It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Nerve Block

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-16-2004, 10:22 PM   #1
    aestrella411
    (female)

aestrella411 HB User
    Nerve Block

Has anyone here ever had a Medial Branch Block? It's apparently a diagnostic tool that rules out facet joint pain. They temporarily numb the nerves of the back and if you get somewhere from 2-6 hours of relief (no pain) then it's successful and they will do a more long term form of that procedure. This supposed long term procedure involves literally "burning" the nerves. I've interpreted this to mean that they merely block the receptors that perceive pain. I've been recommended this by the PM. Per my MRI results, I have a herniated L4/L5 disk. I have had terrible back pain and more ongoing bouts of sciatica primarily on my left leg but since the one ESI that I had, my right calf area is becoming affected. I'm too young for this, I'm only 20 but I'm going through the processes that some of you I believe have gone through. So, the way I see it, how beneficial can numbing nerves be? I mean, if it's successful and I don't feel pain, well....it appears as though I'm not going to feel much of anything else either. How can that be a good thing? What does anybody think out here about this??? I have no choice but to go through with this but I was wondering if anyone else out here has had a medial branch block. Any input is greatly appreciated. -Anita

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2004, 12:38 AM   #2
    beachgirl01
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

beachgirl01 HB User
    Re: Nerve Block

Hi there,
    I have never heard of this before but I have to say it doesn't sound like something I would like to stand behind and go through with for myself. I didn't even like having my ESI. It did nothing for me but made my pain more intense for several days and then it went back to the "normal" excruciating pain that i have all the time. I don't like the idea of blocking pain espescailly when it comes down to nerves. To me it seems as though when your body hurts it's telling you something is wrong and when you "numb" the pain you may tend to forget it's there and again when it comes to nerves and possibly getting permenant nerve damage I personally wouldn't want to block the pain. If there was no way that it would make things worse then I would consider going through with it. But when doctors say that they are going to block the pain, that scares me. My pain tells me when to stop and take it easy and if I cannot feel it than I would be scared that things would be getting worse and possibly leading to more damage that was even there before. Like I said I have never heard of this but by the way you described it, I wouldn't do it. That's just my personal opinion but I am going to look further into this. Take care and keep me posted on what's going on. Kristy.

Old 12-17-2004, 08:16 AM   #3
    Texmom

Texmom HB User

I've never heard of letting someone "burn" your nerves either. I had a nerve block, where the sadist shot keflex into my nerve in an attempt to relieve the sciatica. It resulted in the worst pain I've ever experienced in my life. My sciatica was relieved ONLY after the hemilaminectomy. The rest of this stuff is just avoiding the inevitable, in my opinion, and it's expensive and painful.

Old 02-28-2005, 11:55 AM   #4
    nascar24gordan
    (female)

nascar24gordan HB User

Yes I have had a nerve block about 8 months ago, and it hurts like heck. I tripped over a cable cord 3 years ago and have sacroilliatis. In extreme pain have had 8 months of therapy, 3 cortizone shots, a nerve block and nothing helps. They cannot keep my si in place it keeps popping out causing tremendous pain. DO NOT GET THE NERVE BLOCK If you have had a cortozone shots and it only gives you temporary relief then the nerve block will do the same. Only temporary relief. I will never get one again and definately don't recommend to anyone. I am begging my doctor to fuse me.

Old 02-28-2005, 02:18 PM   #5
    kwise
    (female)

kwise HB User

I had the nerve block on Tuesday last week (22nd) and by Friday I was admitted to hospital in worse shape. So my advise to you is not have it. I know I wont have it again.

Old 02-28-2005, 02:40 PM   #6
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Nascar24garden:

If your SI keeps popping out, you might want to look into Prolotherapy. It worked for me and I am going for a tuneup next month. I had the same problem due to loose ligaments.

take care,

Old 03-01-2005, 11:14 AM   #7
    heidi23

heidi23 HB User

[QUOTE=nascar24gordan]Yes I have had a nerve block about 8 months ago, and it hurts like heck. I tripped over a cable cord 3 years ago and have sacroilliatis. In extreme pain have had 8 months of therapy, 3 cortizone shots, a nerve block and nothing helps. They cannot keep my si in place it keeps popping out causing tremendous pain. DO NOT GET THE NERVE BLOCK If you have had a cortozone shots and it only gives you temporary relief then the nerve block will do the same. Only temporary relief. I will never get one again and definately don't recommend to anyone. I am begging my doctor to fuse me.[/QUOTE]

Gordon, if you have an SI problem, as far as dislocation, I would highly recommend looking into prolotherapy.
    I had that same problem and was at my wits end about what could be done for it, and prolotherapy has been a HUGE help in that regard. My SI pain was GREATLY reduced - to virtually nothing - after one round of prolo, and my SI joint hasn't even threatened to dislocate since then.
    I know some people on here weren't necessarily happy with the results they had with prolo, but I would at least look into it if I were you. For me it was a godsend.

