It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• How much Ultracet is o.k.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-13-2004, 06:00 PM   #1
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User
    Wink How much Ultracet is o.k.

Hi all, can anyone tell me what the maximum safe dosage of Ultracet would be? My Dr. isn't big on narcotics (which I don't mind) but on the days I over do it, the 2 ultracets dont touch the pain.

Thanks for any input,

Lorie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2004, 06:57 PM   #2
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User
    Re: How much Ultracet is o.k.

you can get online and look it up. I think, someone may want to check up on me-but I know Tramadol, you can take up to five a day, and I believe Ultracet is similar(depends on the dosage). I will see if I can find some more info for you.

Old 11-13-2004, 07:24 PM   #3
    Mizcriz

Mizcriz HB User

I'm allowed to take 8 of the Tramadol a day. But I'm not sure what the difference would be between the two. I've taken both (at different times), and really didn't see any difference.

Miz
    Injured 5/2/01 in a fall. 43 yr old. Suffering with Sciatica with tingling and numbness on the buttock, leg and entire foot. Recently has started being symptomatic in the right leg, as well. MRI 2/03 Showed straightening of the normal lumbar lordosis. L4-L5 bulging disk assoc. with posterior spondylytic changes. Effacing the ventral thecal sac. Slight hypertrophic changes of the superior articulating facets. L5-S1 central bulging disk with annular tear. Effacing the ventral thecal sac. Disk desiccation is evident at the L5-S1. Assoc. end plate degenerative changes involving the inferior and superior aspects of the L5 and S1. Mild hypertrophy of the superior articulating facets and ligamentum flavum. EMG of 4/03 shows basically a normal read, however the Dr. did note that the left tibial velocity and the left sural sensory nerve latencies are reading borderline.
    DDD is also present.
    MRI 8/18/03 L5-S1 is now a 5mm herniation. L4-L5 is now a bulging disk with annular tear. L1-L2 and L2-L3 show decreased height. Disk Dessication is evident from L1 to L5. S1 is noted as a segmented disk.

Old 11-13-2004, 07:27 PM   #4
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

I think the strenght makes the difference. And, the med info my mil read online (she is an RN) said NOT to exceed 5 in 24 hours. But, I don't know what strenght the med was.

Old 11-13-2004, 07:29 PM   #5
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

OH NEVERMIND!! I was actually thinking ULTRAM. Sorry!

Old 11-13-2004, 07:34 PM   #6
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

Now I feel like I am losing it. Okay, so Ultracet does have Tramadol. Infact, both meds do. I don't know if I can say how many you can take based on a site from Ultracet. I would love to, but afraid that is not allowed. You should call your doc. Let's just say that Mizcriz is right-

Old 11-14-2004, 04:36 AM   #7
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User
    Wink Re: How much Ultracet is o.k.

Thanks guys, I tried looking on the web, but I'm not really that good at searching for things. I'll keep looking though. I really want to know if I can take more than 2 at one time. I am sure the Dr. will be able to tell me this tomorrow. You all have a great Sunday.

Lorie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 11-14-2004, 03:00 PM   #8
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

you have a great day too-

Old 11-14-2004, 07:07 PM   #9
    onthemendnow
    (female)

onthemendnow HB User

My experience with Ultracet: I was taking 2 every 4-6 hours for about 8 weeks after my fusion. (Maybe a little less frequently around the 6/7 week mark.) Two daily definitely would not have helped ... two taken regularly did help me. p.s. This frequency was what was on my prescription.
    Want to edit to say this: I was told not to take Tylenol when I was taking Ultracet because I'd go over the recommended daily amt of acetaminophen.

Last edited by onthemendnow; 11-14-2004 at 07:09 PM.

Old 11-15-2004, 02:10 AM   #10
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User
    Wink Re: How much Ultracet is o.k.

Thanks onthemendnow, I did go to a website and learned that I can take up to 8/day, (2 every 4 hrs. max). I think the reason 2 haven't helped is because I only take it as needed (and only when the pain gets to be too much). I guess it's a med. that you need to take on a more reg. basis. I'm going to see if there are meds. out there that I can take as needed that will work. Thanks for the advice.

Lorie

Old 11-16-2004, 07:15 PM   #11
    Rampage
    Veteran
    (female)

Rampage HB User

ultracet is a non-narcotic painkiller, so you should be fine. my scrip showed up to 6 a day, and i don't come close. i insisted on no more narcs...made the mistake of going cold turkey! just though, even with the new understanding, that avoiding them was my best bet. cheers.
    IDET '04
    Laminectomy '06
    Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
    Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Old 11-16-2004, 07:27 PM   #12
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Rampage,

I thought that Ultraset was not a narcotic, also. The doctor assured me of this, but then he told me that Xanax was not addictive also. Even though Ultraset is not in the same class as the opiates, I believe that it is a synthetic opiate, like Oxycontin. I took them for awhile believing my doctor. Then I read up about them. Some one here on the boards wrote out why they were a narcotic, just not as strong.

I may be wrong.

Closed Thread