It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• nerve damage and temporary blindness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-31-2004, 02:12 PM   #1
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User
    Wink nerve damage and temporary blindness

I posted this on the Neuro. board, but then thought someone here may know something about it. In the past mo. I have had 3 different episodes where I'll wake up and one eye is blinded. It's just blackish/grayish. If I close the good eye all I see is a darkness. It's as if my eye is shut. Then it goes away in a few seconds. I know I have problems in my cervical area (Haven't had MRI but w/the pain in my neck, I am convinced of it.) Could nerve damage in that area cause temp. blindness?

Any thoughts?

Lorie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-31-2004, 07:04 PM   #2
    MARY G

MARY G HB User
    Re: nerve damage and temporary blindness

Lorie, I would call my eye doctor to make an appointment to have a dilated eye exam. There are so many factors related to vision. Blessings, Mary

Old 10-31-2004, 07:36 PM   #3
    Ribarb47

Ribarb47 HB User

Lorie~Whatever is going on, as Mary said, you need to go to the eye Dr. My feelings would be to go ASAP, like tomorrow. Find out who's on call. Your eyesight is nothing to play around with. Please see someone soon.
    Barbara

Old 11-01-2004, 06:44 AM   #4
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User
    Wink Re: nerve damage and temporary blindness

Thanks to both of you. I am making an appt. this morning.

Lorie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-01-2004, 11:38 PM   #5
    Spirogyra

Spirogyra HB User

Lorie--Let us know how you're doing and what you found out. Have you had surgery? In rare cases, face-down surgery can cause eye problems. Again, let us know what the opthy says.

Spiro

Old 11-02-2004, 06:59 PM   #6
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User

I saw my primary today and she took blood work and ordered a c-scan (with and w/o contrast). She also said to make an appt. with a neuro. So, the c-scan will be done on Thu. and tomorrow I will try to find a good Neuro.

Question...Dr. wanted to get an mri but realized that with my screws and cage from the fusion surgery, I can't do an mri. Will the c-scan do enough to detect neuro. problems? She said it's not as good but it's all we can do.

Thanks for the info.

Lorie

Old 11-02-2004, 08:55 PM   #7
    memawhurts
    (female)

memawhurts HB User

Lori,
    Why can't they do an MRI. I had a previous fusion before my recent revision and I had screws and rods. They did an MRI on me a couple of months before this last surgery. With and without contrast. Maybe it's different types of metal used. I think mine were titanium.

I'd love to hear some replies to this myself.

I hope everything works out for you and you find the problem soon. I'm sure this is a very scary time for you.

All my best,
    Memaw

Old 11-03-2004, 04:36 AM   #8
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Find out from the NS that did your surgery what type of metal was used and implanted during your surgery,you should probably find this out anyway.I had titanium as well,as the above poster and have no problems in getting an MRI.The titanium is all that my NS uses on all of his patients.i have had four MRIs since the fusion and have had no problems.Marcia

Old 11-03-2004, 04:50 AM   #9
    lil missey

lil missey HB User
    Thumbs up Re: nerve damage and temporary blindness

[QUOTE=Spirogyra]Lorie--Let us know how you're doing and what you found out. Have you had surgery? In rare cases, face-down surgery can cause eye problems. Again, let us know what the opthy says.

Spiro[/QUOTE]
    Hello, to everyone:I'm new here and i suffer with depression and nerve damage. i had to carpal tunnel surgery's. one worked for me and the other never so now i have numb and pain in my fingers. I also have Hep.C and my doc. is wanting me to get a liver Bioposy done wich I'm very afarid of. I know someone that had it done and I was right on the side of them when they did it to comfort them and there's noway I want it. I'm also afarid of them putting me on the med.I know the side effects to that too.I am also having some problems with my husband. If anybody here would like to talk to me where they can give me some advice or just comfort me I sure would appriecate it. Thanks:

Old 11-03-2004, 04:37 PM   #10
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User

To the question about mri's...I will call my ortho. tomorrow. I had titanium screws used and if I can have an mri...that would be so much better. It was my primary that thought I couldn't get an mri. I don't think she really knew. I am excited by your posts, because I am very concerned and I want the best results. Thank you. I see the neuro. tomorrow and am suppose to have the c-scan in the afternoon. I'll ask the neuro. what he thinks.

lil missey--have you checked for threads about hep. c? I actually have some info. about it, because my dad has lived with it for the past several years. I know the treatment is very rough and my dad did the treatment for a year and then finally took part in an experimental program for a year. It was a year of extreme ups and downs but they have just cleared him. He has no signs of the hepititis C and his liver counts are 100% where they should be. He says he hasn't felt this good in years. So, I want you to know there is hope. I know it doesn't seem like it at times, but people do get well from it.

Thank you everyone, I will update you after tomorrow's Neuro. visit.

Lorie

Old 11-04-2004, 05:44 AM   #11
    feelbad
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Missy, my son has had many biopsys done on his liver over the past couple of years for his liver failure and subsequent transplant.It is a pretty straightforward and simple procedure if the doc doing it has alot of experience.You are given Versed,which really relaxes you.I believe they also gave him fentanyl which is a strong pain killer.They will also numb the area to be biopsied with lidocaine(this is prbably the worst part of the whole procedure) first so you wont even feel the actual biopsy being done.

The actual biopsy is a very quick "punch' done with a special kind of needle that takes a long skinny section of the liver(it actually looks like a little worm floating around in saline when they put it in the jar and send it to the lab)Afterwords, they have you lie on that side to compress the area and minimize bleeding.My son has had like five seperate liver biopsys done and has lived to tell about it.You will do fine.Good luck to you,Marcia

Old 11-04-2004, 05:08 PM   #12
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User

Just an update...I went to the Neuro. today. He put me on an asprin a day in case the temp. loss of sight was due to a stroke, but he thinks it stems from a cardiac problem rather than a nerve problem. None the less, I will see a cardiologist, have an MRI and a MRA (I don't know what an MRA is) of my neck area, and a sleugh of labs.

Thanks for keeping me in your prayers and thoughts,

Lorie

Closed Thread