It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Discectomy SP? doesnt help back pain???????

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-30-2005, 10:15 PM   #1
    Parks71

Parks71 HB User
    Discectomy SP? doesnt help back pain???????

I got a second opinion today and he told me the discectomy will not help back pain, it only helps leg pain. This just doesnt make sense to me because I didnt have back pain before it herninated, then it herninates, I have back pain, no real leg pain to speak of. So, if you remove what came out, my back pain should be gone or better??

The MRI shows it on a nerve, and my pain is on my right side, no where near my spine. Anyone know any info about this?

The first ortho I seen wants to give me 3 fusions and thats a no way for me unless I cant walk, Id like them to just cut out the hernination. Any info woudl be great

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2005, 11:02 PM   #2
    bshire
    (male)

bshire HB User
    Exclamation Re: Discectomy SP? doesnt help back pain???????

hey there,
    i would tell you all the answers, but unfortunately i have the same situation. i too am an injured person. L4-5 L5-S1 herniations. i also dont have any leg pain. assuming you dont from your message. unless i didnt understand.? sounded like you just have back pain. in my case, doctors dont want to cut on me because i dont have sciatic problems. i thought the same situation "if its the disc thats causing the pain, then how can cutting it out not help"?? makes sense, but i guess studies show that back pain isnt resolved by surgery unless there is a leg symptom. but then, you talk with people that have only back pain, have a fusion and start life all over again pain free. i guess it a flip of the coin. not great odds.? i had IDET and am 13 weeks post surgery and still waiting to see any success. reply when you can, god bless, bshire

Old 07-30-2005, 11:09 PM   #3
    Losy
    Veteran
    (male)

Losy HB User
    Re: Discectomy SP? doesnt help back pain???????

I was once told localised pain was far better than referred but it still doesnt answer your question. Pressure on the nerve causes referred pain - legs, buttocks, feet etc. Unless you r experiencing these symptoms it is unlikely that a surg will operate. What type of rehab/physio have you been undertaking. This may be the key to your recovery. Good luck

Losy

Old 07-31-2005, 07:40 AM   #4
    EmtShirl
    Veteran
    (female)

EmtShirl HB User
    Smile Re: Discectomy SP? doesnt help back pain???????

have heard and been told what Losy has been told also.If you just have back pain it is not a good reason to have surgery and most surgeons will not do surgery for just BP. I am a bit confused because you first posted you have back pain and no real leg pain to speak of. Then later you say your pain is on the right side no where near your spine????

Parks ~ I understand you have BP and no other symptoms and when you have surgery for this.... that is "if" you do? You have to remember you may have more pain just because you had surgery. What I mean is scar tissue can cause pain. I know you said a discectomy... will it be a Microdiscectomy? The pain you feel in the place other then your back is called refereed pain.

Losy ~ You are right that localized pain is better then refereed.

At this time I have had 7 spine surgeries. Three were cervical and 4 were lumbar and I am 41 Y/O and I am sure this won't be the last I am sorry to say. Right now I am doing very well and feel almost like a normal person. I have 2 levels lumbar disc's left with problems and 3 cervical levels with problems but at this time my symptoms are not bad so until they get to the point where I need to do something I will just fine the way I am.

Shirl

1980- Transaxillary resection of 1st rib and division of band (left side)
    1982- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
    1985- Transaxillary excision of cervical rib (right side)
    1991- Laser stapedectomy (right side)
    1992- Fractional D&C
    1992- Diagnostic Laparoscopy
    1996- Lumbar hemilaminectomy
    1999- Left knee arthoscopic surgery
    2001- Laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy
    2002- L5-S1 Microdiscectomy
    2002- L4-L5, L5-S1 Anterior inter-body lumbar fusion with cages and my own bone from left hip for bone graft
    2002- Neck problems Surgery??????
    2002 DEC 21- C4-5, C5-C6 Anterior Cervical Corpectomy with Fusion and Internal Fixation (Bone from the bone bank)

Old 07-31-2005, 12:08 PM   #5
    girl12345
    (female)

girl12345 HB User
    Re: Discectomy SP? doesnt help back pain???????

I was told the same thing about surgery will only help back pain. I am currently looking into getting a discectomy, but I might not be able to if the discogram shows two damaged discs. I was told the a discectomy only helps leg pain because there could be other things that are causing back pain, such as additional discs damaged or something else. There is no sure way to tell if it would help back pain. I hope this helps.

Closed Thread