It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• decompression laminectomy

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-09-2004, 07:27 PM   #1
    razzle_dazzle
    (male)

razzle_dazzle HB User
    decompression laminectomy

hi,
    my uncle is gonna go thru a decompression laminectomy i wanted to know what is it exactly and are there anything he should be worried about
    thankyou

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2004, 09:28 PM   #2
    TexasWildRose04
    Veteran
    (female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
    Re: decompression laminectomy

[QUOTE=razzle_dazzle]hi,
    my uncle is gonna go thru a decompression laminectomy i wanted to know what is it exactly and are there anything he should be worried about
    thankyou[/QUOTE]

Hi.... In this type of back surgery, a small portion of the bone over the nerve root and/or disc material from under the nerve root is removed to give the nerve root more space and provide a better healing environment.

I had a Laminectomy back in June.... I was only in the hospital a day and a half....went in the morning of the surgery stayed all night and came home the next day around noon.... I have an insision scar of about 3 inches.... What area is you uncle having surgery on?? Mine was at L5-S1...My surgery took about 1 hour or so... Hope your uncles surgery goes smoothly..... Take Care.

April

Old 12-09-2004, 09:46 PM   #3
    AlSmith
    Veteran

AlSmith HB User

Check out the first post on post surgery ideas. A grabber from a hardware store is great. A raised toilet seat is very helpful as well. Books and videos are nice to keep him occupied. Support and encouragement are also very helpful.

Alan

Old 12-10-2004, 05:11 AM   #4
    Rhonni
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Rhonni HB User

The decomp. lami is done to take pressure off from the nerve, usually caused by bone or pressing disk matter. (Removing the lamina)

There are all the same type of risks with a Lami - nerve damage, paralysis, etc. - at least that's the chant they recite to you before surgery, just like they do with any surgery. I think it happens very seldom.

Recovery, depending on your uncle's age and condition, should be pretty easy. He'll have a week or two of discomfort, gradually decreasing as the days go on.

With mine, I was out of work 8 weeks, but I was being liberal with it. Could have easily gone back at 4-6.

Old 12-10-2004, 07:28 AM   #5
    razzle_dazzle
    (male)

razzle_dazzle HB User

hes having surgery done on his L4 and L5. what was the symptoms before and after the surgery.
    after the surgery do you guys still experience little bit back pain

Old 12-10-2004, 08:05 AM   #6
    TexasWildRose04
    Veteran
    (female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=razzle_dazzle]hes having surgery done on his L4 and L5. what was the symptoms before and after the surgery.
    after the surgery do you guys still experience little bit back pain[/QUOTE]

Hi... My surgery was at L5-S1 back in June......my symptoms before surgery were lower back pain.... a shooting stabbing pain that started in my hip and traveled down the back of my right leg down the side of my calf and into my right foot.....I had nerve compression of both the left and right nerves....9 mm herniation...

After the surgery I had complete and total relief for about 2 weeks or so, then my pain gradually started to return.... I now have it in my Lower back, hips, buttocks, leg, calf and foot.... stabbing, aching, burning, crawling, tingling... and also numbness in the side of my right leg just below the knee and numbness in the side of my foot and toes...I have also developed the same pain on my left side as well, which I did not have before surgery...... I also have no reflex in my right foot... but mine is due to nerve damage they say from my nerve being compressed to long before surgery...The nerve damage is at the S1 nerve root.....They say my nerve may heal, then again it may not, only time is going to tell at this point...

This is just what has happened with me.... You uncle's situation could be totally different, he may have his surgery and be pain free when he wakes up and continue from now on to be pain free, each individual is different..... but good luck to him... Hope his surgery is a complete and total success...

Take Care.

Old 12-10-2004, 08:16 AM   #7
    Terri43
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Terri43 HB User

This is for Texaswildrose, How long did you wait to have surgery that caused permanent nerve damage? I have had a 8mm buldge on my spinal cord for 6 months. that has me worried all the time.

