink and a little sensitive to the touch, so I wouldn't feel comfortable getting one just yet.

Well, I hope you all had a great weekend. I waterskied 3 times--woo hoo!!!!

[img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif[/img] Kristen

Old 08-10-2003, 06:22 PM   #5
    Tung-Sol
    (male)

Tung-Sol HB User
    Yea, we're back, thank you Rosa! I agree with Daubie ... I dunno about anybody going near my incision with a sharp needle!!!

Daubie ... glad you got something out of the neutral spine thing, I was amazed when she had me hold the stick on my back and try to bend, it does make the whole concept very clear. Oh, and YMMV means Your-Mileage-May-Vary (from mine, etc.).

Glad your kitty will be fine. We have three and so far (2 are over 12 yrs. old) no big vet bills, but they are indoor cats. Around here the avg. life span of an outdoor cat is less than two years. We have a neighbor with a 12 year old that does roam around outside (tough old dude) and they just spent close to $1000 on him after a nasty abcess, poor guy.

Well, drove some more today, decided to go looking at new cars for Karen (my idea, stoopid). Getting in and out was no fun. Got home and did my PT then walked a mile. I felt better than ever, for the first half mile, but I guess I over did it ... the walk back home was pretty gimpy, my left leg turned to rubber, ugh.

Daubie, do you do any PT on your ankle? She has me using a long rubber band, it's about 8" wide and 4 feet long. I use it looped my foot, stretching it and working the ankle up, down, then each side. Karen holds the two ends and moves around to supply the tension for each direction. I swear it's starting to help the foot drop and numbness in my foot.

Well, hi to everyone, have a good week!

Thom

------------------
    herniated L4-L5, free frag with footdrop approx. 6-30-03 with a month of lower back pain prior to that
    laminectomy/discectomy 07-14
    I have 5mm herniation of L5-S1 on right side that is asymptomatic, no surgery recommended

Old 08-10-2003, 10:06 PM   #6
    seeksbliss
    (female)

seeksbliss HB User
    Hi to everyone! Tung-Sol...please give more detail on dropped foot exercises you do that are helping!! I live alone, so what can I do? I'm still praying for a miracle after three months of no improvement. Anything else you can think of would be appreciated! Anything else the PT does for specifically for dropped foot? This site has reached new heights! Hi to everyone...I still have a lot to go back and read that you've written, but I will do that this week!

------------------
    1987-2003=L4-5 herniated disc that only flared up once or twice a year causing back & leg pain.
    L4-5 disc ruptured worse & broke in March 2003, which left a piece pressing on nerve root, causing severe dropped foot,leg/ankle numbness & weakness. Numbness disappeared on it's own BEFORE surgery.
    Hemilaminectomy/Microdiscetomy May 1, 2003.
    Dropped foot & ankle weakness not improved since surgery.
    Age 50

Old 08-11-2003, 05:10 AM   #7
    Suddzrus
    (male)

Suddzrus HB User
    Talking

Hi Laura, Daubie and HNP. Laura I hear rumors both good and bad about bending in the future. My surgeon and PT are under the impression that I will lead a normal life with no restrictions in the future and will be inclined to reherniate just as any normal person would be to herniate in the first place. I also however hear rumors of never bending from the waist again. With I have done now for 6 months and is quite a living agony not to be able to bend and pick something up. to tell you the truth I am quite sick of squatting everywhere I go. I have slowly started to hang and try to touch my toes, very gently but just to start to stretch that area of my back out and wow is it tight! Well I am getting some numbness and tingling in my foot still, and some cramping in the right calf where the sciatic nerve was pinched. How are you guys all doing? I hope this irritation will go away eventually. I start school in 2 1/2 weeks nad I want to feel my best for the first weeks. I have plans of geting back involved in sports etc. this year and I I will need the ability to bend lol. My priorities huh? Well i hope you are all doing well and yes I am ok from the car accident, what luck I have huh? Well to all a wonderful morning, I have not slept yet since I am eager to meet with my surgeon for the final time on tuesday. I hope he gives me the clear! Well night all and I hope everyone is doing wonderful.
    -Coby
    • Ruptured L5 S1 and nerve damage
    • Hemilaminectomy/Discectomy, medial facectomy on 2-20-03
    • Pain is getting better every week
    • Residual numbness and pain in foot, butt, calf
    • Rehabing at new PT and getting better
    • Still have numbness and occasional pain in leg
    • Eric Davis goes to the same PT as me! I'm in good hands!

