It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Degenerative Discs & Pain Management

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-26-2005, 10:52 AM   #31
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User
    Re: Degenerative Discs & Pain Management

Thanks.....Heartland for putting a smile on Goody's face. And please don't lose faith in miracles......they do happen, only when we least expect it

Thanks for the tune....it's original and means even more because YOU put it together You're a great friend and your prayers have not gone unanswered.....thanks for them and your wonderful friendship. Have a wonderful Easter in case I don't have the opportunity to catch you here before you celebrate wiht the family. Goody's love to all the Heartlands.....Goody

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2005, 07:32 AM   #32
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

[QUOTE=heartlandguy]Goody, I glad to hear your back feels better... that is, if you can feel it at all due to your drug regimen. I was thinking big yesterday and hoped that everyone praying for you on Good Friday would cause Him to work a miracle for you, but He must have other plans. I won’t give up on it, my friend.[/QUOTE]

Heartland!!!!!! Goody is here with "Good News" You're not here but I know that it won't be long......I know so metaphysically I know my cyber sis must be near as well. Goody's back is pain free...I mean as pain free as when I was in my 20's I scared Tom when I went to touch my toes, did some jumping jacks & jumped on him!!! I'm not kidding....wow you guys are good because my miracle is here....Tom is skeptical but Goody's not!!!! He thinks it's the meds....he's telling me to slow down or I'll be crippled but Goody knows better It's so wonderful....I was even able to put my socks on this morning without one ioda of discomfort!!! I am not skeptical....I want to stop the meds but Tom won't let me....even if it is the meds....finally I found something that makes me feel young again....not like a 80 year old invalid!!!! Tears fill my eyes on this wonderful Easter morn...He is Risen & so has Goody Happy Easter everybody

Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 03-27-2005 at 07:33 AM.

Old 03-27-2005, 08:27 AM   #33
    Ruth6:11
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

He (and she!) Has Risen Indeed!
    Hallelujah!

Old 03-27-2005, 08:10 PM   #34
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Johnny: Heat is good if it is moist heat.
    i.e. hot tub, hot bath, anything that is wet

heating pads, bad. Causes more damage than good. You are right on that front.

Old 03-27-2005, 08:11 PM   #35
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

Oh, yeah, on the subject of the TENS unit, it sends signals to the brains which are sent to the same area as the pain signals. It competes for the same space and chemicals. I have seen them work miracles if it is not straight up nerve pain.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:46 PM   #36
    heartlandguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

heartlandguy HB User

[QUOTE=goody2shuz]And to all my friends here....thanks for all your prayers, Goody's not limping as much anymore [/QUOTE]Goody, I saw this 6:41PM post and it doesn't sound quite as optimistic. How are you doing, my friend?

Good morning, Goody! Please update us...

Last edited by heartlandguy; 03-28-2005 at 06:41 AM.

Old 03-28-2005, 06:48 AM   #37
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

[QUOTE=heartlandguy]Goody, I saw this 6:41PM post and it doesn't sound quite as optimistic. How are you doing, my friend?[/QUOTE]

Good Morning, Heartland & Ruth Well....the day went by wonderfully....I rose & perhaps did do a little too many jumping jacks and manuevers that had some aches setting in by early evening but still nothing like they've been. It so happened to be around the time my med was slightly overdue......I'm of the percocet (gotta start someplace) and slept well both nights I didn't take it. I managed to get out to my Aunt's for Easter which was wonderful.....it seemed like I've been cooped up forever. Tom was very protective and only wanted to stay for a few hours which quickly turned into 4......but it was wonderful.

Got up this morning with a little achiness but still able to bend freely and put my own socks on....that's a biggie for Goody....my family has had to do that for weeks for me. So....I believe my miracle is here, even if it is in the form of a pill (we will have to determine that once I see the doctor on Wednesday & he examines me & gives me further instructions). Once I am off the meds we will be able to tell....but when I woke up yesterday pain free it was a miracle in itself. Sooooo.....I am holding off on the jumping jacks and sort until I see the doctor....but I am moving around well with minimal discomfort which is a big thing. As far as optimism....Goody is full of it Perhaps the post was when I returned from my outing and before my med. Anyway.....miracles do happen and my Easter was a sure sign of it!!!!!

