It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Radicular Pain & Topamax?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2005, 12:04 PM   #61
    BettyJ

BettyJ HB User
    Re: Radicular Pain & Topamax?

Hey Stardust....it sounds like you have really had a time with that nerve.....What if anything have they said they can do with it at all? you know it is one of THE most important nerves in our body.....I recall seeing a show about plastic surgery.....a woman wanted to have butt implants but the dr...actually it was dr 90210....he said....No Way would he do the surgery on her because of the sciatic nerve and the liklihood if it got nicked it could do tremendous damage.....In my case, my hip pain, on right side is just in the hip, it doesn't go down the leg.....but this would be my concern since it is interfering with your foot so bad.....not to scare you or anything....but I ran into a woman that worked at the PD I worked at before all this started in my life, she was telling me about her horrible ordeal right at the end of childbirth last year....she said she had a really bad herniated disc as a result of carrying a ten lb baby....the pain in her leg was really bad, it affected her walking, and her foot also.....They told her had she not had the surgery...she would have gotten "foot drop"....and not been able to use her foot.....or it would have been terribly weak.....I also worked with a woman who had that....she limped and had a generally hard time keeping her balance....

I believe that some drs like to take a wait and see approach and in the meantime, years can go by.....when I had the tumor removed in Oct 03.....the PM dr I went to and others assumed that the nerve was just so beat up from removing a tumor off of it...that pain was essential and necessary to heal......in the meantime, I am taking meds that I don't want to take, and suffering with the pain when more measures should have been made to get to the bottom of some of it.....I went from Oct 03 till now with no one telling me that the problem could possibly be the muscle this nerve controlled.....in which case, therapy of a different method could have been used.....your right....you do not want to become a statistic of chronic pain.....because after a certain amount of time, you change and are never the same again....someone earlier had mentioned that some people wear their pain like a badge of honor.....which of course I cannot believe....no one would want to wear that badge....it gets you no where in life and carries no authority.....so do whatever you can to make sure these doctors do not let you fall in that category ....take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2005, 04:20 PM   #62
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Hi Betty,
    I saw the same thing on the Discovery Channel about people getting butt implants and how dangerous it is. If they knew only HALF of how we felt, I don't think they would take that chance.
    Mine began as just hip pain after the first surgery and it had gotten to where I couldn't walk anymore, that's when he found the bone stuck into the nerve.
    And I am not a wait & see type of person, I want my life back -Yesterday.
    I agree, someone wanting to wear pain like a badge of honor sounds crazy, I just want OUT of pain.
    He is going to try a EMG, MRI, Massage Therapy, Trigger Point, Accupunture, everything that is needed. Starting immediatly.
    I really hope this is not a pinched nerve and it does get better, he is going to do everything he can to help me.
    Stardust

Old 07-13-2005, 04:36 PM   #63
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User
    Smile Re: Radicular Pain & Topamax?

Glad to here that you are making some progress in getting some action. At least you will feel like you are actively participating in your recovery instead of waiting for some improvement to happen on its own. Everything you stated that you are going to begin can only help as sitting around doing nothing is for sure a no win situation, not only physically but also for your mental health. The bad part about these nerves is that any injury or inflammation can take so long to mend or regenerate. The waiting, the not knowing whether things will ever settle down is very taxing and in the process make our lives hell. I pray that things truly improve. God bless you and keep you strong.

Hugs
    pooby

Old 07-13-2005, 05:11 PM   #64
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Thank You Pooby, I really appriciate your support. I just cannot let the Surgeon do a "Wait & See" on me. Not after reading some of the posts about how fast things can become permanent.
    Even if it takes time, as long as i am doing SOMETHING, I think it will be ok. My Surgeon is an Orthopedic/Neurosurgeon and I trust him completely. However when he goes home at night I am sure he is not thinking of me being in pain, taking pain meds or not sleeping.
    But I think this new PM is on the right track at least.
    Stardust

