It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Degenerative Discs & Pain Management

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2005, 01:24 PM   #46
    heartlandguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

heartlandguy HB User
    Re: Degenerative Discs & Pain Management

Goody needs two lists... a To-Do list for threads and a Shouldn't-Do list for her back. [SIZE=1]I'll resist the urge to yell at you, too, silly Tigger![/SIZE] Just follow your doctor's orders!!!

Thought for the day... How will you maneuver your wheelchair around all the beer bottles in Cancun? Maybe they’ll have most of them from Spring Break picked up; would that count as a miracle?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2005, 02:47 PM   #47
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

[QUOTE=heartlandguy]Goody needs two lists... a To-Do list for threads and a Shouldn't-Do list for her back. [SIZE=1]I'll resist the urge to yell at you, too, silly Tigger![/SIZE] Just follow your doctor's orders!!!

Thought for the day... How will you maneuver your wheelchair around all the beer bottles in Cancun? Maybe they’ll have most of them from Spring Break picked up; would that count as a miracle?[/QUOTE]

You forgot one thing....Goody never works off To-Do lists or Not To-Do lists I promise to take it easy.....don't need anymore yelling at. Tom actually likes the wheelchair idea...thinks we may get VIP treatment but wishes we were going to Disney instead of Cancun. And....BTW, we are going to the southern part of Cancun...the Rivera Maya which is 45 minutes south of the party town in a remote area with cenotes(sp??) or water holes that are freshwater rivers carving out the limestone which we love to snorkel through. Goody is definitely snorkelling no matter what you or any doctor say....don't worry I am a surface snorkeler no big diving but it's my favorite thing to do besides jetskiing and snowmobiling And there will be no wheelchairs....I'll take it easy but Goody is not ready for any wheelchair Thanks, Heartland....you're great...Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 03-30-2005 at 03:14 PM.

Old 03-30-2005, 04:20 PM   #48
    heartlandguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

heartlandguy HB User

[QUOTE=goody2shuz]BTW, we are going to the southern part of Cancun...the Rivera Maya which is 45 minutes south of the party town in a remote area with cenotes or water holes that are freshwater rivers carving out the limestone which we love to snorkel through. Goody is definitely snorkelling no matter what you or any doctor say.[/QUOTE]Heartland used to swim laps for exercise. We were on a cruise that included Cozumel, which must be just across from where you will be staying. At Cozumel, the Mrs. and I snorkeled and it was great. The water should help to support your back (if you're careful ) and I guess there's nothing that I could say to stop you. I envy you two. (BTW, are the kids going?) Your trip sounds like so much fun compared to remodelling a bathroom.

Old 03-30-2005, 05:00 PM   #49
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

[QUOTE=heartlandguy]Heartland used to swim laps for exercise. We were on a cruise that included Cozumel, which must be just across from where you will be staying. At Cozumel, the Mrs. and I snorkeled and it was great. The water should help to support your back (if you're careful ) and I guess there's nothing that I could say to stop you. I envy you two. (BTW, are the kids going?) Your trip sounds like so much fun compared to remodelling a bathroom. [/QUOTE] Your soooo on target....its slightly north of Cozumel and we absolutely love the area. We were there 3 years ago and the girls would die if we returned without them. The Goody family loves the water....we can't get enough of it. Our girls have been jetskiing since they were able to stand!!! Goody and her girls swam with the dolphins 3 years ago...actually my best photo is with a dolphin Funny story on our honeymoon Goody went out everyday on the boat to snorkel but was afraid of ability to swim well without a floatation device. Tom told me that the water was so salty it would hold me up and increase my bouyancy. I still didn't trust my strength in swimming and so for 6 days I wore a safety belt. On the seventh day I wanted Tom to get an underwater shot of me snorkelling (he had taught me how to snorkel in our very own private pool) Well for the life of me I couldn't even dive down low enough to get a photo....I tried and tried and couldn't barely break the surface and so we laugh even to this day about my wasting 6 days with a safety belt on. Now....Goody snorkels bouyant as can be

Oh....Heartland...the pet project, you poor old soul. Imagination is the key....think of it as building yourself from the inside out...gutting and then putting together a masterpiece. You can do it but be careful of your back You could always use your snorkel & fins in the tub I'm sorry....I just couldn't restrain myself Please don't be mad at Goody....

