It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Sciatic pain...can it go here?????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-16-2005, 06:46 PM   #1
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User
    Sciatic pain...can it go here?????

Anyone have sciatic pain that goes to the genital area (females)? What do you do for it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2005, 07:05 PM   #2
    TexasWildRose04
    Veteran
    (female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User
    Re: Sciatic pain...can it go here?????

[QUOTE=singer1]Anyone have sciatic pain that goes to the genital area (females)? What do you do for it?[/QUOTE]

YES... Sciatica pain can go to the genital area....only thing that can really be done for it is take my perscribed pain meds and hope it helps... sometimes it does, sometimes it does not.....but if you have a herniated disc or something that has been detected by MRI or other tests, that is compressing a nerve and causing this pain, you need to have something done to relieve that nerve compression and hopefully relieve the sciatica and genital pain....surgery most likely.... Have you been to the doctor and had it checked out? Have you had a MRI, with and without contrast or a Myelogram, a Discogram, a EMG/NCV test....lots of things that can help pinpoint what is causin the pain?

TRose

Old 07-16-2005, 07:29 PM   #3
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User

I have had xrays on my back and Dr. said that there were some places that he could see why I had pain, but nothing too bad. What kind of pain meds do you recommend? I have IB Profen 800 mg, Midrin, that's about it!

Old 07-16-2005, 09:03 PM   #4
    TexasWildRose04
    Veteran
    (female)

TexasWildRose04 HB User

[QUOTE=singer1]I have had xrays on my back and Dr. said that there were some places that he could see why I had pain, but nothing too bad. What kind of pain meds do you recommend? I have IB Profen 800 mg, Midrin, that's about it![/QUOTE]

Well Like I said before, You need to go and have more tests to pinpoint exactly what it causing your pain... XRays only show bone, they do not show muscle and nerve problems... which from the sounds of it you may have some nerve involvement since you are having pain in the genital area.... I had a herniated disc at L5-S1.. had a Laminectomy/Discectomy back in June 2004... had pain in the genital area before surgery, and now still after because I have nerve damage, because my nerve was compressed for so long before the surgery.... I am on 20 Mg Methadone 3 times a day for pain... Zanaflex at bedtime, Elavil at bedtime, and also Zoloft....the Methadone helps somewhat for the pain... but not completely..... but as far as IB 800 mg.... that definately would not touch my pain..... You probably need something stronger like Vicodin, or something along that line... but you really need to get in and get a MRI to see exactly what it causing your problem...and get it fixed.... If your doctor said he didnt see anything on the XRay that bad... he should have told you he would send you for a MRI to get more indepth information... and also... Did you mention the genital pain to him? If not you need to....Good Luck

TRose

Old 07-16-2005, 09:16 PM   #5
    ladybird988
    (female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User

A nerve compressed in the spine can cause genital pain, yes. I had back surgery at L4/L5 a year ago and could not get my female exam a year later due to pain when she put the speculum in and when she pressed on my pelvis from the inside. It can radiate around to the pelvis.

But many things can cause genital pain. Do you have a back problem? Endometriosis can cause it and even ovarian cancer. Have you seen the gynecologist? I wouldn't put it off. It's a sign something is wrong.

Old 07-17-2005, 06:34 AM   #6
    tajsumnr
    (female)

tajsumnr HB User

[QUOTE=ladybird988]A nerve compressed in the spine can cause genital pain, yes.

After my first herniation, I had numbness and a very deep, deep cold sensation in the genital, buttock, leg, and feet areas. My dr. said it's type of paralysis, I think. I had this in concert with many other symptoms of pain in my back and feet.

Tajsumnr

Old 07-17-2005, 07:22 AM   #7
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User

Ladybird,

I go for an ultrasound tomorrow on the ovaries, would that ultrasound really show anything serious? 42 and falling apart, I tell ya!!!!!

Old 07-18-2005, 09:02 PM   #8
    ladybird988
    (female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User

Singer,

Sorry for getting back to you late. Did you get your ultrasound?

I've had lots of female problems, and almost died twice from them. One was a football sized ovarian cyst at age 19, and YES, the ultrasound picked up some of that. It had wrapped around my right kidney and they couldn't see my kidney on the ultrasound! It showed my ovary was three times its normal size.

And one was ovarian cancer at age 32.

Ultrasounds are great diagnostic tools. Glad you are looking into it. Hope all is well.

I have to say I was scared when I had pain in the pelvis with this last female exam due to my history with female problems, but with my back surgery and damaged nerve and a complete hysterectomy and nothing left to cause pain, I figured it was the nerve and the gynecologist and back doctor agreed it could radiate to the pelvis and was probably the cause of my pelvic pain.

Old 07-19-2005, 04:01 PM   #9
    singer1
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

singer1 HB User

Had the Ultrasound and everything looked fine. Not that I want anything to be wrong, but it's so frustrating to think you may be looking at the wrong Dr. for the problem! My Mom had back surgery too and she has had nothing but nerve problems because of the damage that was done from the surgery. How are you feeling now?

Old 07-20-2005, 10:05 PM   #10
    erfan
    (male)

erfan HB User

I have 4 herniated discs, stenosis and sclerosis and yes, my sciatica pain goes into my buttocks and down into my groin. Currently I am on the 75 mcg Duragesic patch and 30 mg Roxicodone for BT.

Sciatica is just one of the pains I get, including pains up and down the spine and a fierece pain from impingement of the thecal sac.

No, 800 mg of IB is NOT going to cut it. I suggest asking your GP about a referrel to a Pain Management Doctor.

Alan

Old 07-21-2005, 09:21 PM   #11
    Ed276
    (male)

Ed276 HB User

if not a herniated disc what else can cause genital pain

Old 07-21-2005, 09:26 PM   #12
    erfan
    (male)

erfan HB User

Well, speaking as a male, a kick in the, well, you know where I mean!

Alan

Old 07-21-2005, 09:30 PM   #13
    Ed276
    (male)

Ed276 HB User

i know that can ddd cause genital pain

Old 07-21-2005, 09:51 PM   #14
    injured betty
    Inactive
    (female)

injured betty HB User

[QUOTE=singer1]Anyone have sciatic pain that goes to the genital area (females)? What do you do for it?[/QUOTE]

I had a torn ligament that caused pain in the hip, the groin and the back. I had a couple of ultrasounds before they realized that it was ligament related.

good luck,

Old 07-22-2005, 06:31 AM   #15
    Ed276
    (male)

Ed276 HB User

does a mri show a torn ligament

Closed Thread