Johnny....thanks for your post...yes this time around I learned that it was ice that helped me out the most.....and hot showers as well. The TENS unit has helped in the past but not this time around and chiropractors will not touch my back so long as the pain radiates into both legs. Thanks for the advice, Goody does appreciate it.

Injured Betty....I got rid of the heating pad and mostly heat up a wash cloth in micro for a minute in a ziploc....works good for me in the past but like Johnny indicated, with inflammation ice is the way to go and what gave me the most relief in the beginning. Now I am off both and feeling wonderful since I started the new meds. Thanks for your advice as well.

I just feel great and am happy to be feeling the best I have since my back ever had a problem. Something's doing the thing.....while Goody would love to be off meds if it's necessary and works so well that 's a miracle in itself. But no one can describe the gift of yesterday to feel no pain when for over 17 years it has been part of everyday. Thanks for the prayers & support.

Heartland...thanks for holding my hand, I will look for you on your other thread for an update. Goody's not going anywhere today it is pouring and K. is having a boy over that supposedly is going to ask her out....eeeeeeeek Another rollercoaster ride ....Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 03-28-2005 at 07:03 AM.

Old 03-28-2005, 07:34 AM   #38
    heartlandguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

heartlandguy HB User

Goody, I’m glad you feel so wonderful and alive. However, I’m like Tom in that I want you to hold off on the jumping jacks ( that was soooo Tiggeriiiiish!!!) until [u]after[/u] your doctor can analyze the situation. I think everyone is wondering… miracle or miracle drugs?!? Either way, no one could expect the wonderful results you are experiencing and I’m truly happy for YOU!

Mrs. H took the day off so only the Lord knows how my day will go… In this case, “my day” is a misnomer.

Old 03-28-2005, 07:50 AM   #39
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

No more Jumping Jacks for now, Goody promises Hey a day off with Mrs. H.....perhaps you should bring a smile to her face and tackle that project on the homefront and reward yourselves with a special outing that way you won't have to worry about any misnomers in the day or the future

Goody is taking it easy...want the doc to see the improvements for himself. I am sure he will see it when he goes to test my reflexes and I am hoping to get out for some physical therapy so my jumping jacks can be monitored and I don't overdo things. And perhaps he'll allow me to wean myself off the meds....MBF tends to think that I should take them religiously since Goody is one that uses meds only when absolutely necessary. But I am being a good patient and taking them despite my strong inclination to take myself off of them...but I did learn that if I took myself off them too soon I would be back to square one....and we don't want to go back there Goody's come too far for that....so Heartland, I have even resorted myself to the fact that even if it [B]is[/B] the meds....it [B]is[/B] a miracle in itself because up to this point there weren't any that made me feel as good....I hope it's the feldene because the muscle relaxant is 2 pills 3x/day and what makes me spacey whereas the feldene is once daily and I don't think it makes me as sleepy....won't know until I adjust them with doctor's orders of course

Well.....I hope you enjoy your day....my regards to Mrs. H. and give her a big kiss for Goody I think she deserves it!!!!!.........Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 03-28-2005 at 07:54 AM.

Old 03-28-2005, 02:37 PM   #40
    BlessingsGalore

BlessingsGalore HB User
    Smile Re: Degenerative Discs & Pain Management

Hey Guys.......I'm a Newbie here, looking for HOPE, HELP with DDD and Facet Joint Syndrome.

I've always had bad trouble, but in November my Facet Joint went nuts.

I have been MOSTLY DISABLED.....unable to do anything much.....since then.

Pain in back, hips, pelvic, legs.....then went to PT. The exercises gave me Piriformis Syndrome. Great....can't even do exercises.