Old 12-10-2004, 11:09 AM   #8
    razzle_dazzle
    (male)

razzle_dazzle HB User

thanx texaswildrose, i just have another question for you. i understand everyone is different my uncle had this problem since 1998 when he got into an accident but in the past couple of year it really worsened.
    in your scenario was the operation a good choice or not, im just askin becuase my uncle is having a hard time making up his mind, his operation is on the 14th.
    thanks texaswildrose

Old 12-10-2004, 11:15 AM   #9
    ktboxler

ktboxler HB User

razzle dazzle,

I had a L4-5 in Feb of '03. I was in the hospital overnight and out the next day. Recovery time was 8 weeks. I had a large herniated disc (11mm) that was putting pressure on a nerve. They remove some bone and all the disc material they can that are on the nerve. The pain I was having before the surgery was radiating pain down my right buttock, leg and calf. You can really feel it awful when you try to lift your legs in a sitting position and when sitting in a chair. The car was the worst, maybe because of the angle you sit or something. My scar is only 1 1/2 inches long. I did have pain afterward just because of swelling and the nerve had been crushed for so long that it was "waking up" and it was causing pain. Once I was on Neurontin for a while and time went by that pain was gone and everything was fine. I now have surgery on the 17th for a 2 level fusion at L4-5 and L5-S1 because my facet joints have deteriorated quite a bit.

I'm sure your uncle will do fine and I'm sure this will help his pain quite a bit.

Old 12-10-2004, 12:03 PM   #10
    razzle_dazzle
    (male)

razzle_dazzle HB User

hi
    this is for ktboxler. how long did you have the back problem for before you went for your surgery, and was it laminecotmy or micro disectomy which they performed on your L4-5
    and good luck on your surgery
    thanks

Last edited by razzle_dazzle; 12-10-2004 at 12:04 PM.

Old 12-10-2004, 02:01 PM   #11
    ktboxler

ktboxler HB User

razzle dazzle - I had a laminectomy. The night that it herniated will be imbedded in my mind forever because it was worse than childbirth! I have had low back pain a few times a year for about 6 years before my surgery but it was always the same - go to the dr and they give you muscle relaxers and pain killers and tell you that you have pulled a muscle. Finally after it herniated I was found to have Degenerative Disc Disease. He said that even though I had not had an accident or any kind of trauma that even a sneeze could have ruptured it since it was degenerated. The surgery really helped the nerve pain that I had down my rear and leg and all was good for a year and a half and this summer I started having awful pain in my low back and hips while in bed and slouching on the couch or recliner. I put up with it and then when it got too bad I told my neurosurgeon and had cortizone injections. This really helped the first time and lasted a good 4 months. I had more injections in October, only this time it didn't work and the pain is awful. He ordered another MRI and found that in this 2 year time period since my last surgery that my joints at L4-5 and L5-S1 are deteriorating very rapidly and that is what is causing the pain. Just getting a little scared about the whole thing.

Old 12-10-2004, 06:58 PM   #12
    TexasWildRose04
    Veteran
    (female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=Terri43]This is for Texaswildrose, How long did you wait to have surgery that caused permanent nerve damage? I have had a 8mm buldge on my spinal cord for 6 months. that has me worried all the time.[/QUOTE]

Hi....My pain started around December of last year.... and I didnt have my surgery until this past June... So around 6 months....before the surgery...I would have had it sooner, but I went to a wacko doctor that first diagnosed me with a pulled hamstring, because of the shooting pain in the pack of my leg and such... he did not do any MRI or anything....Went through therapy and this and that and when it did not get better I questioned that it could be something in my back, and he didnt want to even consider it, so I looked for another doctor and finally started the process of finding out it was the herniation at L5-S1.

Old 12-11-2004, 08:26 AM   #13
    StillWater

StillWater HB User

I'm still trying to make up my mind (psych myself up) for surgery. The NS wants to do a decompressive laminectomy & facetectomy, and the OS wants to do a fusion of L4-L5 . I am more likely to go with the NS. The diagnosis is severe spinal stenosis at L4-L5, moderate stenosis at L2-L3, sponlylolythesis grade 1, DDD. I first saw the Ortho surgeon about 3 yrs ago for sciatic pain down both legs. My primary hestitation is that I'm afraid the pain will be as bad or worse after surgery. I [I]know[/I] the pain I'm living with now -- maybe the unknown will be worse.

still struggling...

StillWater

Old 12-11-2004, 01:18 PM   #14
    Rhonni
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Rhonni HB User

Maybe neurosurgeons take a more conservative approach. I had a neuro do a decomp. lami and disectomy... only to end up 14 months later with a fusion.

I finally feel the best I have in a few years.

Good luck to you.

Old 12-11-2004, 05:39 PM   #15
    razzle_dazzle
    (male)

razzle_dazzle HB User

thanx for the your input everyone i really apreciate it. i wanted to ask you guys how many of you would recommend it and how many you wont. cuz we all are very confused specially my uncle. u guys probably know what frame of mind my uncle is in better then me
    thax once again

Closed Thread