Old 03-03-2005, 11:52 AM   #8
    nascar24gordan
    (female)

nascar24gordan HB User

Thanks for responding to my si popping out, but can you please explain the procedure you are referring to? I have never heard of it. My doctor has never mentioned this and she doesn't believe in the fusion. I told my doctor that I am only 30 and very athletic now I can't even walk right without my si popping out. The next step my doctor wanted my to go to is a pain management center in Chicago and I told her no. In my mind that is covering up the problem that needs to be addressed. Next Thursday I have an appointment with a back surgeon - not one that does the fusing, but hopefully he can refer me. The end of June will be the 3rd year everytime they put my si joint back in I move and it pops right back out. I think if I could of broke this part of my body I would of recovered faster.

Old 03-03-2005, 12:06 PM   #9
    TexasWildRose04
    Veteran
    (female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=aestrella411]Has anyone here ever had a Medial Branch Block? It's apparently a diagnostic tool that rules out facet joint pain. They temporarily numb the nerves of the back and if you get somewhere from 2-6 hours of relief (no pain) then it's successful and they will do a more long term form of that procedure. This supposed long term procedure involves literally "burning" the nerves. I've interpreted this to mean that they merely block the receptors that perceive pain. I've been recommended this by the PM. Per my MRI results, I have a herniated L4/L5 disk. I have had terrible back pain and more ongoing bouts of sciatica primarily on my left leg but since the one ESI that I had, my right calf area is becoming affected. I'm too young for this, I'm only 20 but I'm going through the processes that some of you I believe have gone through. So, the way I see it, how beneficial can numbing nerves be? I mean, if it's successful and I don't feel pain, well....it appears as though I'm not going to feel much of anything else either. How can that be a good thing? What does anybody think out here about this??? I have no choice but to go through with this but I was wondering if anyone else out here has had a medial branch block. Any input is greatly appreciated. -Anita[/QUOTE]

I had a nerve block done back in October... my Pain Management doctor did it to find out what nerve or whatever was causing my pain... he did the block on my S1 nerve root....it immediately sent horrible pain down my back and leg... and then after about 5 seconds it went away totally.... I was pain free for about 30 min... long enough to get out of the office and in the car and half way home... then WHAMO!!! the pain was back full force......That is how he found out that the S1 nerve (L5-S1) was causing my pain.....I have heard of this procedure you mentioned... burning the nerve endings.....My Neurologist had mentioned it... but the way I see it.... only thing they are accomplishing is they will burn the nerves and block the pain perception... but it is not curing or fixing the problem that is causing the pain.. .so I can not see that it is a good thing.....and you do have a choice... it is your choice as to what your doctors do to you... they can suggest it... but you are the one that decides if you want it done or not.... Best of Luck to you... Keep us informed..

Take Care

Last edited by TexasWildRose04; 03-03-2005 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Added information.

Old 03-03-2005, 12:37 PM   #10
    misery
    (female)

misery HB User

Hi all,As far as burning the nerve endings you should go on the pain management board there is alot of info there.But I would be very careful and research this b/c, yes it does work for some but also other nerves can pick up the pain signals and continue it even though the 1st nerves were burned.It can also only work for a very short time.It can regrow?and become worse.
    As far as prolotherapy I have also had this done.It was horriable the minute the doc shot this stuff in it created so much pain in my back and hips and down my legs.I cryed it hurt so bad.I never do that either.After I stood up it felt like someone had my spine in a vise I couldn't put any weight onit and my hubby almost carried me out of there.I'm not saying this would happen to you,but you must look carefully at what docs want you to do.My reaction was so bad tha my pm said he would never do this to me again.
    The post I'm thinking of is by Shoreline he's very knowlegeable and he had some very good info on the nerve burning procedure.I do hope this helps.Hugs Heather

Old 03-03-2005, 01:01 PM   #11
    heidi23

heidi23 HB User

[QUOTE=nascar24gordan]Thanks for responding to my si popping out, but can you please explain the procedure you are referring to? I have never heard of it. [/QUOTE]

Prolotherapy basically is where they inject irritating substances into tissue to PROMOTE inflammation. By doing that, it's supposed to basically force the body to heal itself, by tightening up muscles or tendons or ligaments, and therefore then they'll hold everything `tighter', like they did before they were injured.
    The stuff my doctor injected was a combination of glucose and alcohol, and he did it under IV sedation. I really didn't experience much pain from the procedure itself (some stiffness though, definitely, for a few hours afterward).
    But after the first session, once the inflammation started - wowie! For a week I needed hydrocodone in order to sit for long periods of time. At the time, my doctors said that was an extreme reaction, and they believed that it might be a really good sign.
    Turns out they were right. After the next two sessions (I had three sessions, based three weeks apart), my body's reaction wasn't nearly as extreme. But two weeks after my last session, I noticed a HUGE improvement in my pain in that joint.
    I haven't had significant pain in that joint since the first round of prolo (I had another round this winter to reinforce things).
    I got another, unexpected, benefit from it, in that my upper back and neck muscles no longer tighten up when I am carrying things or sitting in `bad' chairs for long periods of time. Ever since my original back injury, my muscles had been doing that - very badly - and apparently the prolo healed that problem too!

Closed Thread