It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Update on Swollen Feet

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-24-2003, 09:42 AM   #46
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Smile

Hello Christi,

Sorry I haven't posted on your thread but I will. My computer is going hay wire. My son keeps bringing this same virus into it through Internet explorer. I usually sign on through AOL instead so I didn't realize it was on my PC. My connection is through cable so my PC is always online. This virus wasn't let me view all the posts meanwhile I new their were more posts added to my own thread as I received an email notification. Gosh I even wrote a letter to the moderators' asking why I could not view certain posts. I have already deleted the virus 5 times. I think it may be on a website that my son keep visiting.

I am sorry to hear of all your other medical problems as well. I am not that familiar with fibroid tumors, but it sure does not sound good to me. I can understand you not wanting a hysterectomy. As for the UTI I also suffered with that after surgery. My neuro said that it is common for this to happen after having
    catheterzation. I had a real problem clearing mine up as it took two different types of medications and 20 days. I had gotten mine 5 days after surgery along with menstruating. So I can definitely understand what you went through. I really hope that all goes well at your appointment today. Please keep me posted and I will be praying for you.

Take Care.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-24-2003, 09:54 AM   #47
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User
    Hi tomarrow. Only have a minute to type, but had to see your update. Glad your heart is strong! No surprise, right? Well, that's one thing ruled out, anyway. Is the diagnosis "pitting edema"? My sister had that, where you push on her leg and the skin doesn't pop back up. I will ask her what she did, cause she doesn't have it anymore. The doctor is probably vascular or pulmonologist. Hopefully you won't need to go that route. Glad your back is feeling better. Is that a recent improvement? Well, gotta go back to work. Take care, and I'll probably catch up more later. ~Daubie

------------------
    Car Accident 2/2/02
    Herniated disc L5/S1
    Epidurals x3, PT 4 mos, some relief, but constant foot pain and numbness continued
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    9/5/03 still have foot pain and numbness but recovered fine from surgery
    9/22/03 huge improvement in foot pain in the past 2 weeks, woohoo!!!
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    1/19/04 I am 7 mos post op. I still have the same foot pain as before surgery. Doc agrees it is probably permanent nerve damage. Started neurontin this week. Still glad I had the surgery though!

Old 09-24-2003, 10:14 AM   #48
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Smile

Hello Daubie,

Thanks for your post and yes you are correct it was pitting edema. I could not remember the term as this stuff is all new to me. I had thought the swelling was going down some but my primary doctor was also their and he said that it has gotten worse, that it was not pitting in my previous appointment. Yes, it was vascular, what would I do without you. Sorry to hear that your sister also had this problem. I hope that she got it all cleared up and doesn't suffer any longer. I am so tired of tests. Well, my back was getting better until today's appointment. The CT scan wasn't that bad. It hurt a little getting into the correct position. It only took about 10 minutes. But afterwards I couldn't get up. Their wasn't enough room on that table for me to get on my side as I tried and nearly rolled off the table. The tech gave me his hand to help and I thought I would just pull up while he held my hand. But when I grabbed his hand he just pulled me right up and I SCREAMED.... I did not know he was going to do this and didn't think that he even had this strength. I have never been able to let anyone pull me as I had to do this all by myself as I knew I would get hurt. I can tell he never dealt with a fusion patient before. At least it's over and I am know on my pain meds.

I hope that you have a good day at work.

Take Care.

Old 09-24-2003, 03:15 PM   #49
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User
    Hi Tomarrow. Boy, that sucks about being pulled off the table. My mom had broken her arm (humerus) once, and my dad "helped" her off the couch with her good arm, and did the same thing and she said her good arm then felt worse than her broken one! Hope you recover soon! When will you get the ct results? Well, sorry to say I'm having a lot of pain today. Foot and back. Hopefully it's not a set back! Maybe I just jinxed myself (hehe). Anyway, when I talk to my sis this week, I will ask her what they did for her. She had the edema for a month or so. I will for sure let you know! Take care, rest up tonite and I'll write you on Fri. I will away tomarrow and Friday, but home Friday nite. Take care. ~Daubie

------------------
    Car Accident 2/2/02
    Herniated disc L5/S1
    Epidurals x3, PT 4 mos, some relief, but constant foot pain and numbness continued
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    1/19/04 I am 7 mos post op. I still have the same foot pain as before surgery. Doc agrees it is probably permanent nerve damage. Started neurontin this week. Still glad I had the surgery though!

