It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Update on Swollen Feet

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-12-2004, 05:06 PM   #151
    wise_cookie

wise_cookie HB User
    Re: Update on Swollen Feet

[QUOTE=Tomorrow][COLOR=Blue][B][CENTER]Hello Everyone [/CENTER][/B]
    [INDENT]I am bumping up this thread for a member named, "Wise Cookie." Also my Abdominal & Pelvic, CT Scan did come back normal. The only thing that it showed was some of my instrumentation from my fusion.

Have a great day.[/INDENT]
    [B][CENTER] Jeanne [/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~LUMBAR SURGERY~
    June 30, 2003
    [B]Procedures:[/B]
    Bilateral L4-L5-S1 Laminectomies.
    Left L4-L5 Discectomy.
    Left L5-S1 Discectomy.
    Left L4-L5 translaminar posterior interbody fusion using allograft & bone morphogenic protein. (BMP)
    Bilateral posterolateral arthrodesis L4-L5-S1 using pedicle screw instrumentation & spinous process bone graft.
    Intraoperative pedicle screw stimulation.

[B]Final Diagnosis:[/B]
    L4-L5, L5-S1 Degenerative Disc Disease. (DDD)
    Spinal Instability.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

My Gosh Tommorow.......I've just got thru reading your thread and I can't believe what all has been going on with you! Needless to say, I am terrified now considering I am having the same problems. I go see my neuro doc tomorrow for the first time since the surgery. They found me to be anemic while I was in the hospital after my fusion. My abdomen and most especially my left leg started swelling less than 24 hours after they discharged me from the fusion surgery and I had to return via the ER. By the time I got to the hospital (it was about an hour and one-half drive to the hospital) my left leg was double the size of the other one. During this admission they told me that I was anemic but thought that it was because of blood loss during my surgery. They gave me 2 units of blood and I perked up. I stayed another week and the swelling was still there but they thought it was because of the trauma during the surgery. The vascular doctor that assisted said my aorta was attached to my spine and he had to peal it off and during that process he tore it. It required a few stitches and I had blood loss because of all of that. They felt the swelling would eventually go away and all of the stuff would be reabsorbed by my body. He said he felt the reason the swelling was going into my left leg only was because the surgery requires them to pull all the organs etc. to one side for the neuro doc to have access to the spine (mine was from the anterior or front approach). The swelling did eventually go down in my leg (not my abdomen though) for about 2 weeks but since last friday it has come back and is back to where it was. I haven't called the doc because I knew I would be going for my first follow up tomorrow and figured it could wait...........then I ran across your post over on the anemia board and now I am freaking out! I really didn't know much about anemia and was kind of doing a little research when I found the symptoms listed over there. I have almost all of the symptoms and I am now certain that I've had this anemia for a long time....not just because of the blood loss of the fusion surgery. In addition to the swelling over the past week, I have been having intermitent nausea/vomiting. I didn't think much of it because of all the pain meds I have been on. I just figured they were what was upsetting my stomach. I now think differently. Gosh......I could go on for days with all the stuff but it really sounds like a repeat of what you have been living for the past few months! We are even close in age....I'm 45. My back pain is not even bothering me as much as the leg pain.....my bones actually feel like they will explode they hurt so badly....pins and needles feeling too.....elevating helps some but not enough to stop the pain. We sound like twins! I guess I will start my journey with all of this tomorrow when I see the doctor. Needless to say I am scared.....I'm sure he will want me to see the same vascular surgeon who assisted and I'm not too keen on this fellow. He may go a different route when he finds out that I have probably been anemic for a lot longer than he thought. Well, I guess I will update you when I know something.......I guess the up side to this if there can be one is that we can at least support each other.

