It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Is there any way to determine a pinched nerve besides MRI?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-12-2005, 09:23 AM   #1
    txdave31

txdave31 HB User
    Is there any way to determine a pinched nerve besides MRI?

I went to my doctor on Monday even though I don't have health insurance. Unfortunately, he could not give me any reassurance that I don't have a pinched nerve. I've never dealt with anything like this, and it's depressing me. He told me that the MRI was the only way to tell, and it would cost me 1000 bucks at least. No way I can afford that.

He gave me some samples of a muscle relaxer, and I felt great the next day. No pain at all. He said if the pain is decreasing every day, that's a good sign, so my worry cloud lifted. Then last night, the pain came back on when I was sitting in one of those stadium seating chairs. I woke up today with pain, and this time, the pain has creeped up to the middle of my back. Would a pinched nerve do this? I just feel so cursed. I'm trying to find a job with this pain, and then last night, the engine light comes on in my car so now I have to worry about that.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2005, 09:37 AM   #2
    whackedback
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

whackedback HB Userwhackedback HB Userwhackedback HB User
    Re: Is there any way to determine a pinched nerve besides MRI?

Dave -

You may have a pinched nerve or a pulled/strained muscle. They could probably tell if the nerve was pinched by performing an EMG, but it can cost around the same as an MRI.

I'd say to get some more meds from your doctor and see if it goes away. Otherwise, you'll have to eat the $1000 or get health insurance.

wb

Old 05-12-2005, 11:17 AM   #3
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jdlfmc HB Userjdlfmc HB User

Like was already pointed out, I had several MRI'S and they didn't even indicate that a nerve was involved it wasn't until I had a EMG and by then permanant damage was already done, the EMg I had was even more then a 1000 and MRI'S are just as expensive if not more many places.
    Linda

Old 05-12-2005, 08:07 PM   #4
    telvanni
    (male)

telvanni HB User

Hi Dave. I have had two surgerys on my back to relieve a disk pinching a nerve so i know a good amout about this subject. First of all, if you took a muscle relaxer and the pain went away, you definatly do not have a pinched nerve. Nerve pain is probably close to the top of the worst pain possible list. The only meds that relieve nerve pain are strong opiates like vicodin, norco, and oxycontin. You probably would have been in the ER by now, i know i was.

This is great news for you. You probably just pulled some muscles. This is also quite painful but is relieved with diffrent meds (like muscle relaxers) and usually goes away within a week or two.

My advise is to go back to the doctor and get some more muscle relaxers if they helped and stay off your feet as much as possible until you feel better. Good Luck

Last edited by telvanni; 05-12-2005 at 08:09 PM.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:19 AM   #5
    JBravo223
    Inactive
    (male)

JBravo223 HB User

well my PT once said that I could tell by doing the following.

1) sit in a chair staring sitting straight up.
    2) then hunch forward and drop you head to your chest
    3) extend your straight leg out
    4) you may feel pain
    5) with your leg still extended, lift your head back up. If the pain goes away the nerve is probably pinched.

Try it on both legs.

What you are doing is stretching the nerve and if it is pinched it won't move and cause pain.

Closed Thread