It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 10 days P.O.& my leg is in horrible pain!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-23-2004, 07:24 PM   #1
    "cranky" Laurie
    (female)

"cranky" Laurie HB User
    Unhappy 10 days P.O.& my leg is in horrible pain!

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]undefined[/FONT][SIZE=2]undefined[/SIZE][COLOR=Blue]undefined
    [SIZE=2]undefined[/SIZE] Hello everyone! I tripped over this site and I am so hoping that someone in this crowd is having the same issues that I am..... Cause I just dont get it I am 10 days post -op from Lumbar Fusion surgery, Spodelosenthysis, colapsed vertebre and the repair of a herniated disc (severe nerve compression in L4 thru S1 ) Yes, I'm a mess . I had advanced stages of "Pars Defect" which were not really too much of an issue, but then on June 26 of this year (6Mo. ago), I was in a vicious car accident and was T-boned at 60 mph, directly into my hip on my divers side. Needless to say, that started everything going in a horrible direction. After 6 months of extensive physical therapy and numerous trips to the Neurologist, Orthopedics, etc., I finally submitted to Lumbar Fusion to try and repair as much as possible. The nerve compression was so intense that I could not stand for more than 10 minutes at a time with out dropping to my butt, walking for more than 10 min. was out of the question, and my right leg and foot feels like it is in a boiling pot of Oil and ready to EXPLODE! LITERALLY! So, the first day they had me on my feet (for about 10 minutes), my back was not feeling too terrible but after 3 or 4 steps, my calf, ankle and foot were in such excruciating pain, they had to carry me back to the bed and the tears just began to flow...The Surgeon said that it would calm down and that the nerve(what was salvagable of it anyway) was made "live" again as they put it, was raging, but it would stop in a few days or so. My Nerve damage was so severe pre-op, that they weren't sure how much of my feeling I would get back in my leg, toes or foot but they were confident after several EMG's that there was a good chance and I would wake up with the feeling back in my toes, etc... OK! Sure, I can feel my toes now , but the pain in my leg, calf and foot is unbearable! Worst of all, it continues to get even more intense daily and I awake in the morning in major pain and unable to walk, with yet more tears When I do get up the energy to get onto my feet, within 2 or 3 steps I am down for the count again. BTW, in lieu of all of this, I AM WALKING a short distance each day as instructed to avoid any further stiffness or complications and I am wearing a Nylon brace as well for support (being a good girl ) Of course I have called my surgeon again (today) to express my concerns and he said to back off of anything strenuous and now has added a new medication (Neurontin)to my list of things to do that may help reduce the pain and calm the nerve. I HATE NARCOTICS (make me angry, aggressive and terribly wheepy ) and they hate me as well, but now I am on Predisone, Neurontin, Percacet, Soma and Colotopin (or something, at bed time) plus my HRT ....IT'S NOT PRETTY Please excuse any irrational remarks...LOL! So, I'd love to know if anyone has any comforting words, advise, source of relief...ANYTHING for me to compare to, as I go through this recovery ? I am so worried that this IS IT with my leg and it might not come back and I will be living with this pain and imobility at the ripe old age of 43! How can my back seem better and now my leg is HISTORY? When they say it takes time for them to determine how much of the nerve was saved...How much time do they mean Thank you for letting me rant and please feel free to respond with any helpful hints for me...I'm going NUTS!
    Happy Holidays!
    "Cranky" Laurie
    FL....USA

Last edited by moderator2; 12-24-2004 at 12:08 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-23-2004, 08:22 PM   #2
    bob c.

bob c. HB User
    Re: 10 days P.O.& my leg is in horrible pain!

Hi laurie,
    you are not alone, i'm 4 months post-op, woke from surgery with severe nerve and muscle pain in foot, ankle, calf and butt. doc told me same as your doc did. i remember thinking if pain stays like this i'm done no matter how good my back feels. pain was 10 on the 1-10 scale. after 4 months it's about a 5 level, some days even better. how long till its gone? no way to tell everyone heals different. we have no choice but to wait and see so hang in there. if you have any questions feel free to ask.

happy holidays,

bob

Old 12-23-2004, 09:09 PM   #3
    "cranky" Laurie
    (female)

"cranky" Laurie HB User

Thank you Bob, for your response. I anticipate the time is lengthy and discouraging however, if this leg gets any worse...if that is even possible, I fear there is no fix. I cant even walk on it with out whimpering.
    Time will tell, but all of the what if's?
    laurie

Old 12-23-2004, 10:03 PM   #4
    Rich5067
    (male)

Rich5067 HB User

Hey Laurie,

I am 5 weeks post op today from my fusion. I also have the awful sciatic pain so I somewhat know what you are feeling. My fusion so far has made my emotions be all over the place. My physician says that total healing could take up to a year. I also have permanent nerve damage from waiting to long to have my first surgery
    I am 35 and had been a police officer for 12 years before being diagnosed with my current condition. I took medical retirement and I am currently trying to stay positive.
    I think above all you have to remain positive and be surrounded by good people, including a good doctor whom you believe in and trust!

[ [b] please carefully review the posting rules - no emails [/b] ]

Rich

Last edited by moderator2; 12-24-2004 at 05:54 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Old 12-24-2004, 12:10 AM   #5
    beebauser

beebauser HB User

that also happened to me, neurontin saved me I took it for about 6 months after surgery and now the leg pains have subsided and I no longer take it. might be something to ask about?
    good luck
    bee

Old 12-24-2004, 11:23 AM   #6
    "cranky" Laurie
    (female)

"cranky" Laurie HB User

Rich, Sounds like part of my scenerio...the Dr.s waited too long before recommending me for surgery, due to all of the imflamation and soft tissue and muscle damage. They told me that they need to calm down the aggravation before they would consider me a candidate for the surgery in the 1st place. 6 months later, of course the nerve is going to deaden! My therapists knew that my leg and compressed nerve was worsening but they still said wait! Hmmm, go figure...I wish I was a Doctor Keeping the good "karma" going, I know, I know Between the meds, pain and emotional stuff...it makes it very difficult to stay positive. Hope Neurontin helps! This is way more than I had expected and I am a fighter! DARN IT! Thanks

Old 12-25-2004, 03:16 PM   #7
    "cranky" Laurie
    (female)

"cranky" Laurie HB User
    Question Re: 10 days P.O.& my leg is in horrible pain!