My motivational factor is to be able to snorkel....so I know I will be following doctor's orders. Tom asked me if I'm bringing the laptop....I'll have to think about that.......Goody

Old 03-31-2005, 05:48 AM   #50
    BlessingsGalore

BlessingsGalore HB User
    Cool Re: Degenerative Discs & Pain Management

Glad to hear someone else is about to venture out on a VACATION while in this misery.

We have already paid for a trip to FT. Lauderdale, Ft Myers, Sarasota, Tampa, Orlando (we're going to try and MOVE where it warm for my Health).

I dunno how the flight etc. will go. Or the car travel. First thing to do is go to Wally World (walmart) and buy me a couple of pillows for the back seat I guess.

We are going to San Juan for our 20th ANNI in the fall so I have got to get better.

Am antsy bout this flight and trip next week.

I do pray all will go well for you GOODY......I wore a life vest while snorkeling in Grand Cayman and it helped a LOT. You don't have to use your back to arch or hold yourself up. I mean it helped a LOT, you might think about that.

Have a great time....and let us hear all about it.

Blessings and Heath, Nancy <>< for now

Old 03-31-2005, 07:59 AM   #51
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Blessings ~ There's nothing going to keep Goody from a trip to the Caribbean with sun and water & tropical breezes. Thankfully with the meds I am able to get around alternating sitting & standing....Goody did a stupid thing on Easter that I seem to paying for now Not bad but the pain is there & if I had left it alone I would probably be better. But from what I've been told I am lucky I didn't do worse. I know that if I take easy and follow my doctor's orders I'll be in pretty good shape by the time my vacation comes.

Blessings...are you on any meds for your back for the pain?? Perhaps you have inflammation that needs taking care of.....I've had DDD for over 16 years and never had this amount of pain.....but heard that inflammation can cause quite a bit of pain. Now that the meds are kicking in I was pretty much pain free until I did some wacky jumping jacks and now it hurts to sit soo long. But I am confident that in a few days I will be extremely comfortable if I don't go doing things that I shouldn't. My doctor insisted that I get up frequently on the plane as well as use a wheelchair to get from one point to another. You may wish to do the same. Goody is also going to call the airline & request bulkhead seating which gives you more leg room. I will pack some heating pads and ice packs as well.....you may want to pick a few of those up as well....Thermacare makes good ones and Walmart should have them.

Heartland ~ Goody is doing okay but does have more pain when sittting. I am confident it will be better after I put some ice/heat to it and allow the meds to get me back to Easter and this time I will skip the jumping jacks and touching my toes. I know I will be able to do those things again once we get the inflammation under control. And I am confident it will be just in time for my trip and snorkeling....with no flotation device .....Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 03-31-2005 at 08:00 AM.

Old 03-31-2005, 09:28 AM   #52
    heartlandguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

heartlandguy HB User

[QUOTE=goody2shuz]Goody is doing okay but does have more pain when sitting. I am confident it will be better after I put some ice/heat to it and allow the meds to get me back to Easter and this time I will skip the jumping jacks and touching my toes. I know I will be able to do those things again once we get the inflammation under control.[/QUOTE]This friend is sorry to hear about you having more pain but at the same time, I’m glad to see your change in meds is allowing your razor-sharp mind to reemerge from “the fog”. The smart Goody will take better care of herself than the woozy Goody did. (I still can’t believe the jumping jacks. ) Sure, I’d do something that stupid but you’re sooo much smarter than that. Take care and keep us updated.

Old 03-31-2005, 01:18 PM   #53
    BlessingsGalore

BlessingsGalore HB User

Yes Goody, got those hot/cold packs ready......small pillow for small of back...meds, supplements, yada yada.

And yes, I am taking Lodine, and Ibprofen, along with host of other meds.

I remember having low back pain when I was a cheerleader in High School....a LONG time ago, and cannot really remember being without it, but it has become unbearable now.

FIBRO, on top of anything spells H-E-L-L-0- doubleGood pain.

I plan to try to get the bulkhead..........easy on, easy off.

Going to SPINE DOC tomorrow...........say a prayer for me.

THANKS and BLESSINGS,......

Old 03-31-2005, 03:20 PM   #54
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Blessings.....I am sorry to hear about your FIBRO, from what I understand that in itself is very painful. And I believe when there is inflammation on the back the fibro wraps itself around that as well, so I can only imagine the discomfort you must be experiencing Do you have a Pain Mangement doctor???? From what I understand alot of the boarders here with fibro have suggested that others find one. You must be about my age....I will be celebrating my 18th Anniversary in May. I hate to think of you being so young with al this going on. You are definitely in my prayers, Blessings, and I am here for you any time you need to talk. When is your trip to Florida??? And how about San Juan??? Where do you live now???