Did one round of the SHOTS of Steriods under anthesia....I said NO MORE. Didn't help much and o' the fallout of steriods.

I'm heading to a Spinal Clinic on Monday of Next week......I HOPE I'll get some help there. My RHUMIE has sorely disappointed me. I have Fibromyalgia and Lupus also. Makes it a FUN TIME around here as the FIBRO grabs anything that has imflammation around it and it feels like a lion has hold of my spine.

I only have Ultram for the pain...........been taking it for 10 years for Fibro, so it has not touched my back pain. Antiflammatory is Relafen and Ibprofen.

I do not feel like I've gotten much help at all.

Have cried a river and felt hopeless to even get help, knowing this can turn into CHRONIC PAIN.....................I'd want to die if so.

I have been blessed by your post as I read through all I could at this SITTING...........MOST OF THEM....but have got to "GIT" up from this chair now as I can't SIT too long.............you know the drill.

ANY INPUT will be accepted with thanksgiving.

Happy to find you all, sorry you all are suffering too..........

Old 03-28-2005, 03:01 PM   #41
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Hi, Blessings My goodness... you make Goody feel soooo guilty for complaining about my problems......nobody should have to live with chronic pain and I feel that you may have to keep on looking until you find a pain management doctor that will work with you until you find the right regimen to help keep your pain under control......Goody had 2-3 days of pain that made me think the way you did....that it was unbearable and had me wondering how I would get through it. To even imagine somebody having to deal with it more than that is hard for me to even imagine No....nobody should have to suffer like that and there are wonderful doctors out there that will find the right medications for you. And you shouldn't give up until you find them. I am on Feldene, an antiinflammatory which seems to be doing wonders for my DDD. And a muscle relaxant chlorzoaxazone. I found that ice works better in terms of inflammation and you may want to try that.

There is a pain management board here that may be more helpful for you. Please know that Goody is praying for you that you will find the right doctor to work alongside of you to make your quality of life better in terms of comfort and activities of daily living. There is also a board for lupus and fibromayalgia that may help with your issues there since I am unfamiliar with
    the treatment of these two disorders. Please come here anytime and I will be more than happy to offer you whatever advice you may need. And please believe in miracles...whether they come in the form of the right medication, doctor or friend with prayers to guide you along the way...they are there if you believe. Hugs & prayers.....Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 03-28-2005 at 03:02 PM.

Old 03-30-2005, 06:20 AM   #42
    heartlandguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

heartlandguy HB User

[QUOTE=goody2shuz]My brother was brought into the ER today~he lives out of state and Goody is worried & my daughter has Strep. My back is improving as a matter of fact it was pain free on Easter....a little achy today but pretty much back to normal.[/QUOTE]Goody, you've had many distractions but your friends are concerned about your condition.

Your post last night from another board was a little vague. Which normal is it... normal for your early twenties or normal for your recent years?

Old 03-30-2005, 06:55 AM   #43
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

[QUOTE=heartlandguy]Goody, you've had many distractions but your friends are concerned about your condition.

Your post last night from another board was a little vague. Which normal is it... normal for your early twenties or normal for your recent years?[/QUOTE]

Heartland ~ You are such a wonderful friend To be honest....I'm not quite sure. On Easter....I was pain free!!! Now I have the back achey feeling like my best days but better because I am able to still touch my toes and do things without the feeling that I will pull my back out and be in bed. (This is the "like in my 20's" feeling) Last night when I made that post I was overdue for my med so I am leaning towards the meds having to do with my comfort level.....I was hoping that I wouldn't need meds and in time perhaps I won't. But they are definitely making me feel better than I ever have remembered feeling. The achey feeling is not bad...my medical guess would be that there is still some inflammation to get through. I have my doctor's appointment at 11am so I will have a better idea when he examines me. You will be the first to know the results my friend....the first, that is after me

