It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Lumbar spine injury and tailbone pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2005, 04:41 PM   #1
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User
    Lumbar spine injury and tailbone pain

I recently hurt my L5 lumbar spine disc. My doctor called it a disc protrusion. I have been through extreme pain the last few weeks because of it. I am getting a lot better. I notice that it seems like my tail bone is sticking out and when I sit in the tub it feels like I am sitting on a bump that was not there before and it hurts. I have to lay on one side or the other. When my doctor pointed to where my lumbar spine injury was she pointed to a way higher spot then where it is sensitive now. I know that L5 is the bottom lumbar disc but not as low as the tailbone. Am I wrong? Does a L5 located injury cause pain in the tailbone region?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2005, 07:22 PM   #2
    tammys
    (female)

tammys HB User
    Re: Lumbar spine injury and tailbone pain

Kari, I don't know about the others here, but my back problems are at L5 and more and more I am feeling pain in my tailbone region. The way I described it to my mother was that it feels like I have someone driving a 2x4 into my tailbone. The pressure is horrible. The pain is worse than any I have had. I have found that when I am taking a sit down bath that it helps a little to fold a towel and lay it in the bottom of the tub and sit on it. It still is uncomfortable, but takes some of the pain away. Good luck!! And Keep Smiling!!!

Tammy

Old 02-20-2005, 07:44 PM   #3
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

Thanks I will try laying on a towel folded up in the tub. I have minimal pain there but I mostly notice it when I lay in the tub. I cannot lay on it in there at all. It hurts sometimes when I walk but not every day. I don't get that part. One day it will really hurt by my tailbone and then another day it doesn't hurt at all except for the tub thing.

Old 02-21-2005, 09:00 AM   #4
    kksgirls

kksgirls HB User

Kari ~

The pain that 'comes and goes' c/b due to inflammation. On days the inflammation is increased, the pain goes up as well.

I have an L4-L5 bulge that compresses the L5 nerve root. I Also have a displaced tailbone. When the tailbone pain kicks in, it feels like somebody stabbed me right there w/ a butcher knife. Most times, it's a dull ache. But, the disc pain is by far more constant, and ranges from stabbing to dull-aching.

Also, have you considered that what you're feeling in the tailbone area c/b 'referred' pain? Just a thought.

Has your doc suggested epidural steroid injections? I know I had a caudal injection, and that helped Tremendously w/ the tailbone pain. Just a thought.

Good luck!

kk

Old 02-21-2005, 09:39 AM   #5
    Kari7171
    (female)

Kari7171 HB User

Yes my doctor suggested that I get a epidural steroid injection. I opted not to do that since I did not know anything about them at that time. That was a week ago. That is something I am considering. If I still have pain like this in a month from now I will probably have one. It seems to get better all of the time though so I am hoping my tailbone pain is gone by then. I did consider that it might be referred pain but I can actually feel a bump with my fingers so something has to be all inflamed or swollen. The sensitive bump is really low right on my tailbone pretty much. My disc damage is up quite a bit higher then that. Maybe the tendons or muscles by my tailbone got ripped really bad and need more time to heal.

Old 02-21-2005, 06:19 PM   #6
    Rampage
    Veteran
    (female)

Rampage HB User

Kari7171 -

I don't know if the injection will help, but I can tell you how it feels! IT HURTS!!!!

Although, after my discogram, the epidural wasn't as painful. But, if you've has steroid injections in your muscle or joint, I think this will be more painful.

You have to determine if it's worth it, I guess. If I can't walk without it, it's generally worth it. Just keep in mind that this is part of the steroid rule: more than 3-4 a year or there's muscle degeneration and bone loss.

That's why I tend to pick my battles on this kind of stuff....good luck, dear.
    IDET '04
    Laminectomy '06
    Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
    Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Last edited by Rampage; 02-21-2005 at 06:20 PM.

Closed Thread