It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Returning to sports - pars fracture

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2005, 12:09 PM   #1
    Shari-kim
    (female)

Shari-kim HB User
    Returning to sports - pars fracture

My 17 year old athletic son is near the end of the his months wearing a back brace for a L5 unilateral pars fracture. Wondering if others have returned to sports with a similar injury and what it was like? He has been braced for 12 weeks and not been playing sports competitively for 6 months. He is a volleyball player.

Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-27-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
    nsmatch
    (male)

nsmatch HB User
    Re: Returning to sports - pars fracture

There isn't much in the literature about this common occurence in young athletes, but here's what they say:

Since he has been braced for 12 weeks, one source recommends getting a CT scan of the area to see how healing has progressed. If the fracture looks as if it is matured, and he is pain free, then they recommend progressive return to the sport.

Since there is no official guideline, he has to be 1) pain free while doing nothing, 2) pain free with normal activity, 3) pain free with hyperextension (bending backwards), 4) pain free while doing normal volleyball activities, and 5) get the OK from your doctor.

Here's the reference for your doctor if you want to show him something:
    Herring S, Standaert CJ: The Spine in Sports: Re-evaluating the Diagnostic Assessment and Treatment of Spondylolysis in the Young Athlete. SpineLine 2001; 16-20.

Old 06-27-2005, 12:50 PM   #3
    Shari-kim
    (female)

Shari-kim HB User
    Re: Returning to sports - pars fracture

Thanks for the posting (this is my very first ever board). He'll have a CT and MRI at his 12 weeks to check progress (July 5th). What Im wondering is in some of my reading they've said that it may never heal - so does that mean if it never heals then it wont be painful? He doesnt have any pain at rest or doing activities (never has really), he just has pain when he hyperextends and hits the ball. He was off sports for 3 months, but not braced (March 2005), tried hitting a ball on the beach (he's a big beach player) and it hurt - so got an MRI and it said fracture - so 12 weeks of bracing now. Before he was just resting because bone scan said possible fracture, so he wanst supposed to be playing competitively - just resting.

Not sure what to do if it stills hurts, he is supposed to be in rehab all summer before returning to competition in September. I just wonder how others have returned to sports - competely pain fre??

Closed Thread