It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Degenerative Discs & Pain Management

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-01-2005, 08:09 AM   #61
    heartlandguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

heartlandguy HB User
    Re: Degenerative Discs & Pain Management

Sorry to hear about your back pain. Your reports make it sound like its getting worse day by day, is that right?

My wife and I look younger than our ages, too. Last year, a guy guessed me to be 8 years younger than I am; it took me a week to get the grin off my face. We think smoking and needless tanning make many people look older than need be; is genetics also a factor, Nurse Goody?

PS: I saw the update on your brother. I'll be praying for him.

Last edited by heartlandguy; 04-01-2005 at 08:13 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2005, 08:23 AM   #62
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

goody2shuz HB Usergoody2shuz HB User

[QUOTE=heartlandguy]Sorry to hear about your back pain. Your reports make it sound like its getting worse day by day, is that right?

My wife and I look younger than our ages, too. Last year, a guy guessed me to be 8 years younger than I am; it took me a week to get the grin off my face. We think smoking and needless tanning make many people look older than need be; is genetics also a factor, Nurse Goody?[/QUOTE]

Good Morning, my dear friend I got a late start here this a.m. My laptop keeps booting off on me despite battery power or A/C power. I lost a few posts and am on Tom's now.....he doesn't like me touching his toys but I think he'll understand. Any suggestions my technilogical friend????

Anyway....the back is wierd....since my pain free day I sort of have this crushing type lower back pain.....not severe a 3-4 on a scale of 1-10.....but it seems more aggravated when sitting. This morning it scared me how much Tom's light touch hurt....if it gets any worse I may call the doctor to see if I should up the muscle relaxants again. And I have started these exercises so that could be it too. Not overdoing it at all...so I know it's not anything I am doing. Although....Goody is a stomach sleeper which is the worst thing for the back. (A bad habit to break) I couldn't sleep on my stomach until a few nights ago so that could have something to do with it too.

I guess genetics has somewhat of a role although my mom looks older than her age My dad, however, looks younger so perhaps I got his genes. Tom smokes and tans....from working outdoors. Many a time people ask him if he just returned from a tropical island....and he looks young too Perhaps it's the water

I just read you other post and will probably respond later on.....I need to get up & move and make some phone calls to check up on my brother etc. And I need to check in with CompUSA where we got my computer to see what I need to do about that. Thank God it's still under warranty. Thanks for your friendship, Heartland....you really make Goody's day......((((HUGS)))))

Last edited by goody2shuz; 04-01-2005 at 08:25 AM.

Old 04-01-2005, 08:58 AM   #63
    BlessingsGalore

BlessingsGalore HB User

Goody, I THINK you can buy those pillows at Walgreens. Again, I say I THINK.
    It would really help sitting at this puter too wouldn't it. That's my worst ailment out of the Facet Joint and DDD too....is sitting.

Have been taking my DINNER lying in bed on my side. I get that bad by nightfall. I don't think I'm overdoing for I am doing NOTHING much.

Hubby got me a maid about 2 months ago.....so I don't do any cleaning and we've bought meals for dinner most of the time, cause I just can't get them anymore.

I'm in a women's club and I save my energy for that and hubby. We do lots of fun stuff, outtings. Garden Luncheons, day trips, bunco, bridge, out to lunch bunch, knitting, book club, and now we're putting together a 25th anni cookbook, and I'm on the committee.

I seem to be able to run ONE errand every other day.............and that's getting old. I learned how to pace with the Fibro and Lupus a long time ago but this is ridiculous.

Leaving shortly for new SPINE DOC APPT. I pray he will have new options.

It's another stormy day here and my husband sat with me this morning an hour and a half before he would leave me. Sooooooooooo much pain from all the AILMENTS, I couldn't even cry. He put the Ultram and Soma in my mouth and gave me the water.............I was that bad................................too bad to cry. You know that feeling. Too much energy. I was unable to move my body ENTIRE BODY was so wracked with pain. I'm afraid BLESSINGS is getting very down, and that is out of character for her JOYOUS spirit.

Health and blessings to you all.

