It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Degenerative Discs & Pain Management

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-23-2005, 03:40 PM   #16
    heartlandguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

heartlandguy HB User
    Re: Degenerative Discs & Pain Management

Wow! I got a lump in my throat as I read your post. Your other posts never gave any indication that you thought your injury could be this bad. Did the doctor describe how the nerves were injured?

Itís no wonder you are scared. If just reaching for a towel could cause nerve damage, you have to wonder whatís safeÖ I wish there was some way I could help you now, Dorothy. You can be sure you are in my prayers, my dear friend.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2005, 04:49 PM   #17
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

[QUOTE=heartlandguy]Wow! I got a lump in my throat as I read your post. Your other posts never gave any indication that you thought your injury could be this bad. Did the doctor describe how the nerves were injured?

Itís no wonder you are scared. If just reaching for a towel could cause nerve damage, you have to wonder whatís safeÖ I wish there was some way I could help you now, Dorothy. You can be sure you are in my prayers, my dear friend. [/QUOTE]

Heartland....thanks for your concern and love. Yeah, Goody is scared because, like you, I didn't think it was quite this bad. I am lucky I went in when I did....I actually almost cancelled my appointment. I was actually so upset that I didn't even ask about how the nerve got damaged. apparently from what I know it must be from the inflammation resting on the nerve. He is putting me on a stronger antiinflammatory med to take the pressure off the nerve. The damage is thankfully irreversible so long as we get the inflammation down. So that's why I need to take it easy this week and rest as much as possible so as not to increase the inflammation. I actually drove myself and felt better....I can't believe how severe this all was. I knew it was worse than other times.....but I was not even thinking it was this bad. One thing that I do know is that nerves regenerate so long as there is not permanent damage.....so, Goody needs to take this pretty seriously until next week and then we'll take it from there. I was actually in tears....it was that scarey.

Heartland, you needn't worry about you sustaining nerve damage...Goody has had degenerative discs for over 18 years...since I was 26, and I've been lucky that it hasn't gotten bad before this. My discs have been loosing the cushioning between them over that time to the point that bone is on bone and causing inflammation. Grabbing the towel just was a breaking point< I guess.

I'm just surprised by this all....because I actually felt good enough to go to the movies yesterday....although when I climbed a few of the platform type stairs I hurt.

Oh, Heartland.....it just stinks, but I am scared and yet not at the same time because I know the meds were starting to kick in. I just have to make sure that I don"t overdo it this week is all. The pharmacy doesn't have my meds until tomorrow.....so I"ll continue the celebrex and I hate the thought of the percocet because it spaces me out but he made me promise to at least take it at night and during the day to rest.

Thanks for your prayers....now you better not deviate from Job One....I expect you to continue your efforts there and not worry about Goody. Knowing that you are doing your job will be good.....I guess I will have more time for posting since it will be the only thing that will keep this girl still Youmust have noticed the severe increase in my posts since my back went out....it's the only thing keeping me sane ....Goody

Old 03-24-2005, 06:19 AM   #18
    heartlandguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

heartlandguy HB User

[QUOTE=goody2shuz]I expect you to ... not worry about Goody.[/QUOTE]I can't promise you that. Forever friendships don't work that way.

How are you this morning? I assume you took the percocet early last evening since you didn't post after early evening. I'm surprised you didn't post any of your family's thoughts. Are they trying to put a positive spin on this?

Take care of yourself! -Heartland

Old 03-24-2005, 08:13 AM   #19
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Heartland ~ I was having my own pity party this morning and had a long post and hit submit to only get the "maintenance" bulletin and well as you guessed, it got lost. Meanwhile MBF called and the venting I would have placed on you & most likely would have had you worrying unnecessarily was directed towards her which was divinely inspired......since I didn't need the guilt of taking you away from Job One

Took the percocet...was up at 2am worried about K. and how she had taken advantage and manipulated Tom & I....check in at the parenting board later & perhaps you can help me on that one.

So...today I realize I have to rid myself of the guilt I feel in terms of feeling as if I am a broken wife/mother which often has me doing things that I shouldn't and most likely landed me in the position I am now in. But it only has me more determined to do what I have to do to get my back healed. So that's where I am at.

