It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Pharmacy tried to rip me off

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-08-2005, 07:12 PM   #1
    mydogsobe
    Inactive
    (male)

mydogsobe HB User
    Pharmacy tried to rip me off

Last month at Walgreens I picked up my prescription of 180 Lortabs and when I got home I looked at the bottle and could tell it didnt look full. So I counted them (I never had before in years) and sure enough they were like 22 short. So I called the Pharmacy and told the manager. You would think it would be easy to correct, all they would need to do is do something like count the big bottle they came out of. I'm sure Pharmacies have a way of checking their inventory just like a store can count their drawer.
    Well the manager came back and said they recounted their bottle and they were correct. I said BULL. I had my Dad count them for me over and he agreed so I had him drive me to Walgreens and I marched right in and demanded the Manager at the Pharmacy. They did a bunch of fast talking, While the young male Pharmcist kept telling me I was wrong.
    Well, I said very loudly, Call the Police. I demanded that they call the police or give me a phone and I will. Then the Manager said no you've been a good paying customer and we'll give you the 22 pills. Now thats what Im talking about, Action, lol.
    Now evertime I go in there for a prescription they have to call the Manager back and count them before I can get them. Thats Great, I love that. I still go back there just to show them that I wasnt the one wrong and oh yeah the young Pharmacist doesnt work there anymore and when I asked what happened to him they just tell me that they had to let him go.
    I wonder If this has happened to anyone else?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2005, 08:24 PM   #2
    cajunboy
    (male)

cajunboy HB User
    Re: Pharmacy tried to rip me off

Your not alone in this. I have made a habit of counting my pills each time I get a refill. I have had two occasions where they were short. Both times it was just a couple of pills, but I found out later that in one case the pharmacist "was let go". I should note that "just a couple of pills" can mean the difference between pain relief or no pain relief, so it is a big deal. It is not like we are talking about aspirin. In both cases they provided me with the shortage no questions asked, maybe because I was a long time customer and I was pretty demanding (going directly to the manager).

I have considered having them count the pills each time in front of me before I leave the pharmacy so that if the bottle is short they don't claim that I am just trying to get some extras. I haven't reached that point yet, but it may not be too far off before I start. I realize that Pharmacists are human too, and some may be tempted. I am sure that in some cases it is just an honest mistake, but when you are talking about narcotics (which you know they are extra careful) you start to wonder???

This is an issue that chronic pain patients will have to deal with until we find a better way.

cb

Old 04-08-2005, 10:23 PM   #3
    tammys
    (female)

tammys HB User

I had 3 times that my lortab was shorted at the pharmacy. All 3 times I called to let them know and then went in and picked up my missing lortab. It was 5 lortab each time. The same pharmacist was on duty all 3 times. Now I take a paper towel in with me when I pick up my meds.....I pour my meds out on the paper towel and count them while a tech stands there and watches me. The first time it happend I had already gotten home before I realized I was 5 short. The last 2 times I had already gotten in my car. I found out that other customers have had the same problem as I was in the pharmacy last week and another customer was counting his meds. Out of curosity I asked him why and he said his LORTAB was short a few times. I finally decided it may be time to talk to someone, so I asked to see the manager. I told him that I get Lortab, tylox, lodine, ultram, flexeril, zanaflex, robaxin, ambien, amytriptylin, and several meds for my stomach and how unusual it was that out of all the meds I get.....Only LORTAB was ever shorted. He agreed that it was unusual. I told him that another customer had also had that problem. He was calling in auditors. I have not been in since, but my neice has assured me that the pharmacist involved has been replaced and that the problem has been taken care of. (She is a tech at that pharmacy). I never intended to get the pharmacist in trouble, but this is the same pharmacist that made remarks about me being on so many different pain meds and muscle relaxers. I never accused him, but facts sometimes speak for themselves.

Have a good day!!! Keep Smiling!!!
    Tammy

Old 04-09-2005, 01:06 AM   #4
    cajunboy
    (male)

cajunboy HB User

Tammy

I think you did what was appropriate in your circumstances. That is commendable and a good idea....the paper towel that is

cb

Old 04-09-2005, 04:15 AM   #5
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jdlfmc HB Userjdlfmc HB User

This is not as unusual as you think. I had this happen for a long time I kept comming up short on my oxycontin I couldn't prove it as the next month I'd go in and it would be correct. Come to find out the employee was rotating who he hit so it was never the same person twice he had a list he hit so it was months in between getting hit.Then I was supposed to get 120 vicodin and the bottle they put them in would only hold 60 maxium needless to say I no longer do buisness with them and I know they caught this person but I have no idea what happened to them, I should have filed legal charges against the pharmacy.
    Linda

Old 04-09-2005, 06:42 AM   #6
    kt41577
    (female)

kt41577 HB User

it's happened to my mom a few times, I would pick up her meds, and stand off to a different counter and count her meds. they got a little huffy with her a few times until they realized it was their fault. they were really good about fixing it. I still count her meds every month..just to make sure...

Old 04-09-2005, 08:48 AM   #7
    mydogsobe
    Inactive
    (male)

mydogsobe HB User

I did file a complaint with the Pharmacy legal board or some name like that and Like I said in my post the Manager has to count them himself also each time.
    Wow it looks like this happens a lot.

Closed Thread