It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Cervical Spine MRI Results, Input Please??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-02-2005, 10:04 AM   #1
    greenacres
    (female)

greenacres HB Usergreenacres HB Usergreenacres HB User
    Cervical Spine MRI Results, Input Please??

Sagittal cervical vertebral alignment is normal, and the bodies are of normal height and marrow signal. Disk spaces are generally well maintained, although there is some slight loss of disk signals at 3-4, 4-5, 5-6 interspaces. Very mild ventral extradural impressions are seen at 4-5 and 5-6 as well. The cord and craniocervical junction are all normal in appearance.

Axial images show normal spinal canal and thecal sac, as well as normal cord throughout. Mild concentric disk bulging is evident at C4-5 and C5-6. No direct neural encroachment is seen.

There is evidence of mild or moderate bony foraminal stenosis on the left at C4-5 and 5-6. Direct neural impingement cannot be clearly confirmed here.

Impression: Minimal discogenic degenerative changes are seen at C4-5 and C5-6 with no significant central stenosis. Mild or moderate bony left foraminal stenosis is seen at these levels.

What does all this mean? yes, I know I have arthritis in the cervical as well as the thoracic and lumbar spine. But stenosis of the foramina? Wouldn't that explain my numbness and tingling of arms/hands on a regular basis? Also pin in my L arm too. My doc said my MRI results of my cervical spine were "unremarkable"???? What? I see things wrong here, don't you? Please give me some advice. THANKS
    Shall I seek a second opinion?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2005, 12:55 PM   #2
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User
    Re: Cervical Spine MRI Results, Input Please??

Ask for an EMG

Old 03-02-2005, 08:26 PM   #3
    PNo
    Inactive
    (female)

PNo HB User

good news! you don't have central canal involvement. Foraminal stenosis is similar to spinal stenosis but iit primarily affects the foramen. In our spines nerve roots have enough room to exit through the foramen. Issues like age and disease can affect the foramen and compress nerves. PT might help you since minimal disc involvement.

One of my problems was with C5-6 narrowing of foramin (stenosis), I had some numbness, sensations of burning, horrible pain, and stabbing in my arm and shoulder. I was really sick, tried all the conservative measures, ended up having acdf c4-5 and c5-6.

Your doc knows best, I follow the practice of always getting 2nd opinions on important things.

Old 03-03-2005, 09:20 AM   #4
    StillInPain
    (female)

StillInPain HB User

Greenacres,

I would get a second opinion. I would also get an EMG if you have not had one yet. The tingling and numbness of the arms/hands is maybe related to some nerve impingement that will not show up on an MRI.

I say this because I followed one Dr's program from 2002-2004 for C4, C5, C6, C7 only to get worse. After a second and third opinion, I found out that Dr number one, did not consider that my faucets could be pinching my nerves and thus causing me horrible shoulder pain, arm/hand numbness, loss of strength and migraines. I went to a neurosurgeon and had an EMG only to find out I have nerve damage.

I always tell everyone, when your body keeps telling you it's in pain, keep getting opinions until someone will actually find out the problem before it becomes a permanent one.

Closed Thread