It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Update on Swollen Feet

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-17-2003, 01:46 PM   #31
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Smile

Hello: wave: Laura,

Thank you for responding with such helpful information. I will talk to the doctor's about the combinations of my meds. I was taking neurontin prior to my surgery and two weeks after surgery they told me to stop. The funny thing is that I only was put back on neurontin when I went to pain management on the 10 of this month. And that is when I went there to show her my swollen feet and legs. I really didn't know this was a side effect to this med. I should really read the entire handout the drugstore gives with the script. I guess I can rule out that neurontin was the cause but then worry that it might make matter worse. I think I will ask my doc about this. Whenever I go to a doctor's appointment I have a med chart that I made on my PC. It even shows meds that I have taken before and meds that I take on a daily basis. Some of my doctor's have actually asked to keep my med form which was no problem for me as I keep it on my PC. Another thing that I make sure of is that I always use the same pharmacy as I worry about a medication conflicting with another. I was taking Elavil but neuro had me stop it as he has giving me another script for a muscle relaxant with a sleeping agent in it. I have to have my daughter pick it up from the pharmacy. I really don't know if I want to try another new med at this time.

I can't believe that happened to you with Celebrex. I had never had a reaction to any meds with hives. That must have been real scary. My son also takes celebrex for his back pain.

I was trying to push the BMP theory from my mind. But I still wonder. Actually you had a great suggestion in asking my primary doctor. That thought never entered my mind. He sure won't be offended if I ask him.

Thank You Laura for all your helpful information. I will discuss the meds and BMP with my doc on next appointment.

Take Care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2003, 03:48 PM   #32
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User
    Hi Tomarrow. I am actually doing much better this week. The improvement started a few weeks ago, but it was very minimal. I went for 1-2 days with minimal foot pain and before it was every day, and every time I drove home from work (1 hour). But with PT, driving did not automatically trigger the pain, and I was starting to have a day or so without it (while I was using the Tens unit). However for the past week, I have gone for 2-3 days without pain, and without the Tens. I still use it on occasion when I get the pain, but not too much. Thank you very much for asking. I am hoping that it will continue to get longer and longer between the pains until it finally goes away (fingers are crossed). I can't believe it's going on 4 months since I had the surgery and I'm just now starting to feel better, and that was just a micro-d! I can't imagine recovering from fusion and how long that would take. You can though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed your day will come soon too! Oh yeah, no celebrating last weekend, but I'm taking hubby away this weekend to celebrate his 50th B-day, so we will for sure live it up!!! Take care, Daubie

------------------
    Car Accident 2/2/02
    Herniated disc L5/S1
    Epidurals x3, PT 4 mos, some relief, but constant foot pain and numbness continued
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    9/5/03 still have foot pain and numbness but recovered fine from surgery
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    1/19/04 I am 7 mos post op. I still have the same foot pain as before surgery. Doc agrees it is probably permanent nerve damage. Started neurontin this week. Still glad I had the surgery though!

Old 09-18-2003, 06:58 AM   #33
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Smile

Hello Daubie,

I am so happy to hear that your leg pain is improving. That is really great news. Wow, 3 days without the pain, terrific. This does sound as if you are starting to have that successful recovery that we all pray for. Some of us just take so much longer than others. But we all have different situations and I really think that certain condition's with the nerves have a very big factor in the length of our recovery.

Tell Hubby Happy Birthday for me.... I really hope that you both have a great time. And since you are starting to feel better you might not have to take pain meds and that could mean a cocktail to celebrate...
    Have one for me....lol

Enjoy......

Old 09-18-2003, 07:28 AM   #34
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User
    COCKTAIL??? Probably 10 or 12!!!!! I'll make sure to toast to you that you feel better soon and get rid of this swelling and back pain! Take care. ~Daubie
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    1/19/04 I am 7 mos post op. I still have the same foot pain as before surgery. Doc agrees it is probably permanent nerve damage. Started neurontin this week. Still glad I had the surgery though!

