It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Radicular Pain & Topamax?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-04-2005, 05:35 AM   #31
    mkf
    Veteran
    (female)

mkf HB User
    Re: Radicular Pain & Topamax?

These posts all give me hope that my upcoming mri will show nothing new. It's actually the best that can happen. I'll ask to stay on the topamax for a while longer and muddle through. Thanks for your insights - I know I didn't start this thread but it's helped me lots. Becky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2005, 05:48 AM   #32
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User
    Smile Re: Radicular Pain & Topamax?

Linda
    I too have been told that nothing can be done and I walk with a cane (not too far) and have pain on a daily basis. Yesterday I decided to go out to the mall and buy myself a dress. As I walked along the familiar pain got worse and worse and I had to sit down and rest. I struggled along with my parcel which weighed next to nothing but was dragging me down determined to ignore just how bad I felt. All of a sudden while I walked I started to get depressed (unusual for me) I just felt so tired and beaten down. Guess I was feeling sorry for myself (which is allowed). I am human and do suffer from chronic nerve pain so I am not running off for antidepressants.

But sometimes it suddenly hits you just how handicapped you have become and it probably isn't going to get better. Most of the time I really don't dwell on it because if I did I would be depressed all the time. You just can't make it the focus of your life because it will end up suffocating you. So right now I sit here at my computer reasonably heathy (got nothing that is going to kill me) with only mild discomfort and the gray mood has passed.

By the way how old are you Linda? I am in my early sixties and have had back problems since my teens. Fusion 22 yrs old, 1 year terrible recovery, 6 yrs much improved and then it all went down hill from there so I have been putting up with this nerve pain for a very long time.

Old 07-04-2005, 07:03 AM   #33
    peepers566
    (female)

peepers566 HB User

Hi everyone,
    I too have radicular pain, I had a fusion in December but injuried my back 20 years ago. I when I asked the surgen about the nerve pain and when it would go away he said lets talk about it in another 2 years. I agree with everyone about the Neurontin I feel like I am in a fog all the time, this is my 1st month on it not sure if this feeling will go away. I see the doc tomorrow will ask if I can try something different. Anyhow this is my question, I have lots of nerve pain all the time in my feet and left leg but the more I walk when in pain the more problems I have tell it is diffcult to walk. I've noticed that I really have to think about walking or I shaffle my feet almost not lifting them up, sometimes I even trip.
    Do you guys have any of these problems too.

Thanks
    peepers

Old 07-04-2005, 07:09 AM   #34
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jdlfmc HB Userjdlfmc HB User

pooby, that brings back memories for me the first time my legs and feet went completly numb and I couldn't use them I was at the mall, I was leaving and in so much pain tears were rolling and I couldn't believe how rude people were almost knocking me over to get around me, then on the way home I lost the feeling and had to use my cane to work the pedals I was so scared.
    I'm 51 and have been this way for 6yrs I never had back problems til I fell at work and haven't had apain free day since.
    I also use a cane and most days my feet just drag I have a real hard time going up and down stairs, I'm learning my limitations just some days have a hard time listening to them.
    I trip all the time to peeepers so believe me your not alone.
    Maybe they will come up with somethig to help all of us, who knows..
    Linda

Old 07-04-2005, 09:52 AM   #35
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Oddly enough I don't have any numbness but only weakness. Everyone on here seems to have numbness. I don't (perhaps periodically to a small extent) but I sure have weakness. This past winter I couldn't lift my leg off the bed but still no numbness. I have been limping and unable to walk any distance without the limp coming on for the last 20 years. Oddly the limping was not from pain I just limped as my leg is weaker on the one side. Now I limp but I have pain in my leg when I put weight on it. Anyone else with permanent nerve damage with only weakness and pain not numbness?

Old 07-04-2005, 12:50 PM   #36
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

I don't have any numbness either. I do trip alot though and am always in pain.

