It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 3 1/2 weeks post-op laminotomy/discectomy L5-S1

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-17-2004, 09:28 PM   #1
    debbie1

debbie1 HB User
    3 1/2 weeks post-op laminotomy/discectomy L5-S1

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Arial Black]its been 3 1/2 weeks and things are going ok. Its still very hard for me to keep pillows in the right place when sleeping, as they always end up on the floor. I can not for the life of me, sleep on my stomach either, but that i suppose is a good thing. The only main problem I have is getting into a car. And when I am on my feet too much I have problems lifting my leg into the car. Is this normal, will it go away? Also the incision is still a bit apinful but not to the point that i need my pain meds.
    I see my doc on the 22nd of this month and we will be starting the physical therapy shortly after. I wonder when I will be able to go back to work?[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2004, 07:16 AM   #2
    lorry96

lorry96 HB User
    Re: 3 1/2 weeks post-op laminotomy/discectomy L5-S1

Hi Debbie,

I have the same problem, although if my pillow is not on the floor it is under my partner! When getting into the car you are turning round so you sit backwards on the seat and then spin round putting both legs in the car at the same time. That is how i was told to get in and out. Dont do it the usual way where you put one leg in first and then slip in sideways. Anyway i was told not to go out in a car after my operation for 6 weeks unless absolutely needed. Not allowed to drive for 6 weeks either.
    I had a discectomy on L5-S1 5 months ago was not allowed to even bend for six weeks. No standing/ sitting for longer than 15 min for first 3 weeks.

Regards to work, depends what you do for a living

Old 11-18-2004, 07:35 AM   #3
    TxHunni42

Everyone is different. My doctor allowed me to drive at 3 weeks after my lami/discectomy.

The things you are feeling are very normal. Remember, it's only been 3 weeks.

The incision could be tender for a few weeks to come. As long as it's not red and inflamed or feeling hot I wouldn't worry. If it is, or has drainage from it, you might need to be concerned about infection and should call your doctor.

The in and out of the car thing is tricky. Like Lorry said... butt goes into the seat first, then scooch the legs/feet around.

Once you start physical therapy... those muscles will start working for you again.

The pillow thing... I know ohhh too well. I finally gave up on the pillows - figuring I didn't need them if I was tossing them in my sleep (and my doctor said he agreed).

The tummy thing will come - but you're right... it's not the best position for anyone.

Old 11-18-2004, 08:07 AM   #4
    debbie1

debbie1 HB User

I was told no bending, lifting, pushing, pulling for 6 weeks. I was also told no driving, although i cheated the other day. But other then that, my mom usualy drives and I just have to get out, ya know...i hate being cooped up.
    I figure I won't do what I can not handle...let my body do the talking...but believe me, i dont do much. It feels better to sit than to stand for a long time though.

Yes I get into the car butt first and then bring my legs in...I have also tried the side thing once and it hurts just the same. Its hard shifting your body weight when you are overweight either way

I guess i'm just getting irritated

Old 11-18-2004, 08:12 AM   #5
    lorry96

lorry96 HB User

Hold in there, i know how you feel, i was going up the wall being cooped up all day and felt useless. Do be careful of doing too much though you need to make sure you are properly healed inside, otherwise you could have more problems again.
    you leg will get better with Phisio.

Old 11-18-2004, 08:22 AM   #6
    texasmary
    (female)

texasmary HB Usertexasmary HB User

I'm at about the same place you are, Debbie. When I had my sutures out and my first post-op visit 9 days ago, my surgeon basically told me to do what I felt like doing. He said I could do any sleep position that I felt comfortable with. I do try to put a pillow under my knees when on my back, and between my knees when on my side. My problem is that I stay too long in one position and wake up feeling very stiff and sore (this happens about 4 or 5 times a night). My surgeon assured me that if I feel pain when I try to do something requiring bending that it is NOT the hardware breaking loose, that it is only pain from incisions and retraining muscles to work. That helped me feel more confident to try getting back to a regular routine. I am doing some cooking, some dish washing, some laundry, etc.... just being careful not to lift too much or twist around. Getting into a car is a challenge for me also, since my car sits down pretty low to the ground. But each time I do it, it gets easier... the trick for me is to get my butt way back into the seat before swinging my legs around. My next doctor's visit will be Nov. 30 and we will talk about being able to drive again and whether any physical therapy is necessary. Best wishes, Mary in Texas

Old 11-18-2004, 09:08 AM   #7
    AlSmith
    Veteran

AlSmith HB User

Debbie, it sounds to me you are doing well. I had pain in my incision for 6 weeks. You may try putting a garbage bag on the seat when getting in the car. It makes swinging into the car alot easier. Keep walking, you are doing great!

Alan

Old 11-18-2004, 09:54 AM   #8
    TxHunni42

My doc told me yesterday that getting irritated is a good sign...a sign of getting better and actually WANTING things back to normal. The desire fuels recovery. Ya gotta want to first.

Hang in there...I remember week 3 and 4 being kinda tough but it gets better.

Old 11-18-2004, 12:02 PM   #9
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

I used to drive a small school bus and I had a problem getting my legs in. I would sit on the seat and put one leg in then I would press that foot against the inside of the vehicle and I could lift the second leg in because the pressure was off it. In fact I did that to get into my car.
    fly

Last edited by flyonthewall; 11-19-2004 at 03:59 AM.

Old 11-18-2004, 04:50 PM   #10
    TxHunni42

GREAT idea Al!

Mary in Tx... glad to hear you're coming along so well! It's great to feel human again, isn't it?

Closed Thread