Guess what's playing...."Wind Beneath My Wings".....my youngest daughter made me a CD of my favorite songs to relax mommy. And it figures that song is resonating in the backgound as I post. Thanks for serving in that capacity, my dear friend...."thank you, thank you ...thank God for you the wind beneath my wings." .......Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 03-24-2005 at 08:14 AM.

Old 03-24-2005, 03:29 PM   #20
    genster

genster HB User

Oh, Goody, I didn't realise your back was so bad. My sister has DDD, she suffers with terrible pain also. I hope you are feeling better, and that the doctor can help. My sis found that going to physio & a chiropractor helped her somewhat - her problem is in her lumbar spine. She is about the same age as you (I was wondering how old you are!), and has had her trouble for about the same length of time. Like you, she is reluctant to go the surgury route, for much the same reasons. You have my sympathies with this one.

Old 03-24-2005, 06:46 PM   #21
    Ruth6:11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Hi Goody,
    My mom has DDD (and she is a retired R.N. by the way).
    She has great trouble sitting for periods of time (driving, flying, etc) and has some nerve problems/numbness in her right leg.

She would be the first one to tell you to exercise (specific back exercises), stay as active as you can, and get any of the weight down that you can.
    They just switched her to piroxicam (feldene) and so far so good - she's very susceptible to side effects.

One of the hardest things she says is just to know that her mobility is under attack. She has always been more active than all of her 4 kids put together. Aerobics, line dance, etc!
    I don't know if this is a concern for you on an emotional level or not - whether you've been afftected emotionally because of the DDD...
    I do know it doesn't stop you from caring about your friends..

Old 03-24-2005, 07:23 PM   #22
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Hi, Ruth Thanks for checking in. My history is that I developed DDD at the age of 27....went for PT and had an exercise regimen. However, about 7 years ago, I developed osteoarthritis if the back and both knees and ankles as well. So, my exercise regimen became very limited. Been on celebrex, doctor just switched me to feldene and chlorzoxazone a muscle relaxant. I also did not tolerate flexoril and naprosyn....allergic to both. So we're doing this for now. In the past I would walk 2 miles a day but with my osteo in my knees it became difficult. I am hoping with these meds I can get back to that.

I must say that emotionally it was difficult to leave a career that I loved in the sense of helping others. I got involved with taking on 2 Religion classes for the past 11 years getting both my daughter's through all their sacraments the youngest who will be receiving her Confirmation in the fall. I am also an assistant leader in Girl Scouts but it is here that I have finally found my passion and purpose in life most met thus filing the void that was there since leaving the nursing career.

I must admit the hardest thing for me has been in accepting the things I cannot change in terms of what I can & cannot do. In fact, I am most probably in the state I am in from doing some of the things I shouldn't, sometimes feeling the guilt that I am a wife/mother with limitations. I am often the spectator when I want to be a participant but know that if I were I would cause more injury to my back. And so...that is my greatest feat...to accept the things I cannot change and to have the wisdom to know the difference

Thanks, Ruth for your prayers & encouragement. I hope your BIL is comfortable....there is wonderful support on the "Bowel Board" where many meet on my thread that have Colon cancer. In fact there is a wonderful lady from Australia that was just diagnosed...you may find comfort there. That's where Goody started and I am proud to have a 4 star rating. So come for a visit....and know that you & your family are in Goody's prayers.......Goody

Old 03-25-2005, 02:22 AM   #23
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Can you get in to see a physiatrist?
    fly

Old 03-25-2005, 05:15 AM   #24
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

[QUOTE=flyonthewall]Can you get in to see a physiatrist?
    fly[/QUOTE]

Flyonthewall....Right now my physician does not want me doing anything but allowing the meds to reduce the inflammation and when I see him next week he intends to set me up with some physical therapy program, so long as there is improvement in the nerve involvement. He feels that any physical stress on my back will only worsten things right now. As soon as the inflammation is resolved he plans on running some more tests and setting up some PT....I assume a physiatrist is involved there. Is it the same as a Physical Therapist? Thanks for the suggestion....I will look into that next week with my doctor.

Genster.....thanks for your post. Today I started the new antiinflammatory, Feldene. Had to wait 24 hours since I couldn't take it with celebrex. I will be on the muscle relaxant for a day this morning and so far so good. Percocet I take at night to help me sleep. The meds do have me in a relaxed state and the pain is pretty much under control. Today Tom is taking us out east towards the Hamptons to our summerhome on the water....somehow being by the water relaxes Goody. It's our retirement/dreamhome that we invested in a year ago.....the water is where life started for Tom & I. Just being by it makes me feel 100% better.

