It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Here's a new one - Fusion allergy???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-30-2004, 08:03 PM   #1
    Rhonni
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Rhonni HB User
    Here's a new one - Fusion allergy???

At the risk of sounding like a crackpot.... HA....
    Has anyone had any reaction to their pins from their fusion? I've gotten the itchies all of a sudden, almost like a medicine allergy, but haven't been on any meds for a couple weeks now. I'm just wondering if its possible that my body is reacting to these pins in me. I know it sounds weird and not likely, but I had these kind of hivey/itchy things before and ended up finding out that I had a tumor. Once it was out, the itchies went away. Just thought these pins were also something foreign in me and maybe my body isn't liking it?

Ya don't know if ya don't ask. Just wondering.
    Hunni

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2004, 08:14 PM   #2
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User
    Re: Here's a new one - Fusion allergy???

good question, but I have no idea! Kind of like my odd chin breakouts after EVERY surgery.....

Old 11-30-2004, 10:18 PM   #3
    AlSmith
    Veteran

AlSmith HB User

Hunni, one thing about having back problems is you meet other people with back problems as well. I have heard of a guy who had an allergy to the titanium and had to have it all taken out. From what I understand, he did have a severe allergic reaction though and it is an extremely rare allergy. I hope this is not the case for you. Two steps forward, one back, no pun intended.

Alan

Old 12-01-2004, 05:20 AM   #4
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

My back itched for a while, maybe because it was healing. I don't know whats going on. I've had bloodwork twice since surgery, 6/15, but not for the surgeon. I was anemic. Now I'm not but my RDWs are up---the internist said my boremarrow is working overtime. Fusing? The bloodwork also shows an allergy issue? I'm sending copies to my surgeon.

Last edited by flyonthewall; 12-01-2004 at 07:18 AM.

Old 12-01-2004, 07:01 AM   #5
    Rhonni
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Rhonni HB User

Al, you crack me up! HA. Thanks for the pun. Do you know what symptoms your friend had to cause them to suspect the titanium allergy?

Fly: was the back itching at the incision site? I'm having overall body itching -mostly legs.

Old 12-01-2004, 07:19 AM   #6
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

The itching was across my lower back.
    fly

Old 11-14-2007, 07:29 PM   #7
    Donno55
    (male)

Donno55 HB User

My wife has a severe titanium allergy. She gets welts, burning and itching on any site that touches the metal, or with any product that has it like most toothpastes, analgesics, or many processed foods. Right now she is looking at having 6 fillings removed that were put in to replace mercury amalgam. The composite fillings have titanium and she has blisters on her gums and cheek where the fillings come into contact. Maybe this allergy isn't as rare as people think. Titanium is touted as hypoallergenic!

Old 11-14-2007, 09:18 PM   #8
    Chris54
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Chris54 HB User

My surgeon told me that some people start to reject the hardware or any joint pins just like any foreign object in their body. I think I have more than just a metal allergy going on, but they did look into this also.

Old 11-14-2007, 09:34 PM   #9
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User

I had unexplainable swelling post fusion surgery. I have rods/screws at l4/l5. I have allergies galore to include metal allergies. Titanium allergies are still rare. Also deep tissue implantation reactions are quite different than that of allergies on the surface of the skin.

They can put a patch on you to see if it shows any signs of irritation, but the only true way to determine a "true" titanium allergy is to draw blood and sent to only a few labs in the country.

And then, deep tissue implantation can have a totally different effect.

It was never determined if I was allergic. Things started to settle down, therefore I never went with the patch test, due to the knowledge that it would be inconclusive of the deep tissue implantation titanium.

If you have food or environmental allergies.. those hives could be from just about anything. Hives are indeed a reaction to something and I would suggest you see your GP and try and figure out what the cause is.

Allergies can be very serious and I've been sent to the hospital for them on more than one occasion.

In the meantime.. Benadryl can often help.

Keep us posted.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
    Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
    Solidly Fused Nov-2006
    A Success, but still improving!

Closed Thread