Old 07-17-2005, 05:41 PM   #65
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Hi Guy's ,
    I recieved my Key to the treadmill and have been walking briskly for 1 mile a day. My left leg is more painful and stiff now. Isn't walking suppose to be good for Sciatica? Or am I out of shape from the 2 surgery's?
    StarDust

Old 07-18-2005, 10:44 PM   #66
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Well Guy's,
    Tomorrow is the big day for my EMG & NCS. I am getting really scared now, even though I need to know the answers as to whether there is a pinched nerve or what is going on in there, I am going alone, once again.
    I'll let you guys know what he says.
    If anyone knows how they do this and should I expect any pain, please let me know in advance so I am prepared.
    Thanks,
    StarDust

Old 07-19-2005, 05:25 AM   #67
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jdlfmc HB Userjdlfmc HB User

Hi Stardust, Well the day is finally about here. I was never nervous about my EMG, strange huh?
    I went to mine alone to and it really wan't bad, it was uncomfrotable but I can't say painful. I had a really nice neuro that did mine and he talked to me a lot during the test and it went fast, to bad I really like him and right after he got called up to go overseas.
    Truthfully I guess I really didn't expect mine to show anything, it seemed I had been through so much and so many test and procedures and still didn't have any answers that by the time I had the EMG I didn't expect any from it, got suprised there.
    Know that I'll be thinking of yu and hope that yours goes as easy for you as mine did.
    Good luck, Linda

Old 07-19-2005, 02:18 PM   #68
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
    I need ADVICE, PLEASE!!!
    Just returned from my EMG (fun,fun,fun). Immediatly showed a pinched nerve of the S1 & L5 where my Fusion was. AND where the second surgery was!
    He flipped really quickly and said he won't put me on the Methadone, he put me on Duragesic Fentanyl Patch's 25mcg instead.
    He set me up for Massage Therapy & Trigger Point Injections. He say's I don't need to return to the Surgeon as he thinks he can MASSAGE it out. Is this even POSSIBLE????
    I called and left a message at the Surgeons office letting them know the findings even though he won't be back in the office until the 29th.
    Any Info would be a GodSend, Good or Bad.Thanx,
    StarDust

Old 07-19-2005, 04:15 PM   #69
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

So sorry to hear the nerve has been pinched, I really can't offer any advice as to rather the sugestions he has made will help or not, by the time mne was found it was to late and permanant.
    It sounds though as if the dr is hopeful..
    I will say though I was on the 50mg patch for a over a year and it didn't help me much, especially for the nerve pain and it never lasted 72hrs which it is rx'ed for but a max of 48hrs and ususally less..
    I hope some one else can give you beter advice and again I'm soory the news wasn't better, as I said though it sounds as if the dr believes it can be reversed..
    Best of luck.
    Linda

Last edited by jdlfmc; 07-19-2005 at 04:51 PM.

Old 07-21-2005, 10:04 PM   #70
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Now the shock has worn off (I never really expected the nerve to be pinched), My PM had me go in today for TENS, Massage Therapy, Gentle Muscle Stretching & then Iced it.
    They said since my left hip & thigh, down to my knee has no feeling at all, not even when he put the needle there for the EMG and my left hip is 3X the size of my right one, he is going to get the Swelling down & Inflammation to go away. Get things back to as normal as possible, then request the Surgeon to take care of the Pinched Nerve.
    He put me on 25mcg Fentanyl Patches, I haven't tried them yet, gotta get the money to pick them up from the Pharmacy.
    So I am dealing with this the best as I can for now.
    I've never felt so much pain in my entire life!
    Hubby gave me one of his canes, since I can't even stand on my own, sitting is just as bad.
    But sounds like he's on the right track. Nobody in his office could read his writing as I was getting mixed orders. I finally called and talked to his PA, she read the order and explained all this to me.
    He CAN'T massage out the Pinched Nerve. They told me wrong. He is just trying to get the swelling & inflammation to go away.
    Also to continue walking a mile a day on the treadmill, However he looked at me funny when I told him, the numbness is spreading faster when I walk my mile on the treadmill.
    I think when the swelling is gone we will find out more about how bad the Nerve is Pinched.
    StarDust