Old 08-11-2003, 09:26 AM   #8
    Rosarita

Rosarita HB User
    Good morning everyone! I posted yesterday and lost it all. Well I guess I'm back to my old tricks. Being able to bend again in the future is a good question. I've been struggling with that one myself. Squatting isn't any fun for me especially since my right knee is acting up. I'm beginning to believe I have arthritis in it. I forget and sometimes before I know it I've bent over and oh my goodness. The ns doesn't want me to bend my back again in life. I still have to buy an adjustable chair for the kitchen because bending to put things in or take things out of the oven isn't working. I have to call somebody to do it for me. Not fun.

Kristen, I'm proud of you. You've come a long way. I have a story. My daughter taught me how to do the booty dance in Beyonce's video. The only problem was you could see her doing the dance and boy can she do it. I can do the dance quite well but only in my mind. I stood there doing the dance in my mind because actually moving my behind was not going to work.

It takes time and pushing it isn't going to help. Okay I'll check back in later.

HNP, I've missed you. Gotta tell you my cane story. You'll get a kick out of it!

Luv to you all,

Rosa

Old 08-11-2003, 09:38 AM   #9
    back2basics
    (female)

back2basics HB User
    Hello Everyone!!

Sorry it's been a few days since my last post. Just very busy lately, both at home and at work. Hope everyone is doing well. I was surprised to find we have a new string.

I am still improving daily it seems. I am just past my 3 month anniversary. I do still have some numbness in my left foot, but not nearly what it was pre-surgery. I am still very careful about bending, although I have caught myself starting to a couple of times. My extented PT has been approved and I continue to go 2 times a week.

I noticed that the jumpiness, cramps and shooting pain that I was experiencing in my left leg have decreased to a once in awhile thing now. Usually when I sit or lay funny and somehow put pressue on the nerve I think.

Hubby and I attended a wedding this weekend and I was even able to dance a little. Didn't push it too much though, I wasn't sure if my freestyle (only way I know how to dance), way of dancing should be done quite yet.

Now for the real news!! Hubby and I are now able to have "pretty much pre-surgery type" sex. We are still being very carefull, but not nearly as restrained as it has been since surgery. (Now you know the real reason I haven't been on the board much!!)

Enough about my progress....

Coby, so glad you are ok after the accident. Did you get the Dr to check it out, or are you just feeling better?

Laura: It's always good to hear from you. You always know just the right thing to say to make me smile!! (Babies, West Nile and Sars) I have had a lot of people compliment me on the shower. Had a ton of food left over though!! I'm glad to hear you found a PT you are happy with.

Thom: Did you buy the Aeron chair?? Are you still looking? Sounds like you are improving/healing at a good pace. Keep up the walking and PT.

Daubie: Did I answer all your questions on symptoms above?? Let me know if I can clarify anything. I am glad you have such good PT people working with you. Sounds like they are committed to helping you get rid of the pain you are still experiencing.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!!

Dee

I

------------------
    5/7/2003-Laminectomy/Discetomy L4/L5 & L5/S1
    Onset of Pain & numbness in left leg/foot 7/2002
    MRI showed Herniated discs L4/L5 & L5/S1
    Physical Therapy did not help
    Oral steroids seemed to help some
    2 Epidurals - didn't seem to help as much as the oral steroids

Old 08-11-2003, 04:36 PM   #10
    toyqt

toyqt HB User
    Hi there! I don't mean to jump in on ya'lls thread (you've had this one going so long, you're like a big family!) but I just wanted to say 1 thing.

I would be very careful about getting a tat on your lower back...strangely enough, that is exactly what herniated my L5-S1. I had never had back pain in my life until I had mine done, and the docs attribute it to lying in that position so long (approx 4 hours) on a table that was possibly too soft and allowed my spine to arch just a little too much. I knew the instant I tried to stand up afterward that something was horribly wrong, and was in terrible pain/crying, etc. My hubbie had to almost carry me to the car (I couldn't stand up straight) and I've had nothing but probs ever since.

