It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Botox 4 Muscle Problems

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2005, 07:04 PM   #1
    BettyJ

BettyJ HB User
    Botox 4 Muscle Problems

I was wondering if any doctor has discussed injecting Botox into anyones muscles, joints etc?? I ask because a few months ago, my PM dr asked if I had ever heard of Botox injections for tight muscle groups? I had not. ...

He then went on to say that my insurance wouldn't cover it anyway, then refused to talk to me about it anymore. He doesn't do the injections, a neurologist would have to.....However, since I have discovered that the problems I am having is directly related to a damaged muscle from a damaged S1 nerve, I called my insurance, they said they would cover if medically necessary......This botox would go in my hip....so it would not be for cosmetics of course....

I did a search on this topic, but didn't really find what I was looking for.....so I thought I would ask if anyone here has had this or heard of any good coming from these injections.....I know recently there was a dr in the news who had injected 4 patients with actual botox, which killed them.....but, he was practicing really bad medicine...I would be sure I had the proper type before getting it.....

any thoughts??? thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2005, 07:23 PM   #2
    Quietcook
    Inactive
    (female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
    Re: Botox 4 Muscle Problems

xxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by Quietcook; 07-16-2005 at 08:01 AM.

Old 07-14-2005, 04:21 AM   #3
    mkf
    Veteran
    (female)

mkf HB User

I actually know a family whose child recently had botox injection in leg I believe so muscle would be less atrophied. seems to be working. Other than that I don't know lots about it.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:49 AM   #4
    Brooke M
    (female)

Brooke M HB User

Hi,

Im glad someone has brought this up as this is what my neuro's are suggesting for me. I am 13 months out from my second fusion of L5S1. When i am having a good run with my back I will experience some kind of discomfrt everyday but it isnt noteworthy. When i am having a bad run i'm in constant pain for 6 weeks running no releif even from meds.

It is that bad it stuffs my life around too much. Mysurgeon's suggested intramuscular injections. One of my lecturers (im studying exercise science (rehab)) said that these are most likely botox. As i believe it they are ether botox or local anasthetic.

Botox creates tone in the area (as with cosmteic surgery) but as i understand it, botox also acts a relaxant for over-active/ spasming muscles. My piriformis, psoas and other muscles (thoracolumbar region) and SI joint are all ikely targets because together they create a lot of pain through their sheer tightness. I tried physio every week for about 6 hours a week for 10 weeks to try and losen the muscless..not avail.. im now trying to decide whether to have these injections.

Firstly it's a pain thing for me, i am very scared of needles let alone ones that go as deep as these would. Secondly, i am concerned about the effect anathetising stabilizing muscles would have on my overal functioning as the muscles would not longer be able to stabilise their region because they'd be silenced basically, but then what good are they doing now if all they are doing is spasming?

So, long of the short is...i'm up in the air about it too.

Brooke

Old 07-14-2005, 07:24 PM   #5
    BettyJ

BettyJ HB User

I am going to try to find out what I can about the injections of botox.. ..My PM dr brought it up when I told him how tightly wound the muscle was all the time....he said it was to relax the muscle....i asked him if there was anything injectable that could give a muscle some new life while in the healing mode such as from nerve damage.....he said none he knew of.....however, wasn't collagen used to regenerate? I am not sure what....but I can recall reading about collagen injections for a variety of reasons.....I just don't understand why I read about breakthrough treatments, but can rarely find a dr in my area that does any of them.......

I would be up to trying botox when and if I can get my dr and my insurance company insync.....and I would definitely come back and report on it's results.....I hope someone stumbles on this thread and can give us some more feedback on this.....

Closed Thread