It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Ultracet - Good or Bad?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-22-2005, 09:59 AM   #1
    lori j
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lori j HB User
    Ultracet - Good or Bad?

Who has been on ultracet & how addictive is it over a period of several months?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2005, 11:05 AM   #2
    heidi23

heidi23 HB User
    Re: Ultracet - Good or Bad?

[QUOTE=lori j]Who has been on ultracet & how addictive is it over a period of several months?[/QUOTE]

I don't think it's addictive at all. I've been on it for 21//2 years, and thank god my doctor suggested it. It kills pain while not making me `high', like hydrocodone, etc., do. It also seems to kill the deeper pain for me that hydrocodone doesn't seem to address as well.
    I haven't had any side effects from ultracet, although someone I know took it after a hip replacement, and she said it did make her sleepy, so it may have different effects on different people.

The big drawback to Ultracet is the price. Man, it's expensive!!

Old 02-22-2005, 11:35 AM   #3
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Ultraset is a synthetic opiate, so yes, it is addictive. My doctor warned me when he prescribed them.

Whether or not it gets you high all depends on how meds effect you and they all effect us differently.

If I take three or more at a time, I am flying high. I still am in pain, but wired to the max and high. (Opiates tend to do that to me.)

I would be concerned if you were lead to believe that they are not addictive.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:58 AM   #4
    Quietcook
    Inactive
    (female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 03:58 PM.

Old 02-22-2005, 12:46 PM   #5
    Valley
    (female)

Valley HB User
    Unhappy Re: Ultracet - Good or Bad?

Hi, Ultracet didn't do a thing for me. No pain relief, no buzz, nothing. Valley

Old 02-22-2005, 12:46 PM   #6
    TexasWildRose04
    Veteran
    (female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

Ultracet did nothing for my pain... didn't even touch it.... it didnt even help menstral cramps when I had them...Neurontin was one that set off my migraines... I had had several meds affect me that way....My body got used to the vicodin.. now I am on Methadone... which according to my PM doc is a even more strongly managed narcotic....then vicodin.... but I think I am getting used to the Methadone too... because its doesnt seem to be doing anything for me now... have an appointment with PM doc friday will talk to her about it then....

TaKe Care All

Old 02-22-2005, 12:58 PM   #7
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Aren't the Ultrams and the Ultrasets the same as the "dans" and the "cets"? I understood that the Ultraset contained Tylenol and the Ultram the equivelent of Motrin. I may be wrong, though.

Both are highly addictive. You can find info on people trying to get off of both of them.

But, addiction is better than pain, right?

Old 02-22-2005, 01:06 PM   #8
    Better Late
    (female)

Better Late HB User

HI,
    I've been on Ultracet since November and it did help a little at first, but does nothing now. I have even stopped taking it for a few weeks, then tried again with no relief.
    I asked my surgeon's ofc. for something more effective and they gave me Tylenol #3.
    The only time I get any relief at all is if I take one of each with a Zanaflex. I only do that at night so I can get just a little sleep. I hope that's not dangerous, but I have to have SOME relief!!! The Hydrocodone made me high, itch, and hallucinate but didn't completely knock out the pain either.

Old 02-22-2005, 01:14 PM   #9
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

When getting a prescription for Hydro also ask for Phenegran. It helps with the itching.

Old 02-22-2005, 02:04 PM   #10
    ktshobe

ktshobe HB User

[QUOTE=injured betty]When getting a prescription for Hydro also ask for Phenegran. It helps with the itching.[/QUOTE]

Interesting...I noticed that when I take Vicodin or Percocet I start to itch all over! Sometimes when I take Ultram as well. I wonder what causes it?

This thread has reaffirmed my conclusion that pain meds affect us all differently, and that we have probably all tried every single one available with different results. The goal is to find the doc who isn't afraid to try them, if that's what you need. I look forward to the day for a pain med that our body doesn't sensitize to!

-Katie

Old 02-22-2005, 03:47 PM   #11
    heidi23

heidi23 HB User

Don't worry, Betty, my doctors watch what I'm taking, and have warned me about what to watch out for. The only thing for me with Ultracet is to watch out for the amount of Tylenol I take per day. Wow that is funny how different drugs can affect people so differently!

For those with itching, you can take Benadryl or another antihistimine. (I've had some itching with IV painkillers). I've taken Phenergan for nausea, but it makes me really sleepy.

Old 02-22-2005, 04:08 PM   #12
    Quietcook
    Inactive
    (female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 03:59 PM.

Old 02-22-2005, 04:17 PM   #13
    TexasWildRose04
    Veteran
    (female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=Better Late]HI,
    I've been on Ultracet since November and it did help a little at first, but does nothing now. I have even stopped taking it for a few weeks, then tried again with no relief.
    I asked my surgeon's ofc. for something more effective and they gave me Tylenol #3.
    The only time I get any relief at all is if I take one of each with a Zanaflex. I only do that at night so I can get just a little sleep. I hope that's not dangerous, but I have to have SOME relief!!! The Hydrocodone made me high, itch, and hallucinate but didn't completely knock out the pain either.[/QUOTE]

I was perscribed Methadone, and Zanaflex.... I am supposed to take the Methadone one of the morning and one at night with 2- Zanaflex, my pain management doc told me that would help me sleep better.. at first it sure did.. I could feel when it was starting to kick in, I would take then about 30 min before I was ready to go to bed, I would get like I was really drunk, my words would start to slur if I talked, and then I would fall asleep out cold... and definately got a good night sleep... but now I think my body is getting used to it because, It doesn't do anything, I have no reaction to it and I am back to not sleeping, waking up in pain... you name it...The methadone by its self doesn't even do anything for my pain during the day anymore either... But as for your concern as to whether it is ok to take Zanaflex with your pain med... according to my doctor it is fine....Might want to call your doc and double check about taking it with the Tylenol 3 for sure.....Good Luck.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:40 PM   #14
    Rampage
    Veteran
    (female)

Rampage HB User

Hi, All!

I've been taking Ultracet for 2 years and it's worked really well. Although there's always an addiction potential with the meds applicable to our problem, Ultracet is a non-narcotic painkiller. When my ortho was recommending painkillers, I initially said no. I'd taken Tylenol #3 for only 2 months and had 5 days of withdrawals!!!! WOOF!

So, when I told them I didn't want narcotics, they recommended Ultracet. So far, so good. There is the Acetamenophen issue, and the withdrawal symptom I've had was just headaches. So, I just make sure I'm careful and avoid OTC stuff as much as possible.

AND DON'T FORGET - PRETTY MUCH EVERY MED HAS A TOLERANCE POTENTIAL, SO THAT YOU CAN'T AVOID!

Good luck, and I hope it works for you.
    IDET '04
    Laminectomy '06
    Fusion (BMP) L4-5 '11
    Anterior Fusion (BMP) L3-S1 '13

Last edited by Rampage; 02-22-2005 at 06:43 PM.

Old 02-22-2005, 06:49 PM   #15
    tammys
    (female)

tammys HB User

The doctor that I have been using for PM has been alternating me from one meds to another. One month I get Ultracet/Zanaflex the next month I get Lortab/Robaxin and then the next I get Tylox/flexeril. I tend to take more of the ultracet than I do with the lortab and tylox. The doctor does this to keep me from becoming dependant on just one particular drug. Also I change meds about the time that my body starts getting used to one. Just a thought for the ones that don't want to become addicted. Someone earlier said that it is better to be addicted than to be in pain. and I agree to a point, but I am not taking a chance. I can't imagine what the shakes would do to my back pain. Good Luck to everyone!!! Keep Smiling!!!

Tammy

Closed Thread