It sounds like a great way of hiding your scar though! Silly me, even after it causing all of this pain for me, I'm so proud of it that I'm worried my incision is going to mess it up!

Hope you all have a great day, and that everyone is continuing to recover well!

Stacey
    PLIF scheduled for September 16, 2003

Edited to add that I'm sorry to scare you, or try to influence you at all...I'm not against tats, I just wanted you to be sure that when you go, you are positioned properly, and are allowed plenty of breaks to get up and walk around and stretch! Especially since you've already had surgery!

[This message has been edited by toyqt (edited 08-11-2003).]

Old 08-11-2003, 05:34 PM   #11
    Onyx

Onyx HB User
    Cool

Hi y'all!

I will say I'm impressed at how each of you deal with the recovery of surgery. Its only been a week, and I'm already aggravated, I want to be walking and doing everything that I did before I ever injured my back.
    Think I overdid it the past few days walking trying to strenghten my legs and muscles, spent most of the day in bed, I was so sore. As for the tattoo, toytq I never would have considered that it would cause you a back problem in the first place, its definitely something to consider. Well hope all of you are doing well and have a great day.

------------------
    L4/L5(9mm)L5/S1(6mm)Herniations since 12/26/02 Severe Spasming down Left Buttock/Leg and Foot
    Two Level Discetomy/Laminotomy (Micro)on 8/5/03
    Leg Pain Gone Still some numbness in lower leg and foot, but was worth it. Hoping to heal well.

Old 08-12-2003, 09:47 AM   #12
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User
    Hi all. I posted 3 TIMES last nite, and got kicked off the internet all 3 times. Talk about frustrating! So, need to type fast today as I'm at lunch. Had a GREAT day yesterday, NO Foot pain all day!!! I was sooo excited as I haven't had a pain free day in over a year!! Well, short lived, foot hurting again today, but I still think it's a great sign. Will let you know. Also yesterday I was getting a lot of foot buzzing where I'm numb, thinking that's gotta be good too.
    ~Onyx, welcome, and glad you made it to the thread!
    ~Kristen, sooo glad to hear you are doing so well. I hope to snow ski in the future, sounds like maybe I will! Keep up the good work!!!
    ~Thom, overdid it, eh? How are you today? Did you use your peas (smile)??? Re ankle PT, yes, he has me do the same thing with the big rubber band, but only moving the foot ******d because my foot is very weak. I think the new shoes and ultrasound are helping a lot. So your numbness is getting better??? Woohoo!
    ~Coby, I am so glad you didn't suffer any major problems from your car accident! Bet you can't wait to start school, eh? Tell us about your doctor visit today!
    ~Toygt, welcome, and thanks for sharing your experience with us. May help some who are thinking about a tattoo (NOT ME!!!!, OUCH!!!!). Sure hope you get relief with your surgery!
    Hi to everyone else, would like to type more but gotta go back to work. Take care. ~Daubie!~

------------------
    Car Accident 2/2/02
    Herniated disc L5/S1
    Epidurals x3, PT 4 mos, some relief
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    1/19/04 I am 7 mos post op. I still have the same foot pain as before surgery. Doc agrees it is probably permanent nerve damage. Started neurontin this week. Still glad I had the surgery though!

Old 08-12-2003, 02:09 PM   #13
    TexMich

TexMich HB User
    Hi to Kristen,Daubie,Dee,Lisa,Seeks,Linda,Thom,Dave,David,ROSA-YEAyou'reback!, Onyx,Stacey-a special welcome!,
    HNP & Coby!!!(& anyone else I missed!)

Hope not too many were affected(infected) by the Windows XP worm. Daubie- I'm a bit worried about you since you were 'kicked of' your computer last nite- hope it's not this worm cr*p! Well, my hubby won't eat frozen or canned peas at all - but FROZEN for snacks? At least it's a healthy snack! But why couldn't he have liked broccoli instead?! I think I'm gonna try them as a snack now. Wow! I'm hoping with you that little nerve is just waking up on you!! Best of luck Daubie!

Seeks- you're right- sounds like it's a great idea for you to try that foot exercise too! Best of luck with it!

Dee, gooooooo girl! [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif[/img] So happy that you're getting your 'groove' back! (never saw that movie-hope I didn't just wish you something bad!!) Seriously tho, keep up the good work!