Old 09-25-2003, 06:15 AM   #50
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Smile

Hello Daubie,

I can't believe that also happened to your mom. I bet your dad probably felt real bad afterwards. I think some people just don't understand unless they have been there, done that....

I go back to my neuro surgeon on October 12 to go over the CT Scan results. But when his office gets the results, they will only call be beforehand it anything positive comes back.

Gosh Daubie, I am really sorry that your pain is returning. Did you over do anything yesterday of today? Sometimes when we start feeling better we tend to try and get all the things done that we couldn't have done prior. But we have to have our agenda in priority, take care of ourselves first and listen to our bodies. Forget the housework and the shopping and I really wish I could say forget the bills...lol You are also working and I hope that you are not putting in to many hours. By the way, I never asked you what type of work you do, if you don't mind sharing. I do know that you can get to these boards on lunch break...lol

I really hope that you are not having a setback and you are in my prayers.

Take Care

Old 09-25-2003, 09:09 AM   #51
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User
    Good morning Tomarrow! Again, only a minute to type as I'm getting ready to leave for my overnite trip. How are you today? I am better. Still some pain, but nothing like yesterday. It is a beautiful day here, and I'm really beginning to wonder if I will be prone to aches and pains in rainy/cold weather. I sure feel too young for that! No, I didn't do anything out of the ordinary yesterday. Even tho' I'm past the 3 month mark, I plan on being extra careful for at least another 3 months. I want to do everything I can to avoid further back problems. I work in an office. We do, believe it or not, disability claims! What about you? I sure hope your ct scan has some answers for you. Oct. 12th seems a long time to wait. Hey, I'm going to be in your neck of the woods next week. We're picking up my mom and dad in PA, then heading east to view the colors. Plan on heading rather quickly up to Maine, then slowly making our way back (10 days). My mom really wants to see Nova Scotia, so we'll probably spend a day or so there. We're taking our 5th wheel and camping. I love it! My mom doesn't know I'm smoking again, so it's quits***** next week! Not looking forward to it, but I promised myself I'd be better fit by the end of the year so...... Well, enough about me. Hope you're doing well today and I'll chat with you tomarrow! Take care. ~Daubie

------------------
    Car Accident 2/2/02
    Herniated disc L5/S1
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03

Old 09-26-2003, 06:05 AM   #52
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Hello Daubie,

Glad to hear that you are feeling better. I hope that you enjoy your overnight trip, and the pain stays away.
    I also think that we may be prone to the pains affected by the weather. But I have another nice day here again.

It is great to hear that you have an office job and are not putting to much strain on your back. Although sitting for a long period of time can also cause pain. Wow, I can't believe that you do disability claims. I bet you have heard all the sad stories. I don't work and haven't in a couple of years. I first worked as a CNA and that killed my back, and then I had gone onto Customer Service. After that I went back to school for computer training and got my certification. But the combination of my back and neck pain and my 15 year old son that suffers severely with migraine headaches, I decided to stay at home.

It sounds like a wonderful trip that you will be taking. I have heard that Nova Scotia is so beautiful as I would love to go there. Good Luck with the smoking issue. I really hope that you enjoy yourself.

Take Care.

Old 09-26-2003, 06:00 PM   #53
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Hello Daubie,

I just came back to read my thread and realized my post was not here. I had made a post to you this morning but some error must have happened.

I also think that we may always experience aches and pains related to the weather. My fear is what will the winter bring...Glad to hear that you have a desk job and don't have to be on your feet to much, although I am sure you have to get up and stretch quiet often. Wow I can't believe that you process disability claims. I bet you have heard all the sad stories. Years ago I was a CNA and it killed my back. I then starting working with Customer Service. After that I went back to school and took a course in computers and got my certification. Between my back and neck pain and my son with his severe migraine headaches, I decided to stay home.