Will report back after I see new DOC.

BYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe for now...........

Old 04-01-2005, 09:14 AM   #64
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Oh, Blessings.....you are definitely in my prayers, sweetie. I will pray that this new spine doctor will find something to better your quality of life. Goody would also suggest that perhaps you discuss a mild antidepressant such as Wellbutrin. Chronic pain does cause depression and it will help keep your spirits up. Goody was on it short term and it helped. So think about that too. And, Blessings....don't be afraid of the meds. My doctor & I discussed that my last visit. Goody would not take the meds unless absolutely necessary in fear of not having anything to help me out when I am in my 70's. My doctor told me that it's nonsense and when you need the meds you need to take them. I use to cheat and do my own thing. And I also found that the Celebrex didn't work like the Feldene does. So trying different meds is important until you find the one that'll work. And it does take a few days to start taking effect so Goody would suggest that you talk this over with the doctor about how you would like to find a pain regimen that is going to help restore your quality of life. Please do this when you visit your doctor. And don't be afraid to cry...I did when I saw my doctor this last time and he saw how desperate I was to fix things. Now you go out & do the same so you can enjoy your time in Florida. Let me know how things go.....Goody

Last edited by goody2shuz; 04-01-2005 at 09:16 AM.

Old 04-01-2005, 02:46 PM   #65
    BlessingsGalore

BlessingsGalore HB User

I hated the DOC. Saw the Spinal Doc. Hubby took off to go with me, knowing what JACK RABBITS they can be sometime. He had a HORRIBLE bedside manner even with hubby sitting there with him.

He kinda settled down a LITTLE after he heard me telling my husband I DIDN'T LIKE HIM on the way out the door when leaving me to get ready for X-rays. Hubby hated him too. I don't put up with the DOC ATTITUDE ANYMORE............been in this tooooooooo long...........suffered tooooooooo much.

Long story short : DDD of L 2-3 bad.............some in L 4-5. Severe Arthritis on right side and some on left too. Several bone spurs and Facet Joint.

HE SAID: I had run the gammit of stuff to do ....now it was time for surgery. I BEGAN TO WEEP....couldn't SPEAK. Hubby tried to talk to him then.....and ask some more questions. He did x-rays and said the guy who had done MYOFASICIAL ON ME HAD DONE A NUMBER ON ME AND CALLED IT VOODOO since I got a lot worse after that. NOW I DO AGREE THERE...because I have gotten a lot worse and it has gone into both legs since then. I DID NOT have that before he worked me over.

I THINK I have a nerve impingment from those manipulations. AND I do have Piriformis Syndrome from the exercises.

I will see a NEURO next week to possibly do a Discogram and see what he allows.

We have CANCELLED OUR TRIP. I am hardly able to get to DOC right now, so I know I would not have a good trip in this condition. It will keep.

Goody.................I DID FIND THE PILLOW I told you about at Walgreens for $14.99. Used it coming home and I couldn't feel the JAR to my spine when I hit a bump. I think it's going to be a blessing.

I also bought a WAIST WRAP heating/cold pad thingy. It's awesome...can just wear it around or lie down.

I do have a CHERRY PIT Pillow that I have used with great relief for several years now. If you have never had one, you might want to try one. The cherry pits were used eons ago for a heating pad/bed warmer. You can order cherry pits and make them in any shape you want or need them.

I gotta go................................in soooooooooooooooooooo much pain....no new meds....wouldn't dare ask that GUY. Storms here again and they are literally killing me.

I hope you all have a wonderful pain free weekend.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY INPUT, EXPERIENCE with these things, please share if you feel like it. Especially the Lam ????? surgery ! I will do a lot of things before SURGERY HAPPENS. What ..I DUNNO...but it will be the LAST COURSE.

Blessings......................

