It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Fentanyl - any idea what to expect from nausea?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-13-2005, 08:47 PM   #1
    Vuitton70
    (female)

Vuitton70 HB User
    Fentanyl - any idea what to expect from nausea?

Everything except Vicoden 5/500 makes me SO sick to my stomach. My doseage is getting high and the relief getting low through the night. I have tried Norco, Percocet, MS contin, Nortriptyline (sp?) and have either no relief or *extreme* nausea.

So, Dr. prescribed Fentanyl patch, 25 mg. I wonder if I'll be able to tolerate it. I am afraid to even put one on. Thanks for the help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2005, 02:33 AM   #2
    Josie115
    Inactive

Josie115 HB User
    Re: Fentanyl - any idea what to expect from nausea?

I know exactly what you are going through. I have been on vicodans for 5 years. During that time, we tried all kinds of narcotic pain meds. I had surgery during all of that and tried high doses of pretty much everything after surgery..did nothing. Nothing. Went back to the good old vicodan. For some reason, it worked for me. LA morphine made me vomit. I'd be out..and wham..up it would come. Went back to vicodans. I just went on the fentanyl patch on Monday. I had the exact same concerns...besides it was 75 mcg/hr not the 25 and everyone sort of scared me about it including the pharmisist that really was trying to help but left me feeling like this dose was a HUGE and dangerous amount, based on what I had currently been on. I was nervous about the nausea and figured..well...I'll give it a whirl. Nothing. Pain control good..no nauseua. Keep in mind that it takes awhile to get it into your system. I've heard at least 17 hrs. to 32 hrs. and I've heard you need several doses.. patch changes. The second night I felt somewhat dizzy..or blurred a bit..went to bed early. I did use the vicodans the first day for BT pain. The next day, (yesterday) was the first day I haven't taken a vicodan in years.

I sure hope this works for you. I was nervous..had the same reservations you have, and so far..great. Good luck and go for it.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:06 AM   #3
    Vuitton70
    (female)

Vuitton70 HB User

Thanks - your post is very encouraging! I just hope this works out. I have read on the PM board that the brand I was given (mylan) is not as effective as other brands. Do you mind me asking which one you are using? Also, my Dr. had suggested methadone or the patch and my not knowing enough about methadone kept me from trying it.

Jeez, I just want all this pain to go away & I be able to play tennis with my daughter again! Thanks again!

Old 07-14-2005, 01:53 PM   #4
    boobooback
    (female)

boobooback HB User

If that is the Durgesic patch I was hospitalized twice on the thing! I now can't have Fentanyl when I go under! I have gotten sick on Viciton, Avinza, Diladid, the only thing that I can tolerate is Oxycoton. I wish my dr would of put me on that right off the bat!

Take care and good luck,
    Linda

Old 07-14-2005, 02:50 PM   #5
    Josie115
    Inactive

Josie115 HB User

I was worried after reading some of the posts on the pm board, but I've found the patch is working. I found that I needed 1 vicodan this afternoon, but I'm now at the end of the 72 hrs. I have not been sick to my stomach at all. Yippeeee.. so far, so good.

BooBooBack.. what about the patch put you in the hospital? I've heard plenty of do's and don'ts and was a bit worried about going to such a high dose, but I have not had any problems. Not feeling "drugged" other than just a bit on the second night..any thing I should watch out for?

I'm sorry you can't use it..I hope that you are getting some success with what you are taking.

Old 07-14-2005, 02:51 PM   #6
    Josie115
    Inactive

Josie115 HB User

I forgot...I'm on the one they said was bad. I figured that since I haven't been on the "good ones"..than, I won't really know the difference..I may try someday to look for the good one..mine is the Mylan...but what do I know??

Old 07-14-2005, 03:33 PM   #7
    boobooback
    (female)

boobooback HB User

It was the second day that I started having reactions, body was tingling from head to toe, body was limp, lathergic (sp) body was cold to the touch, major dry mouth and lips, was pale white, dizzy, headache, it was so weird! They said they thought it was my medicines together that cause the reactions. So I stopped all meds and waited a week and started the patch again and bang the same thing. It was horrible!

Old 07-14-2005, 04:15 PM   #8
    Vuitton70
    (female)

Vuitton70 HB User

So you have the mylan too...ok, I may muster up the nerve to stick one on tonight. I may drive you nuts with questions afterwards, lol!

Thanks again!

Closed Thread