Your trip sounds wonderful. I have heard of how beautiful Nova Scotia is. I would love to take a trip there. Good luck with the smoking issue. I hope that you continue to feel better.

Good Night.

Old 09-26-2003, 06:09 PM   #54
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User
    Hi Tomarrow! We are both on here at the same time. I will post, then see you posted right in front of me! How are you today? I don't know why it happens sometimes, but your post from this morning is on here. Don't know why you can't see it, that has happended to me also. Very strange. As is the ***** that show up when you don't type them. Very wierd. Anyway, I thought it was interesting that you typed almost exactly the same thing the second time!!! I can NEVER recreate my posts. BTW, what is a CNA? I am very tired, had a rough day! Will catch up more tomarrow, Tomarrow! (hehe!). ~Daubie

------------------
    Car Accident 2/2/02
    Herniated disc L5/S1
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03

Old 09-26-2003, 06:11 PM   #55
    StillWater

StillWater HB User
    Tomorrow,

I was talking with someone at the office today, whose mother is going to have fusion surgery next month. She said her mother's surgeon told her that for the first six months after surgery she was going to wonder why in the world she had ever had it done. But then, one day, around six months following surgery, she was going to wake up and think "wow, I'm really glad I had the surgery!" I thought of you, and wondered if your doctor (and those of others who are having problems) had told you that, if you'd feel less discouraged now, after 3 months.

Maybe all surgeons should say something like that. Of course, I have no idea what this woman may have asked that prompted that response.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

StillWater

Old 09-27-2003, 06:15 AM   #56
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Hello Daubie,

Good Morning.
    This has happened to me a couple of times. I post and then I am brought to the page and guess what, I can't see my post. Or sometimes I get a message and I am asked to reload the page. So then I have the same post multiple times. I also had a virus on my machine a couple of times and I thought this was contributing to the problem.

OK, I had thought I was developing a memory problem. After reading my posts to you, maybe not. I was trying to remember what I had previously typed to you. I guess I came pretty darn close...lol
    A CNA is a certified nurses aid. I had worked at my local nursing home. Taking care of 22 patients all by myself had it's toll on me.

It's seems as if the nights are getting worse for me with this nerve pain in my left heel and the stiffness in my left leg. I think my body is telling me not to lie down. Now what???
    Yea, it's funny how we were both online last night posting right before or after each other.
    I hope that you got rest last night after your rough day..

Have a Great Day...

Old 09-27-2003, 06:55 AM   #57
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Hello Stillwater,

Thank you for your post. When I hear about the possibilities of pain relief taking longer for other's it gives me so much hope. Sounds as if this women had a great doctor to tell it like it is. I have more respect for that doctor then my own. Yea my doctor told me how long a fusion recovery takes, but did not even try and explain the discomfort and pain that I may experience. Oh he gave me a quick demo and a pamphlet and told me that I am a candidate for surgery, but that was it. He even told me about their being no guarantees with pain relief only hope. But he never explained that some people take so much longer than other's. If he would have done this maybe I wouldn't be so worried about having a failed fusion. When I read post's on how quickly some have had a relief in their pain, I envy them and then feel sorry for myself.
    But, thank God for the web. This is where I have found so much information. And of course all the wonderful people that are willing to share their knowledge and medical history. The kindness and warm wishes from the heart of complete strangers is unbelievable. This has helped me more than I can possibly say. I can't even find the words to describe how I feel.
    Daubie has also told me about a patient at physical therapy that took about 5 months before feeling any pain relief. That post also gave me a tremendous amount of hope. I realize that we are different with different diagnosis. I know that so much depends on how long we have had our back pain and diagnosis before agreeing to surgery. Also other medical factor's play a big role in recovery. Oh, and don't forget about our surgeon's. I also wonder how our muscles and nerves were handled during surgery. Was the proper length and size of instrumentation put into our spine... Oh I can go on and on so I better stop....