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]undefined[/FONT][SIZE=2]undefined[/SIZE][COLOR=Sienna]undefined[/COLOR] Hello again, and thanks for making me realize that this is not so uncommon....I guess ...However, Im not sure about menuevering around this "thread" thing...It appears on the left side of my post...you see an envelope with a lock on it. Hmmm? Does this mean I am not getting responses or able to receive them? Am I not activated? ...LOL (hardly. Once I log in, where am I to access any responses I get? All i seem to be able to find is the list of the few that have responded to me via the thread but when it says I have a new response, I cant get there? Im not the brightest color in the box....but this should be EZ...LOL BTW, after 4 days of beginning the Neurontin (in addition to everything else) I am still not getting an ounce of relief from my thigh, calf and ankle pain...I began using my Tens Unit (on my thigh, leg, etc) for temp. relief, but it's just that...TEMPORARY As soon as I remove it, the sensation is 10 fold! Sorry to sound so ditzy

Old 12-25-2004, 03:55 PM   #8
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

I am just about ten days po as well and have new pain down my left leg as well. I am hoping it is related to the muscles being tight and nerves healing. I haven't worried about it too much yet, but will keep an eye on it. My abdominal incision is on the left side too, so I wonder if the pain is a bunch of things. I will give myself a month or so and some therapy, if it doesn't go away then I will try something new. Just remember to give your body time to heal, even though it sucks in the meantime!

Old 12-25-2004, 05:31 PM   #9
    Sue
    (female)

Sue HB User

Hi:

I had a microdiscectomy L5-S1 in March, 2001. Five days after surgery, my leg was in pain and on FIRE. Felt swollen also, but wasn't.

This was all due to inflammation after the surgery. My nuerosurgeon put me on the 6-day steriod pack. Methylprednisone. Strong shot of steroid pills to reduce the inflammation. After 3 days of taking the pills, I was 95% better. I couldn't believe how much better I felt after just 3 days.

Ask your doc about the steroid pack.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
    Sue

Old 12-25-2004, 06:47 PM   #10
    "cranky" Laurie
    (female)

"cranky" Laurie HB User

Thanks Sue, immediately following my discharge from the Hospital my Surgeon put me on a short term, harsh dosage of Predisone which I have been taking for one day shy of a week now. My last day of that pleasure is monday, thank goodness, but it has not even touched the pain level I am experiencing....On a scale of 1 to 10, Hmmmm, I'm thinking 20 !!!!! 8:0 Moving that leg or ankle, even ever so slightly (especially in the mornings is unbearable! We're not just talking discomfort, annoyance or inconvenience here. I am talking about the most intense pain (including child birth...and I have 3...hehe) I have ever experienced! I am hoping that the Neurontin will DO SOMETHING soon. Otherwise, I think it may be time to expidite my next visit with my surgeon. (1/4/05). How do they know if you are developing a blot clot or blockage somewhere? And, if this nerve is completely dead (as they seem to suspect, from being so mangled and compressed for so long)), then what? Has anyone had problems with wicked dreams from the pain meds.? Jeez, wheres a group session when ya need one...LOL

Old 12-25-2004, 09:16 PM   #11
    Rich5067
    (male)

Rich5067 HB User

[QUOTE="cranky" Laurie] Has anyone had problems with wicked dreams from the pain meds.? Jeez, wheres a group session when ya need one...LOL[/QUOTE]

I have the same dreams!!! I mentioned them to my Ortho Doc and he said it was common????

Old 12-26-2004, 10:45 AM   #12
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

I have been having movie dreams, you know, they are so real, they seem like movies? I had four vampire ones in a row. I was beginning to think I was being sent a message to write a screenplay!

Old 12-26-2004, 12:21 PM   #13
    "cranky" Laurie
    (female)

"cranky" Laurie HB User

LOL, if they were "Comedies", thats not sooo bad and HEY! Are you a writer? Maybe it's time for a screen play! Unfortunately, for me the dreams are vicious and horrible (about the safety of my hubbie, kids, etc.) and when I awake, I have to determine whether or not they were real .....after I stop sweating and hyper-ventilating, that is... whew! I know it's all the medication they have me on but never the less, they seem endless! Wish I knew which of these meds are the culperate, I'd toss it if I could! How long should i expect to still need to be taking pain meds? My surgery was 12/14/04...it's not even my back that is in so much pain after the Fusion & discectomy....it's the DARN LEG and the NERVE thats trying to kill me!!! *tired yawn*! Talk about a challenge.

Old 12-26-2004, 12:23 PM   #14
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

I always have real dreams though, hubby says frued would have a field day with my subconscious.
    My left leg pain seems to be getting worse. I haven't addressed it with my dr, I wonder why? It is nothing like what I had before surgery. Completely different.

Old 12-26-2004, 12:28 PM   #15
    "cranky" Laurie
    (female)

"cranky" Laurie HB User

Common for who??? And for how long??? It's almost like sleep deprevation is a better alternative. Not that the dreams don't deprive you a sound sleep (Zzzzzz) anyway!
    Your body needs the sleep so desparately to heal, so why do they give you drugs that do that to you in the 1st place??

Closed Thread