Old 04-01-2005, 05:29 PM   #66
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Hi, Blessings. WOW ~ I am so sorry to hear that your doctor's appointment went so poorly. We both have 2 discs involved...Goody's is L4-5 & L5-S1. Is arthritis around both these discs???? And where exactly is Fascet Joint???
    I didn't realize that you had surgery in the past.....my doctor still says no surgery until I can't walk or lose bladder/bowel control. My pain isn't at the level of considering surgery just yet but in your case you may want to listen to the doctors. If it interferes enough with your quality of life then if you find a good surgeon go for it. But I do understand your concerns when your first surgery left you worse off. That is my fear.

I am sorry to hear about you having to cancel your trip. But I think it was for the best since your pain is so bad. And thanks for the info regarding the pillow....I will send hubby out for one.

Goody's back pain is increasing.....I put a call into the doctor and he wants me back up on the muscle relaxant. I will go see him on Monday and he may want to get a MRI since it has been quite some time since I had one.

I just had a scarey incident...hubby has been doing all the driving and he was out with one daughter and I went to take my other daughter just in the development to a friends house. On the way back I hit a tree I didn't think the meds were affecting me that much but apparently they are. And I only had one dose of each today. Thank God there was no damage to the car.....I must have hit it with my tire but I thought for sure there was going to be damage. No more driving for Goody

Oh well...that was my excitement for the day. Blessings....you are in my prayers and I pray that the neurologist comes up with a good plan for you. Goody is here whenever you need to vent....((((HUGS)))))

Last edited by goody2shuz; 04-01-2005 at 05:37 PM.

Old 04-01-2005, 08:30 PM   #67
    heartlandguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

heartlandguy HB User

Goody, your latest report on your brother doesn't betray the stress you must feel. You made it sound so routine but I can't see how it would be. I hope every works out great for your brother but I'm also concerned about how your system is handling the combination of meds & stress.

Do you think the combination might be the reason for the difficulty you encountered while driving?

Old 04-01-2005, 09:02 PM   #68
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Heartland ~ I really am not all that stressed over my brother...his third wife thank God is a take charge sorta person. I never got in an accident and my judgement was definitely impaired....enough to give me a clear sign that I should not be driving while on these meds. I dont' know.....perhaps it's the combo of the guilt I feel having to feel dependent on others...that's a form of stress for me. I'm getting better at relying on others but it's a hard thing to do at times......Goody

Old 04-02-2005, 08:18 AM   #69
    BlessingsGalore

BlessingsGalore HB User
    Post Re: Degenerative Discs & Pain Management

Goody, I hate to hear about your accident. I know that I am very leary driving with some of these meds. I try not to take them when going out, just suffer through and take them when I get back. I know that's not right, but I have no one to take me about. So glad you were not injured.

AND YES, you are correcto, chango. I am looking at my report right now. We have the exact (or close to) the same thing it looks like. L-5-S1 and L-4-5 ligament and facet arthritis. Desiccation (dehydration) all the way through L-45. BUT the strange thing is: After he made the X-rays yesterday, he said the worst looking disc to him was the L 2-3 . GO figure. This was the MRI REPORT I just quoted. That's the Joint he was most concerned about and is sending me on to have the DISCOGRAM to find out exactly which one is the Culprit.

ANYONE HERE HAVE THE DISCOGRAM ? Oh please tell me it is NOT as awful as it sounds. PULLLLLLLLEASE !!!

Hope you all have a pain free day.

Old 04-02-2005, 08:29 AM   #70
    BlessingsGalore

BlessingsGalore HB User
    Post Re: Degenerative Discs & Pain Management

Goody, forgot to say. Evidently you mis-read. I have NOT had back surgery. I have had a lot of surgery but NOT back. Just wanted to clear that up. Hope your pain is BETTER.

Old 04-02-2005, 11:01 AM   #71
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

[QUOTE=BlessingsGalore]Goody, forgot to say. Evidently you mis-read. I have NOT had back surgery. I have had a lot of surgery but NOT back. Just wanted to clear that up. Hope your pain is BETTER.[/QUOTE]

Good Afternoon, Blessings Actually Goody's pain is much better today.....I find that the more I move around walking and alternating that with the sitting the better. Or it may be the increase in my muscle relaxant but I decided that no matter how good I feel I am not pushing it Goody already learned her lesson in regard to overdoing things. All I want is to get myself ready to enjoy my trip.....my family is working along with me on that

Blessings......Goody has never had a discogram but if you do a search above I am sure you will find lots of info on it. Always remember that everyone has a different pain threshold and experiences these things differently. I am sure you should be okay with the test.