1992 - Anterior Cervical Fusion C6-7
    1995 - Lumbar Laminectomy L4-5
    1996 - Anterior Cervical Fusion C5-6
    1997 - Lumbar Laminectomy L5-S1
    1998 - Started going to Pain Treatment Center for Chronic Pain
    May 2003 - Lumbar Laminectomy and Decompression of Nerve Root - 2 levels
    June 2003 - Continued problems after surgery....dx Failed Back Syndrome
    Jan 2004 - Scheduled for Anterior Lumbar Fusion L4-5, L5-S1

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2004, 08:28 AM   #152
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=SeaGreen][CENTER][B]Good Morning Wise Cookie [/B] [/CENTER]
    [INDENT]I will help you in any way that I can. I have to say that I believe that my anemia started right before my surgery. When I went to donate my blood for my surgery my iron count was great as they checked it prior to the donation. But a few days after I started menstruating. Then I went for my pre-opt testing and the results were sent to my neuro surgeon. Three days prior to my surgery I had an appointment with my surgeon and he asked if I was anemic because my counts were low. I told him no, and that I had never been told that I was. I also told him about my cycle and he said it was because of my donation and cycle. The nurse in his office was surprised that he was still going to perform the surgery because she told me on the side that he may cancel me. Well, after all that he never used my donation. Then a couple of days after I was home from the hospital would you believe that I started menstruating again. I believe this is what did me in and since I could not get my counts back up. Since my cycles have been extremely heavy. Their is a possibility that I could have had problems in the past but the doctors and I were not aware of it. The first few weeks home from the hospital all I wanted to eat was ice. I couldn't understand the craving, but I lost weight.....lol The doctor's will have to find the cause of your anemia and I had to start with my primary doctor. I had to have both an endoscopy and colonoscopy. After all that testing we found that mine was GYN related and next Wednesday I am having a sonogram and biopsy of my uterus. Then if that test comes back normal I will be scheduled for a minor surgical procedure called Cryoablation. They will freeze the outside layer of my uterus. Times have changed, and they now try this procedure before recommending a hysterectomy.

Although you are starting with the same swelling as I, please be very careful. If this vascular surgeon does not start some testing immediately, than I would find another doctor. I am going to do some research on the aorta for you. I have an appointment today and I am expecting bad news. It looks as if we both have an appointment today and I wish you the best. But I will research this for you this weekend. I will post any information that I find for you. We did have different surgery's, yours being anterior and mine posterior. Either way they are both spinal..... I noticed that you also have cervical problems as well. We sure do have a lot in common. Again, good luck today.[/INDENT]
    [CENTER][B] Jeanne [/B][/CENTER][/COLOR]

Old 02-16-2004, 12:49 PM   #153
    wise_cookie

wise_cookie HB User

[QUOTE=Tomorrow][COLOR=SeaGreen][CENTER][B]Good Morning Wise Cookie [/B] [/CENTER]
    [INDENT]I will help you in any way that I can. I have to say that I believe that my anemia started right before my surgery. When I went to donate my blood for my surgery my iron count was great as they checked it prior to the donation. But a few days after I started menstruating. Then I went for my pre-opt testing and the results were sent to my neuro surgeon. Three days prior to my surgery I had an appointment with my surgeon and he asked if I was anemic because my counts were low. I told him no, and that I had never been told that I was. I also told him about my cycle and he said it was because of my donation and cycle. The nurse in his office was surprised that he was still going to perform the surgery because she told me on the side that he may cancel me. Well, after all that he never used my donation. Then a couple of days after I was home from the hospital would you believe that I started menstruating again. I believe this is what did me in and since I could not get my counts back up. Since my cycles have been extremely heavy. Their is a possibility that I could have had problems in the past but the doctors and I were not aware of it. The first few weeks home from the hospital all I wanted to eat was ice. I couldn't understand the craving, but I lost weight.....lol The doctor's will have to find the cause of your anemia and I had to start with my primary doctor. I had to have both an endoscopy and colonoscopy. After all that testing we found that mine was GYN related and next Wednesday I am having a sonogram and biopsy of my uterus. Then if that test comes back normal I will be scheduled for a minor surgical procedure called Cryoablation. They will freeze the outside layer of my uterus. Times have changed, and they now try this procedure before recommending a hysterectomy.