Old 07-22-2005, 05:36 AM   #71
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Stardust, Are you suppose to be walking a mile, I can't imagine it, I can barely walk from one end of the house to the other, it seems that all that waling is going to only keep the nerve inflammed more??
    Linda

Old 07-22-2005, 09:12 AM   #72
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Hi Linda,
    Yes, Actually he said it's the best thing I can do for it. Late last night after all the therapy that day, I noticed I wasn't is so much pain, I actually could turn over in bed and not get up first and then turn. So something is working. Maybe the swelling is going down, I read somewhere that a nerve can be pinched by swelling in that area.
    I have to clean house today, so we'll see if it begins to get worse again.
    My next Therapy is Monday, It's painful, but I think it's working.
    Stardust

Old 07-22-2005, 06:59 PM   #73
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Yes it is true about swelling compressing the nerve. When you lay down at night fluids will pool and create pressure. We all know how a tooth will ache so much more when we lie down as fluids pool and create more pressure and swelling.

The same is true of a compressed nerve. My night time sciatica always got quite bad if I didn't constantly change position. One of the reasons is that swelling goes with inflammation and if there is any compression on the nerve it only gets worse. So compression creates inflammation and inflammation creates swelling jeeez....lol and the nerve gets compressed more. That is one of the reasons that epidural steroids can work. They reduce inflammation and in turn take some of the swelling out of the nerve hence making the nerve less compressed......whew is that a mouthful or what!!!!!

Also like to say I tried the treadmill like an idiot....lol was lying on top of the handle dragging my leg along hmmmm next time I think I will try the cane on the treadmill. By the way pushing my grandnieces stroller was better than using my cane. Like a walker with wheels. On that note I will say I am getting fed up with hobbling about. Sigh! My doctor is sending me to a neurosurgeon but she isn't too hopeful....I got a lot of years behind me with this crud. It really doesn't get any easier..

Old 07-22-2005, 10:00 PM   #74
    sandollar
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

sandollar HB User

Pooby,
    I'm sorry to hear about your leg. I hope the Neurosurgeon can do something, anything!
    Since this is such a cycle, I am getting a better idea of what is happening, just from what you said.
    After the Fusion on February 2nd, My left hip & thigh swelled so bad I couldn't walk. My Doc told me I had Bursitis and did an injection in his office that worked great, burned really bad, but worked anyway.
    It always bothered me since I never had Bursitis BEFORE the fusion. Then when I could no longer walk, he went back in on May 4th and found a piece of bone stuck in the Sciatic Nerve, he removed it and replaced the hardware for the fusion. Again- Bursitis, and another injection.
    I never believed that.
    So when I insisted on this EMG to check for a pinched nerve, he never returned my calls and had previously told me there was no way it could be a pinched nerve. That's when I sought out my Family Doc & had HIM order it. I think I was in total Shock to realize I was right all along.
    But where does it go from here?
    Once PM gets the Inflammation & Swelling down, do they have the Surgeon fix the Nerve? Or is it possible to really get better on it's own if it doesn't have all the swelling compressing it?
    Personally I can't see any end in site because everytime I think it is beginning to get better, it all starts all over again.
    I've been looking into Information on a Laminectomy and see if maybe he should take just a tiny pinch of bone off to let the Nerve Breathe and Heal.
    Does this make any sense?
    StarDust

Old 07-22-2005, 10:58 PM   #75
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Well one thing the nerve can give painful signals long after it has been decompressed. Yours has probably been bashed quite a bit. But don't give up nerves do regenerate but it can take a couple of years to do so. Get the swelling and inflammation down and perhaps it will start to get better on it's own. Surgeon sounds like a jerk for not returning your calls. Guess he didn't feel like being second guessed on his surgical expertise....(didn't like to admit he may be wrong). Bursitis sounds like a bunch of bull to me.

Last edited by pooby; 07-22-2005 at 10:59 PM.

Closed Thread