We leave on the 15th for Cancun.....my doctor says that if I take care of myself I should do okay and when I get back he will start me on a Rehablitation program for exercise. I am really looking forward to that. I refuse to let this get worse and if I can do anything to strengthen my muscles I intend to do so.

You must have missed my post saying how I wouldn't ever wear a floatation device again I'm not going to this trip either. The water should be good for my back.....there's something healing about being in the water or by it for Goody.

Heartland ~ Thanks for your continued support. I'm doing okay and was able to do some laundry and a few things around the house in addition to my exercises the doctor recommende I do. The Spring weather is finally arriving...60 degrees today so I was able to sit outside & read for a while too. Tomorrow the rain arrrives....my flowers are finally blooming and they could use the water......Goody

Old 03-31-2005, 03:36 PM   #55
    Lavender76
    Inactive

Lavender76 HB User
    Unhappy Re: Degenerative Discs & Pain Management

Goody2Shoes,
    Damn, I feel your pain,too. I suffer with DDD and my neurosurgeon also suggested no surgery unless I couldn't walk etc. For some reason, the last 2 weeks, the pain is taking on a whole new level. I also have osteoarthritis and spinal stenosis in my neck. BUT, other than those things I feel great!! Not.
    I went to my regular doc today and did some major complaining. I have a prescription for demerol, but I rarely use it because all it does is give me about 2 hours of relief and it's not something I can take on a regular basis. I also take Celebrex. I also am depressed because of living with chronic pain.
    My depression is directly proportionate to my pain. Anyway the doctor and I decided to to try Tramadol (Ultram) because it's not nearly as addictive and I can take it more often. He said to take tylenol with it. I am trying to find some exercises that are good for me but gentle enough to not make things worse. DDD is in a league of it's own so not every exercise is good for it.
    I also, use a heating pad and ice sometimes. Ice is helpful, but it is also harder to make myself use it (doesn't feel as good), but definitely numbs it.
    Many years ago when I was in my 20's I went to the Mayo Clinic because of my back pain. At that time it was not DDD, they thought probably just arthritis. They were the first ones to suggest ice. I haven't had an MRI in about 5 years, but it is probably getting close to time for another look. Anyway, I, too, would like all suggestions from people. Thanks everyone for listening to me complain. It's been a really bad couple of weeks and I am frustrated.

Old 03-31-2005, 04:00 PM   #56
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Hi, Lavendar Yes....DDD is not fun and I would love to help you out. First of all.....see if you can have your doctor switch you to Feldene rather than Celebrex. I had started on Naprosyn which I developed an allergy to and then Voltaren and then Celebrex. My best friend was on feldene and suggested I ask my doctor to try that when my pain increased and I was unable to walk a few weeks ago and the celebrex did hardly nothing whereas after 2 days on the Feldene I was feeling great....so great that I started touching my toes and doing jumping jacks thinking I was cured Now I am having to pay for doing something so stupid.....but I tell you the Feldene is so much better. I was on Percocet for a week and am off that now.

In terms of exercises...I use to walk but I also have osteo in my knees and ankles. My doctor told me some basic exercises to start out with and they basically are twisting side to side 10 repetitions, then arching back 20-30 degrees and the same thing forward 10 repetitions each. I do this 4 times a day. In a month he is going to set me up in a rehab program to be monitored. So I will be glad to share any progress with you as I make it.

Gee...it's great to be in the company of others. Thanks for popping in, I look forward to posting with you again....Goody

Old 03-31-2005, 04:05 PM   #57
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Oh...and Lavender, I too had some depression going on. My doctor put me on Wellbutrin for a short while and it did help. I am no longer on it but it was helpful at the time. Do not feel bad to discuss this as a short term treatment when you have chronic pain. It is common to get depressed when your quality of life is altered in response to pain. I hope this info helps......Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 03-31-2005 at 04:06 PM.

Old 04-01-2005, 04:50 AM   #58
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User
    Angry Re: Degenerative Discs & Pain Management

I dont understand, I am trying to find another Docotor to help me with my pain, I want a Neuro surgeon or a orthopedic spine Doctor to look at my MRI's , Somthing is still wrong, My neuro surgeon and neuroligist say's its muscle spasm's , Its been a year since my surgery, I know what spasm's are.
    I have a dull burning in my back, The pain goes around into my left side of my stomach, Pain still shooting in my hip and down my left leg, My right leg goes numb when Im sitting down, I am not sleeping good at nights, All I get is Tramadol and skelaxin , It helps a little. I called an ortho spine Dr. yesterday, Still waiting for a call. I live in Center county Pennsylvania, has anyone had this problem ? And can you help me find a Doctor who will see me?