I think the hardest part of this all is having to rely on others......Goody has the hardest time with that.....but I am learning that it is everyone's best interest to rely on them in my time of need (less car accidents )

My prayers are that you have a pain free weekend as well.....taking things one day at a time ((((HUGS)))) & prayers......Goody

Heartland ~ Thanks for holding my hand and continuing to be Goody's wind beneath her wings Always seeing the good in the bad.....Goody

Old 04-03-2005, 05:58 PM   #72
    heartlandguy
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

heartlandguy HB User

Goody, how are the meds, the pain and you doing today? I hope you find an equilibrium where you feel good without side-effects.

Unlike what you do for me, my friend, I must occasionally be a downdraft on you wings. Libras like me soar dangerously low when frustrated so during those moments I am grateful for an updraft from you. On the other hand, Leos like you soar dangerously high when frustrated and need a timely downdraft from a friendly Libra… else you might self-destruct by doing jumping jacks or attacking a tree (like Don Quixote). (BTW… you never did explain how that tree got out in the street. ) The important thing is that good friends must look out for each other and watch each other’s back (pun intended). With a little luck, Tom and I might be able to convince you to settle down enough so you won’t have to snorkel in a wheelchair.

I’ve told you before that you remind me of my wife. I guess even that has gone full circle. Yesterday she had on the History Channel and was watching a show about the Mayas and how they used the cenotes. Also, I forgot to mention that her pet project will have a beachfront theme. Anyway, when I get around to updating the friends thread, you’ll see how great your advice about her has been.

I look forward to seeing an update about your brother tomorrow. -Heartland

Old 04-03-2005, 06:39 PM   #73
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Heartland ~ Actually the pain is better...going back up on the muscle relaxant must have done it but I am having a hard time remembering if I took a dose I guess that is a side effect (forgetfulness). So I didn't want to take an extra one and figured my back would let me know in time. I guess it's time to have a checkoff list.

You are soooo funny The tree was on the side of the road. I pulled up by the curb to drop my daughter off....she walked up to the door and as usual I did the mother thing and slowly pulled away from the curb while making sure she got in the door....and bang...there was the tree!!! Instead of pulling the wheel slightly to the left towards the road either I didn't turn it and it was turned to the right from dropping her off or I turned it to the right without even realizing it. In any case it was rather scarey

Hey....Tom would really be interested in what exactly those Mayans did in the cenotes. Did you have a chance to find out??

Hey, Goody has a great story about a 17 year old Mayan boy we met in Belize. They called him the crocodile hunter...each night at dusk we would gather to see him at the lagoon slapping a whole chicken and entice this 10-12 foot croc. He got it pretty close....close enough to scare Goody. Well one evening the croc wouldn't come close at all and so this boy grabbed 3ft X 3ft piece of styroform board that was just lying around and proceeded to paddle himself out into the middle of the lagoon about 2-3 ft from the croc. All of a sudden the styroform split in half and he plunged into the water. The crowd screamed and Goody covered her eyes. The boy swam frantically to shore and thankfully made it. This boy gave K. her first kiss (he'd meet her at the beach with a bunch of other kids her age) and called her for about 6 months after we left. Of course I found out about the kiss after all the phone calls

Anyway..... tomorrow I will call my doctor to discuss our next plan of action. My feeling is that with the meds I am okay and getting better. I may suggest we continue the muscle relaxant at 3 doses daily for the rest of the week and give it another try of weaning it next week sometime. My younger caughter's play is this week....3 nights and I plan on going to 2 of them. Sitting in a junior high school audotorium seat for 3-4 hours will be a true test. Her play is "Godspell" and I am really looking forward to it. So I have 4 more days to get my back in order.