All.....thanks for your posts & support. I really appreciate it. A very Happy Easter to all from Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 03-25-2005 at 05:16 AM.

Old 03-25-2005, 06:42 AM   #25
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

A physiatrist is physical medicine and rehab. They also do pain management. I had a very negative experience with a neurosurgeon. He said I wasn't in enough pain and surgery would just make me worse. The orthopedic spine surgeon, with a spine fellowship, went in and fixed me.
    fly

Old 03-25-2005, 07:00 AM   #26
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Fly....Do you have DDD??? The problem is that I have osteoarthritis as well. My pain threshhold is remarkedly high....pushed both my girls out with not so much as tylenol for pain. Have had kidney stones, gallstones, & surgery with minimal pain management so when Goody is in pain it is PAIN Did you have a fusion done??? If not what exactly did you have done??? Right now I agree that I need a week to simmer down and when I meet with my PMD I intend to get all necessary referrals...so perhaps a physiatrist wil be on my list. My PMD is the director of the community hospital and I am quite confident in his management of my back probelms....also knows my family well since I grew up with his son who is now in practice with him My doctor was in no mood to discuss any more treatments other than simmering the inflammation down & will discuss further options in a week. Thanks Fly for your input...Goody

Old 03-25-2005, 07:18 AM   #27
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

I had severe spinal stenosis and grade 1-2 spondylolisthesis. I had a laminectomy and was fused from L3-S1 with BMP, rods and screws. I was uncomfortable in the hospital but haven't been on any pain meds since I've been home. It has been 9 months.
    fly

Old 03-26-2005, 08:33 AM   #28
    Ruth6:11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Hi Goody, how does the Feldene seem to be doing so far? I know that you've just started it, - how many mg/day have they started you on??
    And a Happy Easter to you and your family also!

Old 03-26-2005, 09:01 AM   #29
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

[QUOTE=Ruth6:11]Hi Goody, how does the Feldene seem to be doing so far? I know that you've just started it, - how many mg/day have they started you on??
    And a Happy Easter to you and your family also!
    [/QUOTE]

Hi, Ruth Goody is in a way too relaxed mode The doctor gave me 3 meds that all warn about not operating machinery, driving, may cause drowsiness etc. so you can imagine the "relaxed" state I am in. I think he already knows my tendency to overdo things and so wanted some insurance that I wouldn't. He has me on Feldene 20mg once daily and I will be taking my 2nd dose in a few minutes. I am also on a muscle relaxant 4x/day and the Percocet for bedtime. My back is actually feeling much better...it's at the point that it is feeling better but one wrong move can bring me back to two weeks ago. So I am taking the doctor's advice and letting the meds do their thing.

I appreciate your prayers...they just had an article in Reader's Digest on new proof of how prayer works and I am a frim believer in that. I will be posting on your thread about your BIL.....Cancerdad was a frequent visitor on an old thread of mine hidden in the archives and is wonderful

My daughter just boiled the eggs for coloring later this evening....my family is pitching in and I am soooo thankful for that. We will be spending a quiet one at home....we've been invited to my Aunt's and I will see how I am feeling...right now I am so drugged up that it's probably best if I just stay home with the family. We'll see....God's blessings to you & your family, Ruth. I am sure that your Easter is going to be full of events. I will look for you on the other board....Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 03-26-2005 at 09:02 AM.

Old 03-26-2005, 10:18 AM   #30
    heartlandguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

heartlandguy HB User

Goody, I glad to hear your back feels better... that is, if you can feel it at all due to your drug regimen. I was thinking big yesterday and hoped that everyone praying for you on Good Friday would cause Him to work a miracle for you, but He must have other plans. I wonít give up on it, my friend.

Be careful with the egg dye tonight; oh unsteady one, unless you want Tom to buy you new carpet.

[SIZE=1][I]Olí McGoody dyed some eggs,
    Ei-I-Ei-I-O
    And on her floor she splashed some dye
    Ei-I-Ei-I-O
    With some splashed pink here
    And some splashed pink there,
    Here some pink, there some pink,
    Everywhere is splashed pink,
    Olí McGoody dyed some eggs,
    Ei-I-Ei-I-OOOO[/I][/SIZE]

Have a wonderful weekend with the family. -Heartland

Closed Thread