Coby-(& maybe Dave too??-but you may wanna get special permission from your PT or ask for the best at your stage post op to PREVENT the prob- since Coby & I are 5 or 6 mos into post op- maybe too early for you for these particular exercises) - anyway-about our prob:
    I asked the PT for specific exercises to loosen up what seems to me to be from L4 down to S1 & horizontally across the Sacrum - they gave me some slow, gentle - but definitely stretching the area - type exercises. One was kneel on the bed on your knees with your hands flat on bed holding you up. Push back & sit all the way back on your feet (gently/slowly) - keeping your head down & your arms outstretched & in front of you, and your chest low - you shld feel a good stretch. KEEP your butt down! Hold position for count of 20 or so, CONTINUE BREATHING thru out this exercise!, then slowly (keep your bottom on your feet) 'walk' your hands to the right- keeping the stretch-(count to 20) then back to front (count to 20), then to other side (count to 20) & repeat. You shld feel a good stretch. Hopefully I didn't [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif[/img] you too much! The other is too complicated to explain here- but ask your PT how to get the area you want 'back'! The other effective one is the one w/the ball - let me know if you need me to repost that one- I really think both of these just might work if we don't over-do it yet are consistent with them. I think the one w/the ball kinda loosens what's binding, the stretch one- stretches the binding. So-combination of these just might (with PATIENCE -I know it's hard for me not to over-do & get back that flexibility too!) Not sure if it's wishful thinking- but there are times when I think it's slowly working!! Well, good luck & chat w/you soon!

Laura

------------------
    Mar 2003:Micro-Discectomy w/Hemilaminectomy L5-S1
    Prior to that 4 mos of Sciatic pain; left side
    Herniated Disc L5/S1
    Bulging Disc L4/L5

[This message has been edited by TexMich (edited 08-12-2003).]
    08/03:PT @ 5 mos post-op for 6 wks: Results: Back & abdominal strength MUCH better - stretching exercises help only temporarily. Heavy feeling of pressure, restriction thru-out incision area post op. ~scar tissue adhering?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

11/03:Working with "Rolfing" expert to release scar tissue - Jury's still out on this procedure

Old 08-12-2003, 05:14 PM   #14
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User
    Well, real quick before I get kicked off, I think I do have that dang virus, keep reading about it, but how do you get it off you dang computer??? My ********* is not picking it up but microsoft error message says it's detecting a virus. I'm stumped. Going to update this before I get kicked off. Talk to you when I can... ~Daubie
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03

Old 08-12-2003, 08:11 PM   #15
    Rosarita

Rosarita HB User
    Hi Everybody! It was so hot today that even with the air conditioning on, I just had to lay on the couch. I'm glad my husband volunteered to cook because these people would have had to suck their fingers for dinner. After I'm done with this I'm going for a walk. It's too hot in the morning so I have to wait until late evening.

You know what's strange? My ns hasn't started my pt. I had to see the internist last week and he asked me about it and I just shrugged my shoulders. Since I'm now a professional patient, I'm finding it difficult to fit it in my busy schedule, LOL. I have three doc appointments this week, supposed to go to the pool 3-4 times a week and still can't drive. Now go figure.

Stacey, didn't know a getting a tat could do that to your back. The reason why I brought it up in the first place was to get a reaction out of my husband. My husband is comatose and the only thing that gets a rise out of him is mentioning getting a tat. I'm sure once they tell me how much, I'll change my mind.

Onyx, my dear, it takes time. Be patient and yes I'm being a total hypocrite here. I'm very impatient but what I've learned is when you push yourself too hard, you're going to pay for it later. Gotta story. Got bored, decided to drive my daughter to school, snuck out. What did I do that for? Before I could back the car out of the garage I was in pain, kept driving, gripping right thigh to keep pain from travelling to foot, sucking air, barely made it home. On couch rest of the day. Well, Mama told me not to drive. I just had my 4 month anniversary. Take it easy!

Laura, didn't mean to disappear, but just been sick. Don't intend to disappear again. I've been trying to read, and learn everyone's name and surgical procedures so I can be nosy. That's going to take a little while. I was kicked off a few times this week and I've been having trouble signing on. I know the bill has been paid so my sister is going to check and see what's going on.

It's time to go and I hope everyone a good day.

Luv,
    Rosa

Closed Thread