Goody is terribly worried about my brother. I am relieved that he is in the hospital where he can be closely monitored. His BP is normal when lying down, goes to 210/170 when he sits up, and bottoms out when he stands which causes him to black out. He's got a migraine type headache that won't go away....they can't medicate him until they do further testing.....it's just frustrating when I'm in NY and he's in DE. My parents are in PA and my other brother is in NC. Thank goodness for his third wife....she is a take control type person with a type A personality and Goody has no doubts if anyone can handle the medical stuff...she can, so that is what is helping me cope with not being there. I'm saving my going to him for when the field artillary has been exhausted. For now communicating over the phone is okay and my SIL is keeping us updated moment by moment. They're doing a CAT scan this morning, have run all types of blood & urine tests and have a cardiologist, neurologist, and endocrinologist all working together to figure this all out. Unfortunately there is no board here to address this problem....there's a few threads addressing the condition they are leaning towards but for the most part I am getting dead ends there. I did find some more info that I have researched and will be working on that throughout the day. My doctor is a family friend and I am going to run this all by him when I see him today. He will direct me in the right direction I am sure. Between my SIL & myself, my brother will be diagnosed shortly

So....I will be back here with more news ASAP. Until then....do not worry, my friend. And know that you are always that wind beneath my wings......Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 03-30-2005 at 07:05 AM.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:03 AM   #44
    heartlandguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

heartlandguy HB User

Thanks for the update, Goody! May I suggest that you start your own thread about your brother on the Rare Disorders board? Not only will it be more on topic, but your regular updates will continually "bump" your thread on the board where it is most likely to provide the help you need. Eventually, someone "in the know" is bound to help you there.

Please know that your friends will look for updates about your brother there.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:55 AM   #45
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Okay....Goody's back from the doctor...the report is sort of what I had expected. MBF called just before I left and when I had explained my Easter "miracle" to her & the jumping jacks & all she actually yelled at me!!! She's been on the feldene for some back problems as well and she said that it will give you a feeling of being fixed after a week of being on it but one wrong move will land you back to square one. So...perhaps the jumping jacks and tying my shoes wasn't exactly the smartest thing to do But it felt soooo good So I guess that explains the achiness and now I have to do the one thing I just hate to do and tell Tom that he was right and thank God he stopped me or Goody would be in BIG trouble.

The doctor told me basically the same thing....he examined me and I was a little discouraged when he lifted my legs and the pain increased. But...he was able to lift them much higher than before and my knees were definitely reacting to his hammer and he said my reflexes showed definite improvement. I told him about Easter and how I could put my socks on and touch my toes and he yelled at me and said that I shouldn't be doing those things because on wrong move will land me in bed. I told him about the fine tremors I had in my hands & legs.....almost nervous like and he decreased the muscle relaxant. He gave me some exercises to do....twists & turns and arching back and leaning forward slightly and will see me in a month and if I am improved he will set me up in a rehab program to increase my activity. He told me how important it is for me not to do one thing more than I should or we will be back to 2 weeks ago. I told him about my trip to Cancun & he insists that I get a wheelchair to & from the terminals He told me not to be a hero or my trip will be cancelled. So....I was a good patient and despite my sudden urge to hit the stores on the way home & do some shopping......I came straight home. I know in time I will be able to do more than I did before this episode after the rehab and working with this med.....but I guess MBF & doctor showed me that the reality is that I have a back problem and have to treat it accordingly but can have a good quality of living but with proper management. So.....I can deal with a 45 year old back with limitations when on meds....that's okay and I know the achiness I feel will subside...how stupid of Goody to have done all the things I did Easter morning.....but I just couldn't help it....after not being able to do such things without pain I just couldn't fight the urge I'm happy just knowing when I heal the damage I did, I'll be feeling the same way

I need to get an update on my brother but wanted to post my good news here. Thanks, Heartland, for the suggestion of another thread....Goody can't seem to keep up with them I know you will stay tuned...the good friend that you are ....Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 03-30-2005 at 09:59 AM.

Closed Thread