Old 09-19-2003, 05:55 PM   #35
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Smile

Hello Daubie,

Thanks for the Toast...... and I will pray that you don't have to much of a hangover.....lol

Take Care.

Old 09-20-2003, 09:53 AM   #36
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Hello Everyone,

I still have the swelling in both legs and feet. But I am also having a new problem. I woke about 7:00 am this morning with a burning pain in my right side of buttock. This pain was excruciating and it got me crying. I got up and thought that if I moved and walked around it may stop. It didn't and I took an ES Vicodin and put a bag of ice on it. It took about a half hour before the pain was gone. I have read about the burning sensation but never had it. Most posts that I read seem to be about people that had this prior to their surgery not after. I guess it is a possibility that I could have misread the posts so I will go back and reread them. I really don't want to start experiencing other types of pain and just want to get better and recover. I am really scared of this pain coming back again.

Has anyone had this pain after their surgery? As always any help is greatly appreciated....

Take Care.

Old 09-20-2003, 10:28 AM   #37
    TexMich

TexMich HB User
    Hi Tomorrow

So sorry for your ADDITIONAL problem with burning pain in your hip area. If you're to the point of tears- I'd call my doc (not sure if PCP or back doc is more appropriate at this time) - & leave msg w/answering service.

I guess your PCP ruled out your meds as the cause on the swelling? Are you taking any anti-depressants at this time may I ask? They can interact w/meds- Vicodin one of them - but from what you've said in the past - you keep excellent records of your pain meds & have supplied ea of your docs w/that info. Did you have an opportunity to ask about the body rejecting the bmp theory?

Sorry that I don't really have an answer for you on your pain. You're about 12 wks post op lumbar fusion - right? I can tell you that for the Micro-d many of us had occasional pain along the sciatic path for months after the surgery. Nerves take a long time to heal - my doc's office said it cld be up to 150 days post op - do to the irritation to them before/during/after surgery. There's still swelling/inflammation going on internally at the fusion site - & that can put pressure on the nerve(s) & generate pain anywhere along the sciatic path. However all that being said- if it's a new pain you never felt- it's a good idea to discuss wth your doc. Have you asked about having another MRI to see how things are progressing there?

Again, Tomorrow, I can only imagine your frustration at not getting to the source of your current probs - & I'm sending sincere wishes your way for you to get to the bottom of all this. I can also tell you from experience that stress & worry only worsen your pain & create a vicious cycle of stress,worry,pain that feeds on itself. That sounds very negative- but my point is-please surround yourself with positive environment as possible, rent funny movies, watch funny TV shows, make yourself smile & tell yourself try to be positive in visualizing your body healing. Sounds hard - but it's important - along with continuing to seek answers from the docs. Have you been to the ER w/your complaints? Maybe then they'll do any tests the other docs may have missed that are necessary to get to the bottom of your swelling? Only you can know if/when that's what you need to do. These are just my brain-storming thoughts - so please take them as that, as I know you need to make your own decisions.

Much luck!

Laura

------------------
    Mar 2003:Micro-Discectomy w/Hemilaminectomy L5-S1
    Prior to that 4 mos of Sciatic pain; left side
    Herniated Disc L5/S1
    Bulging Disc L4/L5
    08/20/03: At 5 mos post-op: Requested PT - (had to convince doc)Now completed 6 wks PT. Results: Back & abdominal strength much better - to prevent future back injury. Stretching exercises help temporarily but next morning - incision area seems just as tight, same same tugging feeling when leaning forward of pressure, restriction through-out post op. Concerned this is scar tissue adhering. Looking for approp. Doctor to help me confirm this & appropriate treatment for it - if treatment's available. Continuing exercises @ home.
    08/03:PT @ 5 mos post-op for 6 wks: Results: Back & abdominal strength MUCH better - stretching exercises help only temporarily. Heavy feeling of pressure, restriction thru-out incision area post op. ~scar tissue adhering?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

11/03:Working with "Rolfing" expert to release scar tissue - Jury's still out on this procedure

Old 09-20-2003, 02:29 PM   #38
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Smile

Hello Laura,

How are you feeling? Are you still suffering with sciatica since your surgery? I read in your signature that physical therapy helped you with strengthening back & stomach. I just wanted to ask you if it still hurts when you cough not that the muscles have been strengthened.

