It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• What is Laminectomy ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-31-2005, 04:18 AM   #1
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User
    What is Laminectomy ?

Sorry if this is a stupid question , But does anyone know what a laminectomy defect is ? I tried looking it up. But found no info. Is it another name for back surgery ? Got my x-ray results back, and the report claims I have a broken pedical screw and laminectomy defect is noted. Thanks for the feed back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2005, 05:36 AM   #2
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User
    Re: What is Laminectomy ?

[QUOTE=shawley]Sorry if this is a stupid question , But does anyone know what a laminectomy defect is ? I tried looking it up. But found no info. Is it another name for back surgery ? Got my x-ray results back, and the report claims I have a broken pedical screw and laminectomy defect is noted. Thanks for the feed back. [/QUOTE]Please ?

Old 05-31-2005, 06:20 AM   #3
    kaybee
    Inactive
    (female)

kaybee HB User

A laminectomy is a surgical procedure to relieve nerve impingement. A small portion of the bone over the nerve root is removed or disc material under the nerve root is removed so more space is provided. The word 'defect' in your question would imply that there is a problem with the laminectomy itself. That would be my interpretation but not being a dr. or radiologist...

karen

Old 05-31-2005, 07:14 AM   #4
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

I seem to remember seeing that on one of my reports. I think it just means that you've had a laminectomy and it shows. No more virgin spine.
    fly

Old 05-31-2005, 12:10 PM   #5
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Thanks, i didnt know had laminectomy surgery, I just thought I had a fusion. I know he replaced broken bone in my back with cadaver. Maybe I just worry to much, ?

Old 05-31-2005, 01:53 PM   #6
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

What do you mean I had a laminectomy ? Surgery ? Is that what it is ? My PM Doc is making me wear a back brace now ? Cause the screw broken ... ( pedical screw L5 )

Old 05-31-2005, 02:31 PM   #7
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

shawley,
    Here's what happened...
    You had a couple lamina bones removed to give some space to the nerves. Without these bones the back is less stable and usually needs reinforcement and thus you had a couple vertebra fused with the aid of screwing together a couple pedicles...these are the FIRST protruberances closest to the vertebra and connect the vertebral body with the lamina. The goal of the screwing was to prevent all motion until the fusion "took" and the bones fused together completely. The screws failed in their purpose.

So in summary you had a FAILED laminectomy caused by an improper fusion that went with it: the operation is usually called a LAMINECTOMY AND FUSION. I hope that loose screw doesn't cause you any problems.
    Actually the terminology in the report is kind of misleading, after all you DID have the laminectomy...removal of the lamina. It would have taken a REAL doof to cut you open and leave THAT in!

Do you have pain? How long ago was it done?

Last edited by Lenin; 05-31-2005 at 02:34 PM.

Old 06-01-2005, 02:53 AM   #8
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

The laminectomy didn't fail. You were shaved/scraped to open up the spinal canal. I don't know why the radiologist calls it a defect. The fusion stablilized your spine. The screw failed. I had a laminectomy for spinal stenosis and the surgeon mixed the scrapings from the laminectomy with BMP for my fusion. I also have 2 rods and 8 screws. Have you seen your OR notes? You can ask for them.
    fly

Old 06-01-2005, 04:30 AM   #9
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Fly,
    Sorry for sounding stupid, But what is a OR ? ( operation report ) ?
    And do you think my surgeon will take out the screw ? Here is my full report.
    "Again the pedical screws are noted at the L4-5 levels with a short segment harrington rods. Note is now made of a fracture in the right pedical screw at the L5 level. The laminectomy defect is again noted. The disc narrowing at the L4-5 . And L5-S1 remains stable with slight grade 1 spondylolisthesis of L4 on L5 " I have most pain in my left hip and leg. My screw is broke on the right ???? Thanks Fly,

Thanks alot Lenin.

Old 06-01-2005, 05:13 AM   #10
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

My surgeon gave me a copy of his/my OR notes. They tell what he did and how he did it. Did you ever call the OSS in Berwick at least for an opinion?
    fly

Old 06-01-2005, 06:32 AM   #11
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Fly,
    No I didnt. ( yet ) If my surgeon does nothing for my screw. I will call. Im just sick of all these doctors blowing me off. Im sure I will find out by tuesday if he will do anything . Im heading to Berwick on Monday,To see my daughter. I wander if I could swing in his office and talk to them ?

Old 06-01-2005, 09:11 AM   #12
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

You have his name, right? He's in the office building to the left of the hospital. He'll probably be in surgery but there will be someone in the office. Ask for Deb.
    fly

Last edited by flyonthewall; 06-01-2005 at 09:14 AM.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:12 AM   #13
    Lenin
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Shawley:
    "spondylolisthesis of L4 on L5" means that the instablility caused by the broken screw and the failed fusion has allowed the now less stable L4 (absent its lamina) to SLIDE FORWARD over the L5. Spondylolisthese usually equals PAIN because a nerve is usually pinched by the wandering vertebra. I think you will need another surgery to accomplish the fix; L4 will have to be brought into place and either screwed or fused in...probably not with another screw in the lamina, that ship might have sailed.
    Were I you, I would seek another surgeon and explore the option of suing the first guy...he botched the surgery and now his dirty work has to be cleaned up!

This kind of hackery is exactly why I went into a hospital for a fusion...got undressed, put on the smock...took it off, got dressed and went home...30 years ago. Smartest thing I ever did...if angels exist, mine intervened! Back surgery is still in the dark ages with it's screws and drills and hammers!

A friend (in early 20's had 4 fusion operations...one to repair the next!) She is now in more pain than when she started the torture!

Last edited by Lenin; 06-01-2005 at 09:24 AM.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:25 AM   #14
    flyonthewall
    Senior Veteran

flyonthewall HB User

Excuse me. I started out with grade 1-2 spondylolisthesis before surgery. My spine has now been fused/stabilized in that area. I still have grade 1 spondylolisthesis but it isn't going anywhere.
    fly

Old 06-01-2005, 03:41 PM   #15
    shawley
    Inactive
    (male)

shawley HB User

Fly I have it on a post, What was it again ? I will ask for Deb . Do you have a phone # where I could call ? Or a website . Thanks Fly I guess it cant hurt to TRY to get another opinion . ( If he will see me )

Last edited by moderator2; 06-02-2005 at 05:58 AM. Reason: please follow the posting rules - no phone #'s or websites

Closed Thread