Thank you for the timely downdrafts in allowing me to face reality that there are times to soar and other times to jsut glide and allow the wind to carry through in order to give the wings a rest. You're a terrrific friend....Goody

Old 04-04-2005, 06:20 AM   #74
    goody2shuz
    Inactive
    (female)

Good morning, Blessings I sure hope your weekend was better in terms of pain. Goody is actually at a good state......just about pain free A slight ache is all....the meds seem to be doing the thing...I just can't overdo things or do without the meds yet but I am confident in time I will be able to get off at least the muscle relaxant once the injury heals and the swelling goes down.

Bessings ~ I saw from other posts you have made that you are really being scared off from having the discogram. Please remember that everyone responds to pain and any given test so differently. I am sure that some discomfort may be involved but if it will identify the problem and lead to a treatment I would say go for it. It seems that you need to find the right person who is qualified to do one and discuss you concerns about the pain involved and perhaps he/she will work with you and premedicate you prior to the test. That's Goody's advise and I hope that you weigh it with the benefits the test may give you.

Please know that you are in my continued prayers......Goody

Heartland ~ Goody's just about at Easter state....and not going to do any jumping jacks this time

Last edited by goody2shuz; 04-04-2005 at 06:21 AM.

Old 04-04-2005, 06:35 AM   #75
    BlessingsGalore

BlessingsGalore HB User
    Cool Re: Degenerative Discs & Pain Management

Morning Goody. Glad to hear you are some better.

The storms cleared here, the barometer went up FINALLY and I had a decent weekend myself.

I will wait and talk to the Neuro this week to decide, but I have read horror stories on the Discogram. I am very torn down and I do not think I can handle one more TRAUMA to my body or PAIN. I have sufferered through this horrible pain without adequate meds as it is and I am very, very torn down physically, mentally and emotionally. MAYBE LATER.....but if they came at my spine with a needle right now and I was aware of it...........I think they'd all wind up across the room. The injections were bad enough while under versed....................baby girl cried for 48 hours after. My pain threshold (after 25 years of being in pain) is now very low I'm afraid. I didn't get TOUGHER WITH TIME.

We are even thinking of GOING ON OUR TRIP after all. We will decide by Wednesday, and watch the weather and how I do.

I am headed for MASSAGE...............sweet MASSAGE this morning as I BELIEVE (my doc says I know my body better than anyone he has ever seen) that I have a NERVE ENTRAPMENT after the PT guy got done with me with Myofasical release. I know I have the facet joint and arthritis, and yada yada too......but I did not have leg pain until he got done with me.

We took the MOHO (motorhome) out for a long day of picnicking yesterday. Weather was in mid 70's, bright sunshine, after church. What a wonderful time, I even walked in the woods a little with my hubby and sweet little peekapoo.

THIS IS FUNNY ! We bought a Class C moho (motorhome) a few years ago and I couldn't ride in the thing. Thought it was an awful ride....so 9 months later, we traded it in for the big Class C bus type.....and I still couldn't sit in front seat with Hubby, cause it was tooooo painful. He says: We can't trade UP again Darling. Turns out: It has been the Facet Joint and DDD and Arthritis ALLLLLLLLLL THE TIME. Is that funny or what ! Well.......kinda funny huh ? It is nice to be able to keep traveling to some degree cause I can go to BED in the thing. Most of the time I travel on the Sofa which is a nice ride, lying down with SHUG (the sweet peekapoo), but I miss sitting up front with my lovely hubby.

MORALE OF STORY: If you own an RV, don't trade up until you know if it's the RV or YOUR BACK !!!!!!!!!!!

I realize I have had this working on me for some time, and then when I rode that HORSE in Kentucky last OCT. and then Lifted a micowave (a small one albeit) the next week for my 87 year old friends birthday .....it set it a DANCING big time. I have been debilitated since THANKSGIVING WEEKEND in this pain with only ULTRAM and Muscle relaxers. NOT GOOD !

I hope the MASSAGE will help today. Can't wait.

Hope all is well with everyone and that everyone is better with better drier WEATHER.

BLESSGINGSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Last edited by BlessingsGalore; 04-04-2005 at 06:37 AM.

Closed Thread