Thank you again for replying. Yes, my PC did rule out any conflicts with my meds and symptoms. I do not take any antidepressants. I had been taken Elavil and that is also used as an antidepressant and used for nerve pain among other things. My neuro had me stop that and has now put me on Zanaflex. I hate taking any new meds at this time. I never asked my neuro about the BMP because I thought he might get angry with me. I am going to ask my primary doctor at next visit about the BMP as that question won't bother him. I did try researching it on the web but can't seem to come up with anything as this is a new procedure.
    I did go to the ER a couple of weeks ago. They just ruled out blood clots and also told me that I have anemia. Also had the echo and my heart is in great condition. So at least I am relieved that it is not caused by nothing major. My neuro has giving me a script to get a cat scan and I am going to get one this week. I understand all you said about the nerves and the pain. Someone even told me that the pain could also mean the nerves are coming alive and healing. I have just gotten worried over the swollen legs and feet as that can mean many different things. And I never had the burning feeling.. As all of us want nothing but to be pain free and get on with our lives.

You could not have given any better advice. I am going to try and find a way to be happy this weekend. As I am typing my husband is redoing my kitchen. He just purchased a new set of kitchen cabinets and is pulling out his hair installing them. He bought them from Home Depot and they come in a million pieces. I told him to read the instructions first. I already have a funny movie to watch.... my husband......lol

Thank you very much for you help and have a great weekend.

Old 09-22-2003, 06:08 AM   #39
    TexMich

TexMich HB User
    Talking

Hi Tomorrow

How are you feeling? Any difference in the swelling yet? I do hope your hubby kept you entertained with his project this wk-end! [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/hammer.gif[/img] [img]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dizzy.gif[/img]

Just trying to brainstorm about any other tests the doc could do. I know it sounds crazy sometimes to have to second-guess our docs- but when no answers to the cause are forth-coming- what else CAN you do to help yourself?! If your swelling hasn't improved, has your doc done all possible tests - DVT, Cortisol level, kidney & liver function tests, - has he mentioned if he thinks your lymph system is functioning/draining appropriately? Does he think water pills would help w/the edema? Has any new vitamin or food been added the last several months to your diet that may possibly be causing an allergic re-action? I think it's appropriate to ask your back doc's nurse to ask your doc if ANYTHING (including the BMP was used during the surgery that your body may be rejecting or a possible cause for your swelling). Just tell them very briefly what all you've been thru to stop it - but to no avail & that you're leaving no stone unturned because you're worried - & THAT's not helping you heal from your back surgery. I just would NOT worry one second if he's happy OR mad about the call. THAT's HIS JOB - he did take an oath to do everything he can for his patients to help them heal.

Well, just checking on you! Please let us know how you're doing & what the doc(s) say!

Also, I've 'bumped up' a thread that's called "hi all" that has several postings on foot/ankle/calf swelling- you may find some useful info there hopefully.

Oh, you asked about me - coughing does not produce back pain at this point (6 mos post op). The PT exercises & instruction certainly helped stengthen my back, abs & legs - & I brace myself (tighten abs) when I do anything that may put pressure on my back. The things that produce discogenic pain in my back are leaning backward (only did that a few x's in PT - still hurts tho)- and sleeping on my side w/o pillows. What creates the v-strong tugging/pulling sensation in my back (which is more a discomfort than pain & of course feeds my concern over scar tissue) -is leaning fwd while sitting. I've noticed after 6 wks of PT & strengthening my back that sitting (w/tush cush) & w/good posture is not as tiring. Also, I don't get the single giant muscle spasm from my upper back down to my feet both legs- (never painful - but like a giant wave) that I always got when turning from my side to my back at night. I do still get an occasional sciatic zing down my left leg - but it goes away immediately.

