It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 1 month and 1 week post op----FRUSTRATED!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-28-2005, 06:11 AM   #1
    cincigirl
    (female)

cincigirl HB User
    1 month and 1 week post op----FRUSTRATED!

Ok, I have had some issues that have kept me from writing on here.
    First, I had a what we thought was a sciatica pinched nerve ATTACK is what I'll call it since I have never felt pain like this before. About 2 or 3 weeks ago. Sent me to the Er got 3 shots, and sent home with a follow up visit scheduled in the am with my Ortho, he admitted me back in, just for observation so the could do a cat etc, didn't see any impinged nerves. Ok...ended being there for 3 days.
    Finally get back home,, then boom this past Friday, feeling great, have lost 10 of the 27 lbs I had gained !!!!!
    My mom has been here the past 2 weeks helping ( always been either hubby mom or mine since surgery). I sit down for breakfast, and boom, it hits again. Just stabbing me over and over, all I can do is cry, my mom doesn't know what to do, I don't want to go sit at the "we'll call it the ER even thought no one cares if your screaming bloody murder", and wait 3 hours for a shot, so we are calling my dr, can't get ahold of him, so any on call dr will do. Finally my mom gives me one of my valume and an oxy, to calm me down, then in an hour a flexeril, my dr calls finally and says I don't know what to do, the cat looks fine, so it has to be spasms, but if your gonna stay home just try 800 mg of motrin, otherwise come back in to the hosp, right, where they will just drug me up, not find out what the problem is, and then I'll leave in the same shape I left in last time.
    UGHHHHHHHHHHHH I am so frustrated. I am feeling pretty damn good except for those. I mean I still have to sleep in my hosp bed, laying flat in my bed don't cut it yet, but I don't need my walker at all, and I can do the treadmill, and some excersizes, although...thats another thing, Im carrying around this extra weight, yet he will not let me start PT yet. Its already been 7 weeks post op, granted 2 set backs, but I'm getting so antsy!, and I sat on the floor in my walk in bawling 2 weekends ago, cause I couldnt even get anything buttoned, NOTHING. I was so bloated from all the drugs, they had me on wayyyyyyyyyyy too much stuff. Ok thanks for letting me vent. ANyone else having these spasms? Love ya all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2005, 06:29 AM   #2
    Quietcook
    Inactive
    (female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
    Re: 1 month and 1 week post op----FRUSTRATED!

Oh my, I'm so sorry you are still having such terrible spasms at 5 weeks. I do understand and they absolutely can be excruisiating. Are you trying some heat with meds when these first hit? Have you tried speaking with your primary care doc or the surgeon to see if perhaps they can offer changes in meds that might work better and not put the weight on you? If you haven't please try to speak with them and see if something else might work better for you. Have you spoken with the surgeon about theraputic massage? Maybe that would help those muscles to relax so that the spasms might not be so severe. Perhaps you can call some of the therapy places and see if they need a script for that. Probably not, unless it is for getting the insurance to pay, but it is worth some out of pocket expense if it brings some relief.

Hope you find relief soon and please know that we are here and while we cannot help the pain, we will listen and understand. Please talk with your doctors and see if any of these options may be available to you and let us know how you are doing. We care!

Old 03-28-2005, 06:49 AM   #3
    cincigirl
    (female)

cincigirl HB User

This is my little attempt at poetry. This is what I have been doing since I have been down.
    But this is to you out there feeling like me:

Fear and agony, fight or flight
    gripping the bed with all my might
    Stabbing knife, burning heat
    What is this pain that runs so deep
    Seconds seem like minutes they turn
    to hours, this pain feels as if its going to
    kill me, reall just devour
    Sitting at the hospital, seems as no one
    cares
    I feel as if I'm all alone, writhing in pain,
    I'm so scared
    Finally a shot, soon then another, then
    my body starts to calm, starting to rest
    like a baby with its mother
    I go home, and get into bed, so shaken
    from the night
    Just wanting to go to sleep and forget
    about this fight.

Old 03-28-2005, 03:23 PM   #4
    myspine
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

myspine HB User

Hi
    Wow that is a great Poem, although it tells what a bad ordeal you are going through it still is a great poem. Remember it is still early and everyone heals very diff. it takes time to recover from such a big surgery. I am sorry you are having such a hard time. I hope that things get better for you.
    shelley

Old 03-29-2005, 01:41 AM   #5
    Bionicwan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bionicwan HB User

Your poetry is beautiful - such a perfect way to express your feelings!

The spasms are sadly just a given with spinal surgery, they too shall pass.
    Are you on any muscle relaxers? I do hope your feeling better today.
    Bionic

Old 03-29-2005, 09:43 AM   #6
    cincigirl
    (female)

cincigirl HB User

Flexeril is the drug of choice right now, and I also take Neuorontin. And cymbalta, and topamax, and then for mild pain vicodin and extreme pain oxycotin which I try not to take. I hate all these drugs. I went back to taking Glucosamine Sulfate and eda and cold fish etc. All the homeopathic stuff my chiro put me on before, its better for us anyway and Im tired of being on all these drugs that knock me out! Of, course I don't like the pain.
    But still.
    Thanks for the compliment about the poetry....something I have been doing since my surgery, gives me something to focus on.

Closed Thread