It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Arm pain & numbness ... Pinched nerve? Help!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-22-2004, 09:45 PM   #1
    Ellnyc
    (female)

Ellnyc HB User
    Question Arm pain & numbness ... Pinched nerve? Help!

I have been experiencing pretty lousy arm pain and numbness in my left arm for about 6-7 weeks. I saw my oncologist yesterday (b/c survivor) who thought it may be a pinched nerve & he is sending me for ex-rays of shoulder and cervical spine, (he didn't feel it was b/c related). My gp had also suggested this same possibility.
    I do plan to have the exrays, etc, but until I'm able to I would love some info.
    Can someone fill me in on what this means and how pinched nerves are treated? And what causes them? I am currently taking Ultram for the pain which gives me only fair relief but I'm trying to avoid (re-addiction to) opiates. Other chronic back conditions are degenerated discs L4 & 5, & arthtrtiis, for which I have been taking Vioxx.
    The term "Pinched nerve" is a new one for me. Is this yet another chronic condition?
    Thanks so much in advance for any insight you may have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2004, 11:18 PM   #2
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User
    Re: Arm pain & numbness ... Pinched nerve? Help!

I have a bulge at C5-6 and had an EMG done monday that presented a pinched nerve. My symptoms started with shoulder and neck pain. It has progressed down my left arm into my hands, as well as up to my jaw and head. I get some referred pain on the right side of my body as well. I hurt the most sitting straight up and standing. Driving is the hardest for me as well as reading or looking down. I have loss of normal lordosis (curve in neck) and can't put my head back like I used to, it is painful. I also have loss of range of motion to the left side when I turn my head that direction. I don't know what treatments are available for the pinched nerve when a disc is involved. I won't know until I see my neurosurgeon for a follow up Oct. 5. I did have three ESI's today, two in my neck one in my low back where I have two small bulges and a tear. I won't know for appx ten days if this will work. Currently, I have tried many meds, switching mostly b/c I was getting sick, but now know it was a combination of constipation and caffeine. I took a Lortab before the inj, one when I got home, then had to take a percocet and another lortab. I have an appt MOnday with my PCP to get a new stronger script, probably the percocet or Vicodin. I would suggest mentioning an MRI if the xrays are negative, which they may be. I have been out of work since July with all three problems. And right now I feel pain, numbness, and tingling from my head to my fingertips, and around below my scapula.
    I would be happy to discuss any further questions you may have to get you through til you get some good results with either xrays or other diagnositics. Melissa

Closed Thread