Thank you very much.

Old 04-01-2005, 06:15 AM   #59
    BlessingsGalore

BlessingsGalore HB User
    Smile Re: Degenerative Discs & Pain Management

YOU GO GIRL..................without the floatation device that is. More power to ya. It just helps me not to ARCH my back so much........I'm bad about that. I know you will do well.

I bet I'm older than you, for hubby and I had a late marriage. I'm 56 now.....have been very ill with Chronic Fatigue, MCS, FIBRO, FEMALE PROBLEMS (first surgery at age 21), Arthritis, Facet Joint Syndrome, Is that enough ? I don't really remember ever being well. I am also a lightning strike survivor (age 5) and THEY SAY that has led to a lot of my problems....I too a BIG HIT of ELECTRICITY from that and I think it FRIED my whole being.

I leave next Sat. the 9th for Florida. We live in Central Mississippi, so Cancun is a short flight away from New Orleans. I love it there too.

I'm sooooooooo looking forward to the LOVELY WEATHER in Florida.....we've had sooooooooooo many storms of late, as have the other states in the South and East.

Have you tried the Pillow to sit on ? With the HOLE IN THE BACK so that tailbone isn't touching anything. I'm thinking of getting one of those.

Airline seats are not built for one in pain, no way, no how....gotta get as comfortable as possible.

Seeing my Spinal DOC today and yes, I do have a pain Doc, but I'm afraid I refuse a LOT OF DRUGS. I may have to go that route soon.....but am fighting them off right now. A few more days like this...and I'll beg for something stronger. MAYBE TODAY !!!

Be healthy girl.....................catch ya later and thanks for your prayers and friendship.

Old 04-01-2005, 07:46 AM   #60
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Blessings ~ Wow...a lightning strike survivor. Thunderstorms are up there as Goody's #1 fear. My mom use to hide in closets so I blame my fear on her but I promised to be brave for the sake of my 2 daughters and have to say that I have done pretty well. I use to say that it was irrational but I have seen lightening strike our pool ladder and travel throughout our house and my worst was being out on a boat when a terrible storm rolled in so quickly. The bolts were coming down all around us....Goody and 6 kids, my hubby and my brother That was the scariest. I would imagine that the lightning strike has to do with alot of your health problems for I have read that it causes alot of central nervous system problems as well as muscloskeletal ones. I am so sorry that pain is such a big part of your life.

Goody is 45 and I am told that I look younger although sometimes with my back I often feel older. But I have to say that I have been pretty lucky in terms of pain.....this time has been the worst and I have to say that my docotr is right in terms of taking it easy....my hubby went to give me a kiss goodbye this morning while I was sleeping in bed and when he touched my lower back ever so gently I screamed out in pain So I guess there is more damage than I first thought. I am being so good ignoring the impulses to pick up loads of laundry piling up and dishes etc. I am not going to take any chances of missing out on this trip to Cancun I may have to forego the trips to the ruins that we did last time and just stay behind with a good book. But Goody [B]will[/B] snorkel.....it is my favorite activity in the world ever since my hubby taught me on our honeymoon. Last year Goody was in Belize snorkeling with Sharks, stingrays, dolphins and seaturtles even grabbing a ride from one. Funny how I use to be afraid of the water too....but there's so much to see and experience!!! I also caught myself some triggerfish, grouper, and hubby caught a giant barracuda!!!! Yes, Goody has been lucky enough to visit many tropical places.....the Rivera Maya is one of our family's favorite spots. So snorkeling will definitely be part of Goody's plans

I will have to go out & hunt for one of those pillows you spoke about. Seems that most of my discomfort is while sitting....I am in a straight back chair now as per doctors orders. It was definitely an adjustment but I am getting use to it. I am confident this will be better in time for my trip.

Looks like you will be leaving before Goody. My in-laws live in Jensen Beach and said it has been cold up until Easter and the great weather is finally there. I hope you enjoy every bit of it. I am glad we met, Blessings. It's wonderful to have support here. I look forward to talking to you again and hope that your pain is better in time for your trip.

My prayers and friendship......Goody

Heartland ~ Hope you're doing well too. That pet project must be keeping you busy

Last edited by goody2shuz; 04-01-2005 at 07:52 AM.

Closed Thread