It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Strange Smells?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-10-2005, 11:41 AM   #1
    suebeehoneytree
    (female)

suebeehoneytree HB User
    Strange Smells?

Twice today I've smelled something like cookies baking. I'm on Vicodin and Neurontin. Could these medications cause this type of side effect? I think I'm going crazy. There is nobody cooking in my house, I'm the only one here. I'm going on Friday to see a new neurospine doctor and I'm not sure if I should bring it up.

Last edited by suebeehoneytree; 05-10-2005 at 01:11 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2005, 01:52 PM   #2
    TexasWildRose04
    Veteran
    (female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
    Re: Strange Smells?

Hi...First of all welcome to the board..... I am on Methadone, and Zanaflex.... and I on a regular basis, smell odd smells.... sometimes, downright awful smells, like something is rotten, and I will ask my partner, do you smell something, really nasty, and she will say no......and also I have a bad problem with anything I eat tasting SALTY! terribly terribly SALTY! and I am a huge salt fan... but I can not stand to eat salt anymore... I am not sure what this is from, have brought it up to my Pain Management Doc and she just says, "I really have no idea." Helpful huh? but I find this to be the typical answer I get from her most of the time... wish I knew what it was as well....Please do bring it up to your doc at your appointment and write back and let me know what they tell you... OK?

Take Care

TRose

Last edited by TexasWildRose04; 05-10-2005 at 01:53 PM.

Old 05-11-2005, 06:36 AM   #3
    suebeehoneytree
    (female)

suebeehoneytree HB User

Thanks TRose, I'll bring it up and let you know how things go on Friday.

Old 05-11-2005, 12:08 PM   #4
    PeachJam
    (female)

PeachJam HB User

These are both side affects of narcs. No worries once you come off of them they will stop. At the height of my narc intake I couldn't taste anything, it really sucked because I couldn't get that satisfied feeling after eating since everything tasted the same. It will go away when you come off of them though. For some people these types of side affects will taper off as you stay on the pills and you become more used to it.

Good luck!

Old 05-19-2005, 11:29 PM   #5
    ladybird988
    (female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User

I've noticed some foods taste funny with neurontin, but no smells. However, when I first started taking it, my brain yelled "eat or you'll die!" so I would be hunting down those cookies you are smelling and devouring them! If they existed, that is. Good thing they don't! At least you are smelling something good. Neurontin does weird things to me. I had the "everything looks underwater and I'm not in the room" feeling with blurred vision, but after decreasing it from 400 mg to 200 mg at a time, and giving it two months, I can now think and see again. It's a heavy duty med, that's for sure. So did you go out and buy some cookies?!

Closed Thread