Although you are starting with the same swelling as I, please be very careful. If this vascular surgeon does not start some testing immediately, than I would find another doctor. I am going to do some research on the aorta for you. I have an appointment today and I am expecting bad news. It looks as if we both have an appointment today and I wish you the best. But I will research this for you this weekend. I will post any information that I find for you. We did have different surgery's, yours being anterior and mine posterior. Either way they are both spinal..... I noticed that you also have cervical problems as well. We sure do have a lot in common. Again, good luck today.[/INDENT]
    [CENTER][B] Jeanne [/B][/CENTER][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

When I went to my doctor's appointment last friday I didn't get to see the neuro doc that actually did my surgery.....I had to see his partner. I was a little aggravated that he had not even familiarized himself with my case. He didn't even know when I had my surgery and was asking me if this was a followup or what? I filled him in and he didn't seem to be interested in the swelling in my leg. I pulled up my pants leg from the bottom to show him the difference in my lower left leg in comparison to my right and then I was going to show him the swelling in my upper thigh and my abdomen and he told me it wasn't necessary for him to see it. He told me that it couldn't be related to anything with the spine and probably was just from the trauma of the surgery.....same as the vascular doc had said. I then told him my thoughts about me probably being anemic for awhile instead of it being caused by the blood loss of the surgery and he just didn't seem to concerned.....told me to take a multivitamin and eat properly. He didn't even offer to check my blood. On the other hand he told me I was doing well with the fusion...told me from the xray that it appeared I was already starting to fuse some on the L4-L5 area but still had many months to go.....and that was it....made me an appointment to come back in March. I told him I guessed I would just have my primary doc check me in regard to the anemia issue and he didn't comment either way! I wasn't happy that I didn't get to see my doctor! I hope I see him the next time. I'm not too impressed with his partner. I felt like I was being herded thru like an animal! My leg has gone down some only because I've had it propped up all weekend. I will call my primary doc this week for an appointment.

Good luck next Wednesday! Will be checking back with you.

Old 02-17-2004, 07:15 AM   #154
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][CENTER][B]Hello Wise Cookie [/B] [/CENTER]
    [INDENT]I am so sorry that you had such a horrible experience with your follow up appointment. I myself have had a few of these. As for the surgeon not being concerned with your swelling, the same happened with me. I was also told that me edema was not caused from my surgery. As soon as my primary doctor seen my legs he was very worried, but my surgeon never cared. Please see your primary doctor ASAP for your edema and anemia. They will at least make sure that you are not in immediate danger. As with all major surgical procedures, complications can occur. Some of the most common complications following anterior lumbar fusion with cages include:

problems with anesthesia
    thrombophlebitis
    infection
    nerve damage
    blood vessel damage
    problems with the graft or hardware
    ongoing pain

Blood Vessel Damage The largest artery in the body (the abdominal aorta) and the
    large veins that accompany it run in front of the spine as they split to run to each leg. These vessels must be moved aside to perform the anterior cage procedure. Because of this, the vessels may be injured, causing bleeding. When the procedure is performed using the laparoscope, too much bleeding may require opening the abdomen with a larger incision to repair the injured vessels.

Thrombophlebitis (blood clots) Thrombophlebitis, sometimes called deep venous
    thrombosis (DVT), can happen after any operation. It occurs when blood clots form in the large veins of the leg. This may cause the leg to swell and become warm to the touch and painful.

If the blood clots in the veins break apart, they can travel to the lungs, where they lodge in the capillaries and cut off the blood supply to a portion of the lungs. This is called a pulmonary embolism. ("Pulmonary" means "lung," and "embolism" refers to a fragment of something traveling through the vascular system).

Most surgeons take preventing DVT very seriously. There are many ways to reduce the risk of DVT. Probably the most effective way is getting you moving as soon as possible after surgery. Other commonly used preventive measures include:
    pressure stockings to keep the blood in the legs moving
    medications that thin the blood and prevent blood clots from forming

If I would have known then what I know now, then I would have understood why I was sent for all the testing. It is very important to try to find the cause of your swelling. Unfortunately, mine was never found, but Thank God I had no heart problems or blood clots.....

Also before your next visit at your surgeon's office, you can call beforehand. You can make sure that you do have an appointment to see your surgeon and not his partner again. After that visit, I would refuse to ever see his partner again and you do have that right. They work for you...... I pray that you do not follow down my path and that your swelling does go down. Also, I would also tell your primary doctor about your anemia so that a blood work up can be started immediately. If they tell you to start taking iron pills I can tell you which ones would be best as you can have some side effects from them as well. [/INDENT]
    [CENTER][B] Jeanne [/B] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]