Well, I hope today finds you feeling at least some-what better! Let us know!

Laura

------------------
    Mar 2003:Micro-Discectomy w/Hemilaminectomy L5-S1
    Prior to that 4 mos of Sciatic pain; left side
    Herniated Disc L5/S1
    Bulging Disc L4/L5
    08/20/03: At 5 mos post-op: Requested PT - (had to convince doc)Now completed 6 wks PT. Results: Back & abdominal strength much better - to prevent future back injury. Stretching exercises help temporarily but next morning - incision area seems just as tight, same same tugging feeling when leaning forward of pressure, restriction through-out post op. Concerned this is scar tissue adhering. Looking for approp. Doctor to help me confirm this & appropriate treatment for it - if treatment's available. Continuing exercises @ home. Don't regret surgery - don't have to worry now about peripheral/neurological damage.

[This message has been edited by TexMich (edited 09-22-2003).]
    08/03:PT @ 5 mos post-op for 6 wks: Results: Back & abdominal strength MUCH better - stretching exercises help only temporarily. Heavy feeling of pressure, restriction thru-out incision area post op. ~scar tissue adhering?
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

11/03:Working with "Rolfing" expert to release scar tissue - Jury's still out on this procedure

Old 09-22-2003, 09:05 AM   #40
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Smile

Hello Laura,

I think the swelling has gone down a little more in the right foot. It so hard to tell as I have developed these lumps in my feet and I think that may because of the swelling for so long. I have been taking water pills for almost two weeks. At first it seemed I went to the bathroom more frequently but not any more. My primary doctor's office called me this morning to tell me my doctor wants me to see a cardiologist. I asked why because the tech that did my echo cardiogram on the 12th told me everything looked great. In the back of my mind I started to worry. The nurse put me on hold to get my chart and told me that the numbers look good from the echo but because of the severity of my legs and feet my doc still wants me to see cardiologist. I said OK and they even have three cardiologist's that come to their office on a regular basis. So I have an appointment for tomorrow. And they on Wednesday I go for my CT Scan.
    I also suffer from asthma and take medications for it. I has started taking Singulair in May. I also post on other message boards about back pain. On those boards you are allowed to post email addresses. Someone had emailed me concerning the med singulair. He told me of all his stiffness he endured while taking this med and his doctor's said the med could not be causing these symptoms. He also said how critical things had gotten for him. He stop taking the med, and within days was on the road to recovery. I have researched this med and of course it said nothing about the stiffness. I realize that I have the swollen legs and feet and that to can cause stiffness, but I was having this prior to the swelling. Yesterday, on my own I stopped the med and I will see what happens. For me it was basically prescribed for the allergy season.

I am glad the PT worked for you as I really can't wait to start. As for sleeping on your side I was told that the pillows help. I guess not for everyone. I still cannot sleep on my side, but it does not hurt my back it hurts my hip and starts the nerve pain. I am very glad to hear that you don't suffer any longer with the muscle spasm as they really can be torture. I really hope that you don't find a problem with scar tissue and that you stay on a successful road to recovery.

Oh, yes my hubby did keep very entertained, and I found out that it still hurts to laugh.... Rather than read assembly directions he actually drove back to the home depot to look at the assembled cabinets to figure out what goes were. It took him two days but I kept him company and he kept me entertained. And my kitchen does look beautiful.

Thanks again for all the brainstorming, and help you have giving me. At my next primary visit I will find out exactly what blood work they have done and what needs to be done. I will also go read the other thread, Hi All.

