It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Interesting fact about the lumbar spine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-11-2005, 09:47 PM   #1
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User
    Interesting fact about the lumbar spine

A short while ago I read a post in which the poster stated they had a problem at L6. The poster was advised that it couldn't be L6 as the lumbar spine only has 5 levels. Well this short blurp explains how not all of us have the same anatomy.

One of the most common causes for medical negligence is operating at the wrong level. Most patients have five lumbar vertebrae followed by the solid segments of the sacrum. About 5% of the population will have six lumbar vertebrae where one of the sacral segments is lumbarized or four lumbar vertebrae where the lowest lumbar segment is sacralized. This can confuse the surgeon. The radiographs may show the disc protrusion say at L4/5 level. If the fifth lumbar vertebra is sacralizred and fixed to the sacrum, the surgeon may be confused and operate at the L3/4 disc by mistake.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2005, 11:28 AM   #2
    lindabobinda
    (female)

lindabobinda HB User
    Re: Interesting fact about the lumbar spine

I have a transitional veb. that my PM has called L5-L6! As so when they do my procedures they don't go into the wrong level! Kinda scary thinking they could operate on the wrong level! My first reading of my MRI stated that before any surgery is done they need to do/get a true Lumbar count because of the trans. veb. Definitely interesting!

Old 06-12-2005, 01:14 PM   #3
    Nixona
    (male)

Nixona HB User
    Re: Interesting fact about the lumbar spine

I think it actually may be more common than 5% of the population, I know both my father and brother have an extra. That's one thing I'm glad I didn't inherit.

Closed Thread