As for the title of my thread here: I have decided not to take the Topamax until after the EMG & NCV Study. I think the Topamax will interfere with this. [U]Does anyone know for sure?[/U]
    I am afraid of messing it up and I really need the nerves & Muscles to react normally during the study.
    The PM Doc should be calling me tomorrow to set it up. If he's not busy, maybe I can get him to do it then.
    Thank's StarDust

Old 07-04-2005, 03:00 PM   #37
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Stardust, I was on gabitril when I had my EMG done which is like topamax and it did not interfer with the test at all, I had asked my dr about my meds before the test and he assured me they would not effect the test, he said nothing will effect the EMG as the way it is done there is no fooling it.
    I would be very careful with starting and stopping any med without dr care and especially a anti-convusant med like topomax.
    If y ou talk to your dr tommorow be sure and ask him about the meds and about stopping them just so you feel more secure in your choice.
    I'm wishing you the very best..
    Linda

Old 07-04-2005, 07:29 PM   #38
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

*K*
    Thank's Linda, I'll talk to him tomorrow morning. I wasn't sure if it would interfere or not. Am glad to hear it shouldn't.
    Do you ever take your pain meds and they work great and then one day you take them and they do nothing?
    I seem to be having one of those days...again. Just wondering if it is just me.
    I don't drink caffiene so I know that wouldn't cause it.
    Thank's,Terri

Old 07-05-2005, 06:10 AM   #39
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Terri, Sorry to hear that you are having a flare of pain, I really believe that it isn't the meds that are working one day and not the next, if it was the meds they wouldn't work at all any day, it is the difference in your pain level.
    Some days our pain is just higher then others and there isn't always a reason that we can see, it may be the weather, believe me the weather makes a difference or just something we did and didn't even realize it or more active the usual.
    I suffered for over 5 yrs before they did a EMG on me and I'll never forget the look on my PM drs face when he gave me the rsults and said the famous words" we have good news and bad news".
    I hope that you are able to get answers to your pain and pray that you have no permenent nerve damage, I myself am having some real bad pain days and wouldn't wish this on anyone..
    Linda

Old 07-05-2005, 06:24 AM   #40
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Linda

I too have better days and worse days. If you have scar tissue the weather definately makes a difference. On those gray overcast days the tissue swells hence more pressure on nerves. I have no idea why some days are better than others.

When I get a couple of good days I announced to my husband that I think I am getting better. Friends call and I say "yes I am definately improving".......yeh right I wish it were really so. Shortly thereafter that old familiar pain starts throbbing and I am back to square one. Like if I got one day without any pain it would be a miracle; but you can't help getting your hopes up when it lets up for a while.

Old 07-05-2005, 02:40 PM   #41
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Hi Guy's ,
    I heard from my New PM and he will see me next Tuesday and either do the EMG & NVS then or make a seperate appt for that and I will get the results immediatly. However my left hip is severely inflammed again, so I told him of how my Surgeon just rush's and jabs my hip quickly injects the meds that burn like fire and leaves for his next patient. I have to hold my mouth to keep from cussing him (if ya know what I mean).
    Anyway, he said, HE will do the next injection in my hip and continue my care for PM from now on. He thinks it is strange that the Surgeon said I have Bursitis in my left hip, but I never had it before...not until after my fusion ( no bone was taken for the fusion, He used a cage w/ sponge & BMP). It's so painful I can barely walk, and when I DO try to walk I have to hold onto my hip/upper leg.
    I am hoping I got lucky with this guy, He sounds like a caring PM and I hope he really is, when I finally get to meet him next week.
    I am so TIRED of being in PAIN all the time . This morning I didn't even get out of bed until 2pm and I have NO INTENTIONS of getting dressed today . Why bother? I have nothing else planned for the day, besides we are in the middle of a heat wave(112 degree's in the sun and ordered to stay indoors).
    Yep, Guess it's one of those days.
    [U]Got a personal question, so if ya don't wanna know then stop reading.....*K*[/U] What does everyone do about sex? Hubby has been so sweet not expecting anything from me, knowing how much pain I am in. But we both have needs. I don't know about you guys, but I am sick of being on pain killers and when we have sex and I don't get anything out of it, but can't stand the pain if I DON'T take anything. Is there a Happy Medium somewhere ?
    Thank's,
    StarDust

Old 07-05-2005, 03:59 PM   #42
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Stardust, Sounds like you have found a keeper with the new Pm dr, hope that he's as good as he sounds.
    As for the sex ?? I have yet to find a medium, between the pain, the meds,
    I have lost all intrest in sex and it isn't making for a healthy relationship.
    I hope that someone can give you a better answer.
    Linda

Old 07-05-2005, 10:17 PM   #43
    ladybird988
    (female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User

I can't even imagine having sex with this. Any pressure on the lower back starts the pain. Can't bend at all. The gynecologist couldn't even do the female exam on me, the speculum hurt too bad and when she pressed on my abdomen, it hurt so bad, she had to quit the exam altogether. She said it was those nerves radiating around to the pelvis. So I can't answer your question. I've resigned myself to no sex. I just want to be pain free and able to walk without pain and a limp. I worry my husband will throw me away because I'm disabled now. He says he can handle it and it's okay, but I worry. More about not being able to hike and do the things we used to do, rather than the sex.

