It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Nerve Damage Testing

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-06-2004, 06:59 PM   #1
    PainIsIt
    (female)

PainIsIt HB User
    Nerve Damage Testing

I was wondering if anyone knows of a test to find out if I have nerve damage and whether it is permanent. Also, if there is a test what is the procedure and how painful is it?

My history is that I injured my back in May 2002, went thru PT, chiropractor and several epidural shots. Finally, had laminectomy/discectomy on L4/5 in April 2003 to cut off bulge. Had lots of scar tissue after that. Only had 10 days of relief after laminectomy, then the leg pain returned. Have been on Neurontin since then. Tried an implanted Neurostimulator in April 2004, but it didn't stimulate my legs in the right places. It was removed in July 2004. The back and leg pain has gotten worse. I plan to get artificial disc at L4/5 and L5/S1 levels the end of December or January, but don't know if the nerve pain in the legs will get any better. The pain management doctor thinks I have permanent nerve damage, but I wonder how he knows that. I am also taking Hydromorphon every 6 hours, but it doesn't seem to help with the pain much - just makes me hyper. I do get relief if I lay down, but who wants to do that all of the time. Sitting is bad, as well as standing and walking. Sorry this is so long.

Any ideas for nerve pain tests would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-06-2004, 07:05 PM   #2
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User
    Re: Nerve Damage Testing

there are two test: Nerve conduction (not too painful, more irritating) and an EMG (can be painful, especially if you do have a nerve issue like me with my pinched nerve). I can't really elaborate for you, but someone on here will be able to. Good luck to you!

Old 12-06-2004, 07:06 PM   #3
    Jessie1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jessie1 HB User

There is a nerve test called an EMG that is used to determine if there is nerve damage or nerve impingement. Ask your doctor about it! Good luck!

Jessie

Old 12-06-2004, 07:44 PM   #4
    TexasWildRose04
    Veteran
    (female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

The EMG/NCV is a test that can tell them if you have nerve damage.... I had one done.... that is how they found out that I have nerve damage.... as far as permenant.... all I can do is tell you what my Pain Management Doc and my Neurologist told me......They both told me that I definately have nerve damage, at my S1 nerve root... and that IF it was going to heal, that it would take a really long time, sometime they do heal, sometimes they don't and it can be a long wait....

The NCV is not so much painful as irritating.... but the EMG is quite painful.. .atleast mine was.....they stick a small needle in various muscles either in your legs, and have you flex that muscle and then rest it... then they get readings.... you can talk to your doctor more about it.... Good Luck to you.

Take Care.

Old 12-12-2004, 02:04 PM   #5
    Alisonbu
    (female)

Alisonbu HB User

I am 23 and just had an EMG. It was painful where the nerve damage was but it was worth finding out what was happening. It also pinpointed where the damage was coming from and how severe it was. I would reccommend going through the pain for a few minutes to find out what is going on.

Closed Thread