It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Lost luggage and no pain meds!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-26-2004, 06:18 PM   #1
    Jessie1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jessie1 HB User
    Lost luggage and no pain meds!

I hope everyone had a terrific holiday with less pain! Mine was nice, but now I'm back to reality and need to vent a little bit!

I flew from Michigan to NY to see my family for Christmas on the 24th, and returned today (the 26th). In hindsight (which of course is always 20/20!) flying around the holidays with a back injury wasn't the smartest thing I've ever done! Anyway, I flew to NY on Friday, and my flights were delayed about 3 hours because of backup from the storms in Cincinnati (where I was connecting). So I ended up sitting for a long time, but I did try to walk around quite a bit. Then I finally got to NY, and the airline lost my luggage. Seemed to be a popular occurance, since half the other people on my flight ended up without theirs too. They told me that I might have it the next day, on Christmas. I got to spend Christmas with my family, which was nice, and went back to the airport this morning (still with no luggage) to fly back home to Michigan. My flights were cancelled because Comair (Delta) cancelled all their flights for the weekend. So I got rebooked on another airline and actually got home earlier than I would have if I had flown Delta. I still have no luggage, and probably won't get it until Monday or Tuesday. Unfortunately for me, I did something dumb and packed my pain meds in my luggage. GRRRR!!! I had no idea how much pain they were controlling. I've been taking them regularly, since the pain is pretty intense even when on the pain meds. Oh my goodness. Think about the pain you experience during a discogram, and then multiply it by 5 and think about having that constantly. That's what I'm experiencing now. Wow, am I glad I'm having my fusion soon! I don't know what to do, don't think my doc will prescribe me more meds since I just got them refilled last week. Hopefully I'll get them tomorrow! For now I'm using ice and ibuprofen, but can't use that for much longer since I'm supposed to stop taking that 7 days before the fusion. Does anybody have any ideas?

Thanks for listening, I know this was long!

Jessie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-26-2004, 06:41 PM   #2
    CocoandChase
    (female)

CocoandChase HB User
    Re: Lost luggage and no pain meds!

Hi Jessie,

I know you and I both will be better just as soon as we get that fusion, I need a 3 level L3 to S1. I hope you had a good Christmas even while in pain, and I know that it's hard to live no matter what the day. I don't know what to tell you other than ice and ibuprofen. I know most doctors will not give more meds. Let this be a wake up call for all of us to carry medications with us at all times. My best to you Jessie, keep your chin up and I'll pray for you. Good luck with your fusion I know you'll be feeling better soon!

Old 12-26-2004, 07:48 PM   #3
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

ah hun, that sucks, so sorry! Heck, I take my pain meds with me on the plane cause I need them just to fly, so I never have to worry about that. I think if you don't get your luggage tomorrow, call your dr and see if they will give you enough for like a week, he might. You never know until you ask, and I am sure that he is aware of the airport crisis with luggage that went on this holiday, so it is not like you'd really be making it up. I hope you get your meds sooN!

Old 12-27-2004, 06:09 AM   #4
    Jessie1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jessie1 HB User

Thanks Coco and Mel! Coco, good luck with your fusion. When are you having it done?

Mel, I need my pain meds when I fly too, but I took them right before I got to the airport and it was just going to be 2 short flights. So that's why I didn't bring them with me. They wouldn't fit in my purse and I didn't want to have to drag a carry-on with me. Oh well, I guess I've learned my lesson about stuff like that!

Thanks again guys!

Old 12-27-2004, 09:19 AM   #5
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Jessie:

Wasn't it hard to sit in those cramped up seats with a messed up back? Your doctor may question this decision.

Old 12-27-2004, 10:14 AM   #6
    mel1977
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

mel1977 HB User

I've never had a dr question my decision to fly. I always have to call and request pain meds for flying in general, and no questions asked. I think it is up to us whether or not we feel we can handle it or not. Now, soon after a surgery, then yeah. Hence why I am not flying for new years, no matter how much pain meds I have.

Old 12-27-2004, 04:10 PM   #7
    Jessie1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jessie1 HB User

Betty, yes it was really hard to sit in those plane seats with a messed up back. My doctor knew I was flying back to NY to see my family for the holidays and before surgery. He wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea, but said that it was better now than after the surgery. He won't be wanting me to do anything to screw up his work post-op! Besides, like Mel said it's really up to us and I don't really need or ask for my doctor's permission.

Old 12-27-2004, 06:34 PM   #8
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Jessie, sorry if I came off wrong. My back hurts just looking at the word airplane. I remember those seats when I went back to the south for a visit. It is like squishing you into a tuna can and then closing the top on ya. You are a braver man than I am.

Take care,

Old 12-27-2004, 06:58 PM   #9
    Jessie1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Jessie1 HB User

Betty, I'm sorry if I sounded snippy- you didn't come off wrong, I was just a little crabby because I'm hurting so much right now! I apologize! That's a great analogy with the tuna can- I felt more like a sardine though! Hope you feel better soon!

Old 12-27-2004, 10:33 PM   #10
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

No problem, I use tuna can because that is what we call my husband's small car. I refuse to ride in it

Old 12-28-2004, 05:03 AM   #11
    Rhonni
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Rhonni HB User

I flew shortly after my fusion. The only problem I had was the darn kid behind me kicking my seat from Ft Meyers to Dallas. (And then the flight attendent had the nerve to ask me to lower my shade because the sun was in his eyes.)

I didn't find the seat that bad on the airplane because it had me in the right angle position I needed to be in... and I grabbed about 4 pillows as I walked down the aisle (because people needing assistance got to board first).

I arranged for a wheel chair to meet me at the ticket counter and wheel me to my gate when I got there; and then a wheelchair to meet me at the gate to take me to the people waiting for me when I landed. Worked out great. Walking through the airport would have killed me more than the airplane seat.

One thing is for sure.. I would never pack all of my meds into my checked luggage. They even have signs telling you not to do that. If you don't have room, pack a few in your purse to get you by and put the rest in the luggage. In our condition, the meds are like diamonds or hundred dollar bills... and we sure wouldn't put THOSE in our luggage. HA

Closed Thread