It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

ADR Decision Time - help

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-23-2005, 07:49 AM   #1
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2
bmp56 HB User
ADR Decision Time - help

I've been researching ADR for months as my local doctors want to do a 2-level fusion. I thought I had a lot of time, but my symptoms are growing worse and I feel that I get serious about surgery. I have grade 1 spondy-something or other at L4-5 and ddd at L5-S1.

The problem I'm having is that all of the data I can find is suspect. I read studies that seem to be a conclusion waiting for a way to prove it. I find happy patients and disasters on the internet. Conflicting reports from all the doctors. I've got to do something, but my head is spinning! I'm going to the international spine patient symposium next weekend in ny. It looks like that will may be helpful, but I don't know what to expect. Anyone been to one of these seminars?

How do you decide which surgery to do?

Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 04-23-2005, 10:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,128
carol632 HB User
Re: ADR Decision Time - help

Well, if I had a choice, I would go with the ADR. It leaves you with more flexibility for one thing and that is important to most people. I, too, have read both glowing reports and disaster stories, but I think that is true of most anything. I have been fused twice at L5-S1 so I will never be eligible for ADR, but if I were, I would try it. Just my personal opinion and certainly not urging you in one direction or the other...ADR is relatively new here in the States, and we don't know what the long-term outlook is. Pros and cons...and then I guess you go with your gut.

Good luck with this difficult decision.

2 lami's, 3 fusions
bone spur removal
cerv. fusion, 1 level
morphine pump

Old 04-23-2005, 10:46 AM   #3
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,291
Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
Re: ADR Decision Time - help


Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 06:49 PM.

Old 04-23-2005, 03:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,186
jdlfmc HB Userjdlfmc HB User
Re: ADR Decision Time - help

I have been researching ADR for several years and they have been doing them in Germany for yrs and yrs and many levels, as of right now the FDA has only approved one level fusions here but they are doing 2 levels in trial.
Since this is so new here the surgeons are being very paticular about the conditons in which they are done and how severe your problems are, which really limits who qualifys for ADR in time the rules will become more lax but in the meantime only the best of canidates are getting it, I'm not trying to discourage you only alert you, if I had a choice ADR would be mine but I don't qualify for surgery or ADR.
If you are going to the seminar I believe you will be in some of the best company in the world and will learn everything you need. I would love to have been able to go to this seminar but it's out of the question for me right now.

Old 04-23-2005, 04:12 PM   #5
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 2
bmp56 HB User
Re: ADR Decision Time - help

Thanks everyone for the replies, and thanks in advance for future info too. I think that some of the American docs at the seminar are doing the advanced cases. This week, I called Dr. Regan's and Dr. Bitan's offices and they both said that triple level procedures are now being done. I need a 2-level and I think that the big show stopper is insurance coverage, not the ability of the american doctors to do it. But, I do question their experience with the advanced cases compared to the German surgeons.

Is anyone else going to the seminar?

Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Questioning Every Decision becks68 Anxiety 2 11-24-2010 05:47 PM
Need help making a life altering decision... tybee Relationship Health 23 02-10-2010 10:07 AM
The most heartbreaking decision... update on me tiriki Relationship Health 16 10-19-2007 11:01 AM
Please help- just rcvd' letter with DECISION, now what? ray78640 Disabilities 11 08-05-2007 12:08 AM
Confuse: How dya know if you still love your husband? luvuforever Relationship Health 19 12-20-2006 07:09 AM
Help Me With Decision - Pacemaker in 79 yr. dad w/alz. and parkinsons!!!!????? WannaBeFreeToRoam Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia 20 07-27-2006 01:50 PM
Your experience w/nh decision & your loved one's transition LuvMyLilDoggie Alzheimer's Disease & Dementia 10 01-07-2006 08:46 PM
Court and my sons big decision to make KFld Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics 9 08-19-2005 07:42 AM
What a decision and is it all worth it Some12 Panic Disorders 11 01-31-2004 12:53 AM

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is Off
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:45 AM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!