Old 09-22-2003, 03:15 PM   #41
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User
    Hi Tomarrow. So sorry you're having more bad luck. Geez, will it never end??? Sometimes the only way they can diagnose something is to keep ruling stuff out. Still praying you will get some answers soon. Did you get that severe pain back again? If not, I wonder if you just got severe inflammation in your back.

Glad your cupboards look nice! What is it with men and directions/instructions??? I will never be able to figure that one out! Let us know what the cardio and ct scan say, ok? I'm thinking of you. Take care. ~Daubie

------------------
    Car Accident 2/2/02
    Herniated disc L5/S1
    Epidurals x3, PT 4 mos, some relief, but constant foot pain and numbness continued
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03

Old 09-23-2003, 08:25 AM   #42
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Smile

Hello Daubie,

So how was your weekend? I really hope that you enjoyed yourself. I went to my cardiologist appointment this morning at 10:00am only to be told that my appointment is at 2:30. Boy did I feel stupid. I have never made such an error before. My neurontin has also been increased so I wonder if that is playing any part in my stupidity. I would love to blame it on the med...lol After my appointment this afternoon then I have to go visit my mother in law in the hospital as she is having major heart surgery today. So I will post again tonight and let you know what cardiologist says.

Have a great day.

Old 09-23-2003, 09:06 AM   #43
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User
    My weekend was wonderful! Hope you're doing well today. Will look for your update later. Take care
    ~Daubie

------------------
    Car Accident 2/2/02
    Herniated disc L5/S1
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    9/22/03 huge improvement in foot pain in the past 2 weeks, woohoo!!!
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03

Old 09-23-2003, 05:47 PM   #44
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Smile

Hello Daubie,

I went to my appointment for the second time..lol I saw the cardiologist and they did another EKG. I was so mad as I had to get up on that table and off. I really like to be independent, therefore If someone has to help me, it makes me scream inside. I got on the table but could not get up to a sitting position and I had to ask the nurse for help. Anyway the test came back normal and so did the Echo. I don't even have a heart murmur anymore. The cardiologist said that I have a very strong heart. He also is concerned about my feet and legs. He said that I have a very bad case of edema. He said my case is worse because when he pushes on my leg it takes awhile for the skin to raise back up. He told me the name for this but I forgot it. He also gave me a script for Compression Stockings. I also saw my primary doctor and he said that I have to come back in a week so he can check if the swelling has gone down. If not he is sending my to yet another specialist and I forgot the name, but something to do with the veins. I really hope these stocking work. He also told me that a lot of surgeons send their patients home from the hospital with these stockings to prevent swelling and blood clots. I went to my local surgical supply store to be fitted and measured for the stockings. Unfortunately, they were out of my size so they had to order them.

When I came home I had called the hospital concerning my mother-in-law. They told me that her surgery went very well. They also asked that she not have anymore visitor's today as their is limited time for ICU and her two daughters were already their. So we are going to visit her tomorrow afternoon as I have my CT Scan in the morning.

My back pain is starting to ease. My buttock and legs are hurting more if you can imagine that. As long as I don't move in the wrong position I would say that my back pain is at a level 5 and that I can handle. I hope that you are still feeling better. I am sorry to keep rambling about myself, and thank you so very much for listening to me. You have become a great friend.

Good Night...

Old 09-23-2003, 08:02 PM   #45
    magnetlady45
    Veteran
    (female)

magnetlady45 HB User
    Hi Tomorrow:

Was looking for you on my post, couldn't find you so I came over here. Sorry to hear about all your problems. It really is a bite isn't it when other things happen besides the surgery. I have fibroid tumors and they seem to have increased in size so now I have to see a specialist tomorrow for that. I certainly do not want a hysterectomy. Last November the doctor suggested that but we went with the birth control pill instead. One week after fusion I had to go back to hospital because my back was bleeding rather profusely. Doctor said I must have had a pocket of blood in there that had to come out. One week after that I was treated for a UTI. One thing is bad enough let alone others.

I hope they figure out what is causing your problems.

Christi

Closed Thread