Old 02-22-2004, 05:12 AM   #155
    wise_cookie

wise_cookie HB User

[QUOTE=Tomorrow][COLOR=RoyalBlue][CENTER][B]Hello Wise Cookie [/B] [/CENTER]
    [INDENT]I am so sorry that you had such a horrible experience with your follow up appointment. I myself have had a few of these. As for the surgeon not being concerned with your swelling, the same happened with me. I was also told that me edema was not caused from my surgery. As soon as my primary doctor seen my legs he was very worried, but my surgeon never cared. Please see your primary doctor ASAP for your edema and anemia. They will at least make sure that you are not in immediate danger. As with all major surgical procedures, complications can occur. Some of the most common complications following anterior lumbar fusion with cages include:

problems with anesthesia
    thrombophlebitis
    infection
    nerve damage
    blood vessel damage
    problems with the graft or hardware
    ongoing pain

Blood Vessel Damage The largest artery in the body (the abdominal aorta) and the
    large veins that accompany it run in front of the spine as they split to run to each leg. These vessels must be moved aside to perform the anterior cage procedure. Because of this, the vessels may be injured, causing bleeding. When the procedure is performed using the laparoscope, too much bleeding may require opening the abdomen with a larger incision to repair the injured vessels.

Thrombophlebitis (blood clots) Thrombophlebitis, sometimes called deep venous
    thrombosis (DVT), can happen after any operation. It occurs when blood clots form in the large veins of the leg. This may cause the leg to swell and become warm to the touch and painful.

If the blood clots in the veins break apart, they can travel to the lungs, where they lodge in the capillaries and cut off the blood supply to a portion of the lungs. This is called a pulmonary embolism. ("Pulmonary" means "lung," and "embolism" refers to a fragment of something traveling through the vascular system).

Most surgeons take preventing DVT very seriously. There are many ways to reduce the risk of DVT. Probably the most effective way is getting you moving as soon as possible after surgery. Other commonly used preventive measures include:
    pressure stockings to keep the blood in the legs moving
    medications that thin the blood and prevent blood clots from forming

If I would have known then what I know now, then I would have understood why I was sent for all the testing. It is very important to try to find the cause of your swelling. Unfortunately, mine was never found, but Thank God I had no heart problems or blood clots.....

Also before your next visit at your surgeon's office, you can call beforehand. You can make sure that you do have an appointment to see your surgeon and not his partner again. After that visit, I would refuse to ever see his partner again and you do have that right. They work for you...... I pray that you do not follow down my path and that your swelling does go down. Also, I would also tell your primary doctor about your anemia so that a blood work up can be started immediately. If they tell you to start taking iron pills I can tell you which ones would be best as you can have some side effects from them as well. [/INDENT]
    [CENTER][B] Jeanne [/B] [/CENTER] [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Hi Jeanne,

Thanks for all that info! I had to go to my pain management doctor this past week and he told me that he believed the edema in my left leg is a complication from the surgery. He basically explained the same thing that you stated about the veins etc. having to be moved and because of the tearing of the vein with the repair that it created the swelling. He says it will take time to settle down. My nerves were already compressed for some time and with the additional problem he says my nerve to that leg probably got even more aggravated. He sure made me feel a lot better about it by explaining that to me.

I already know that it is not a clot.....they checked me for that during the second hospital admission. In additon, they got a catscan of my abdomen to see if I had any bleeding going on which I did not.

The pain doc also got a CBC to check on my anemia but did say to let my primary doc take care of this for me. I've not heard anything from them regarding the blood work so I figure no news is good news! He had to check my liver anyway because of some of the other meds I am on so he got the CBC too. He did tell me to start taking iron tablets so I would be interested in knowing which ones are best to take. Let me know.

I am having some pain from my hip going under my thigh and sometimes into my foot for the past few days. I am kinda worried because it is pretty bad....been having to take pain meds for it and they aren't helping with the pain much....have tried heating pad and ice packs too. Sure hope I haven't screwed up this surgery! I couldn't bare to go thru it again to fix it!!!

Hope you are doing well.....let me know about the iron pills.