As for the foot going out at the mall, it always seems to happen at the mall or Sams club, where there are concrete floors, doesn't it? It is embarassing and scary because like you, I cannot move my leg and foot and can barely get back to the car. People stare horrified as you limp along, dragging the leg. One of these days I'm gonna get stuck unable to get back to the car and have to convince people not to call an ambulance, just let me take a pain pill and lay down somewhere. So I am careful where I go and for how long. It's so limiting and depressing. What do you do? I talk about doing this and that and it used to be my husband encouraged me to push the limit, but now he says "I wouldn't go there or do that...you just won't be able to, you'll get into trouble with your foot."

I spent the 4th alone, unable to go anywhere to do anything because it required too much walking, and unable to host like I usually do because by evening I can hardly walk. He went backpacking and I stayed home alone in tears wondering what life has come to. But happy he was having fun. I've come to the conclusion that I cannot do for everyone else anymore, and need others to do for me now. That just is the way it is.

Sorry, this is depressing. Another night of pain with little sleep. Getting 3 hours a night isn't cutting it.

Old 07-06-2005, 05:29 AM   #44
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybird, You allowed to feel the way you do and I b elive it wouldn't be normal if you didn't get deppressed once in awhile, just don't let yourself dweoo in that cornor for long..
    I could have wrote your post(except hiking never was my thing, to much like work) My husband had been great through all this and at times I know he has to get feed up, he always sayd what bothers him the most is not being able to "fix" it. He won't go anywhere with out me and just recently has started to do a few things but even then he is on the cell all the time checking on me, he is a truck driver and on the road and he drives me crazy calling, I don't blame him really it just makes me feel even more disabled.
    It's got to where all I hear from my famliy and now even my grandkids is"are you okay" I understand they care but it is a constant reminder that I'm not okay, and I can't bring myself to just say the truth and "NO I'M NOT OKAY".
    There is no way to know how long I can walk or what I will be doing when my legs give out, I have however done a few things to try and help,
    1. I never leave the house now with out my cane.
    2. I got a handicap card.
    3. I map out my route to where I'm going to take the least time.
    4. I make a list for what I need in each store and write in the order the store is laid out.
    5.I try to sit down and rest in between errands.
    Sure isn't much fun living this way but it helps it doesn't always work, I have had to leave stores with my cart sitting because the pain was to bad and the legs going.
    Ladybird, it worries me about the sex mt husband never has complained and says it okay but he is 10 yrs younger then me to begin with and he is gone so much. I really trust him and know he loves me, I also know he is human..
    I can't remember the last time I had a nights sleep or did even get sleep and feel rested and alert when I get up.
    I was always a morning person, I got up about 4:30 am and loved my mornings, now I drag myself out of bed when I can and it takes me at least 3 hrs to be able to move.
    You see your not alone, doesn't help much I know but sometimes it helps to know that.
    Linda

Old 07-06-2005, 08:04 AM   #45
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

No you don't have to be sorry. On this board you are allowed to express yourself without any judgement. Some of us are living with a lot of pain with no real end in site so getting down in the dumps is not something to hide or be ashamed of.

On the subject of doing things. I find I can ride my bike better than I can walk. Somehow pedaling along in low gear allows my weaker leg to manage better with the stronger leg helping. A friend of mine (in good faith) chastised me for putting myself up on a bike for fear that I would fall. Well I have ridden a bike all my life and to hell with the I might fall. I just put my folding cane in the carrier basket.....lol

I want to go to the Smithsonian Institute as I have never seen it. Well, I will lay down in the back sit of the car on the way and my husband will get me a chair to push me around when we get there. I have been living with this all of my adult life and I don't intend to curl up and die in some corner.

I made an appt with my family doctor and when I see her I am getting an appt with a highly respected neurosurgeon. Either he can do something for me or I am determined to get some good pain management. I am a Canadian and believe me up here getting any narcotics is like pulling teeth. Guess they think we will all become dope addicts. The way I look at it does it really matter. I think not. If an addictive pain medicine can help me to live a fuller life who gives a hoot.

So complain, cry and moan on here. It is a very safe and easy outlet.

I will now go and lie down on my back of course (never my side).....lol

Big Hug
    Pooby (just an old bag)

Closed Thread