Thank You....

Old 09-27-2003, 06:55 AM   #58
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User
    Good morning! Yes, I had a very restful sleep last nite. That was actually my problem. Thurs. nite at the hotel, I couldn't sleep, woke up every 1/2 hour. I was sooo tired yesterday! Anyway, how are you today? I know what you mean about laying making the nerve pain worse. I didn't realize, until I went thru therapy, that I was irritating my nerve every nite, so I would wake up with foot pain. Sometimes it would wake me up, sometimes I would just wake up with it. It's the s1 nerve and because it runs along the outside of the foot, I would stretch it when sleeping, because my foot would flop over, creating the stretch. I tried an ankle brace, which helped for a couple weeks, but then that started irritating it. Now I sleep with a pillow between my legs, but it has to be long enough to go all the way to my feet. That really seems to help. I know you don't sleep on your stomach, but I was. It wasn't bothering my back, but it sure was irritating the nerve. So, maybe you need to try to figure out what it is that may be irritating the nerve, and try something else (I know your options are limited!) but something as simple as a pillow may help?

I have to go get new tires on my truck today, and clean out my camper. Fun day, eh? Take care. Daubie

------------------
    Car Accident 2/2/02
    Herniated disc L5/S1
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03

Old 09-27-2003, 01:13 PM   #59
    MarianJ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

MarianJ HB User
    Hello Daubie,

Glad to hear that you got a good night's rest. I know how those nights of waking several times can affect us the next day.

I have to ask you about the ankle brace that you tried. Do they sell these in the basic drug store or did you have to go to a medical supply store? After last night I really have to try something. I will also try and figure out a way with a pillow as I still only sleep on my back.

Gosh it must be great to own a camper. My family and I would try and go camping every year but with our three room tent. We loved to go to Pennsylvania and go white water rafting. Last year we went but because of my back we had to rent a motel room. But I still got on that raft, but only my husband did the cliff diving. Some great memories..

Have a great day.

Old 09-27-2003, 02:33 PM   #60
    daubie
    Veteran

daubie HB User
    Hi Tomarrow. Yes, I bought the brace at a regular pharmacy. Its called an "air stirrup" brace. Actually, my therapist told me I could try an ace bandage to give the foot/ankle support. Maybe you could try that first, to see if supporting the ankle/foot helps. Give it a couple days though.

Where do you go rafting? I've done the Ohiopyle a few times, woohoo! A lot of fun. That's one of the things I gave up after my accident, but hope to return to. I also did the Cheat river in W.Va. Only did that once, we found a dead body!!! She was a young girl of about 16. Apparently she did a big no-no and stepped down and must have got her foot lodged between rocks. Our raft got stuck up on the rock, and when we dislodged, so did she. It was very freaky! She apparently hadn't been dead too long, because they did CPR on her until a helicopter flew in, but she didn't have a chance. Very sad... I love camping. Don't think I could do a tent anymore (how sad is that at 41 yrs old?). But in a camper, it's like being at home. Last summer, when we did our first camping trip after my accident, we went out a bought a really good mattress for the camper. What a difference! Maybe something you could look into at a later date (camper, I mean, not the mattress!). Did you see the post (sorry, don't remember which one, but I thought of you!) where the woman said she was talking with someone who said the doctor told her she will wonder why she ever had a fusion, for about 5 months after the surgery? And then one day, she'll start to feel relief. Sure hope and pray that is the case for you. Isn't it funny how, when you cyber chat with someone, you really get to feel like you know them personally? That's how I feel about you. Anyway, take care and I'll probably chat with you soon. Seems as though we are both on here a lot. Bye! ~Daubie

Anyway, hope you're having a nice day. I had to go sit at a tire store and wait 3 hours while they replaced my tires and my brakes. 850$ later and a very sore foot, I am home.

------------------
    Car Accident 2/2/02
    Herniated disc L5/S1
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03
    Microdiscectomy 6/6/03

Closed Thread