Old 02-23-2004, 09:17 AM   #156
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Green][CENTER][B]Hello Wise Cookie [/B] [/CENTER]
    [INDENT]When my primary doctor had first giving me a script to take iron pills he had wrote Feosol on it. I had purchased the Feosol Ferrous Sulfate 65mg ones. I had taken them for months. I also see a Gastroenterologist and she told me to take vitamin c with it. I had some complications such as constipation. Not one of my doctor's had told me the side effect of this nor did I read the box.... Upon my own research I found that Feosol makes two different forms of iron supplement therapy. I just happened to purchase the wrong one. I picked the cheaper of the two boxes. The one that is best for your stomach is Feosol Carbonyl Iron- 45mg. Elemental Iron. This one is designed to be gentle on your stomach. This one is also a red tablet. When I had a follow up visit at my primary doctor I had told them about this and they were also unaware that Feosol had two different forms. They even made a notation so that they can inform future patient's. Since I made the switch I know longer have any side effects from the iron supplements.

My appointment went well on Wednesday. It didn't even hurt at all. But the first thing the GYN asked me was what was wrong with my leg because it had really swelled again. I should have said nothing, because the doctor's can't find the cause. Also my pain management doctor noticed and said that my primary doctor is going to need to put me back on water pills. But I also have been recently diagnosed with Diabetes so maybe that can also be playing a role in this. Only God knows....

I hope that some of your pain does diminish with you recovery and I will keep you in my prayers.[/INDENT]

Old 02-23-2004, 04:41 PM   #157
    wise_cookie

wise_cookie HB User

[QUOTE=Tomorrow][COLOR=Green][CENTER][B]Hello Wise Cookie [/B] [/CENTER]
    [INDENT]When my primary doctor had first giving me a script to take iron pills he had wrote Feosol on it. I had purchased the Feosol Ferrous Sulfate 65mg ones. I had taken them for months. I also see a Gastroenterologist and she told me to take vitamin c with it. I had some complications such as constipation. Not one of my doctor's had told me the side effect of this nor did I read the box.... Upon my own research I found that Feosol makes two different forms of iron supplement therapy. I just happened to purchase the wrong one. I picked the cheaper of the two boxes. The one that is best for your stomach is Feosol Carbonyl Iron- 45mg. Elemental Iron. This one is designed to be gentle on your stomach. This one is also a red tablet. When I had a follow up visit at my primary doctor I had told them about this and they were also unaware that Feosol had two different forms. They even made a notation so that they can inform future patient's. Since I made the switch I know longer have any side effects from the iron supplements.

My appointment went well on Wednesday. It didn't even hurt at all. But the first thing the GYN asked me was what was wrong with my leg because it had really swelled again. I should have said nothing, because the doctor's can't find the cause. Also my pain management doctor noticed and said that my primary doctor is going to need to put me back on water pills. But I also have been recently diagnosed with Diabetes so maybe that can also be playing a role in this. Only God knows....

I hope that some of your pain does diminish with you recovery and I will keep you in my prayers.[/INDENT]
    [CENTER][B] Jeanne [/B] [/CENTER] [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Thank you for the info on the different iron types. I wasn't aware there were two different types either. I'll be sure to get the one you suggested as constipation is already a big enough issue for me due to all the pain medication that I must take on a regular basis.

I've been laid up since last Wednesday with my leg.....not so much swelling, but pain! The swelling is still there but does seem to be better.....if I get up and spend too much time on my feet though, it swells again. Guess it is just going to take some time for this thing to get better.

I'm glad that your appointment went well. Did the water pills your doctor mentioned help you any before? There are several members of my family that have diabetes and most of them do well at managing it. You never know....it could be playing a role in your situation. Were you diagnosed with it before your surgery? You are right in that only God knows about this swelling stuff....lol.

Old 02-23-2004, 05:31 PM   #158
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User

[COLOR=Magenta][CENTER][B]Hello Wise Cookie [/B] [/CENTER]
    [INDENT]I am sorry to hear of your leg pain and I can relate. Your pain management doctor may suggest in time some nerve pain medication's. For some time I had tried Neurontin and had tried all the increases but it did not work for me. Then in October I had started a medication called Topamax. I don't know if this medication is helping me or not. But p/m dr. also just increased it again. I do pray that things get better during your recovery.

The water pills never really helped my swelling but I was retaining a lot of water. I was only recently diagnosed with Diabetes. My surgeon would never have done my surgery if I had diabetes. They were very upset with my diagnosis when I told them at my last appointment. I also need a cervical fusion that he will not do with diabetes, Not that I would ever agree to it after this one..... I see that you had two cervical fusion's already. My God what you have been through. I will keep you in my prayers.[/INDENT]

Closed Thread