It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Is this Truly Sciatica

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-03-2005, 11:04 AM   #1
    NicoleMiller999

NicoleMiller999 HB User
    Question Is this Truly Sciatica

Hello All

About 4 weeks ago I had a Bladder infection with in two days of diagnosis and meds (cipro) I had severe spasm in my lower back near the buttocks. Then it started going down my legs. I am having Charley Horses in my outer right Calf and my feet go numb if I stand too long or sit too long. Usually if I am laying on my left side I don't hae any pain. I can't lift my leg up that high it feels like it is stuck and there seems to feel like pressure in my buttocks region. I am also having muscle twitches in both legs and it feels almost like I am losing strength in them. I went to an Orthopedic and they gave me a X-Ray but not an MRI because he said it was Sciatica. Now I had Sciatica when I was prgnant with my daughter and it never felt as bad as this!! Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2005, 12:59 PM   #2
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User
    Smile Re: Is this Truly Sciatica

Believe me sciatica can be excruciating or mild. It can knock you to the floor and have you gasping for air or it can be a dull radiating pain. Personally one night I blacked out from the pain and spent the night on the hallway floor unable to get up. So don't think that what you had during your pregnancy is as bad as sciatica gets.

First did your doctor test you with a straight leg raise? Lie on your back and raise your leg up if at 30% plus raise you get pain down the back of your leg it is in all likelihood sciatica if this doesn't happen I would think twice about the diagnosis of sciatica. I am assuming that your physician has based his diagnosis on something so I also assume he did test your reflexes and did a straight leg raise. Simple DDD can cause some godawful pain but eventually with time it does get better. Right now my daughter is hobbling around the house with her latest back attack even if she has herniated a disc 90% of the time it will heal.

Perhaps some physio is in order to help strengthen your back muscles. These can start after the acute stage passes. Good luck sure hope you feel better. Let us know.

Hugs,
    Pooby

Old 08-03-2005, 02:05 PM   #3
    NicoleMiller999

NicoleMiller999 HB User
    Cool Re: Is this Truly Sciatica

Thanks bunches Poopy!!

I just came back from the Doc's and yes she did the reflex check and the leg raise I couldn't even raise mine that high it hurt so bad down my whole leg from the buttock to the foot. She said it was Sciatica. I am trully at its mercy. I had no idea it could get this bad. I don't even know what I did wrong for it to go into spams like this. She gave me meds to help the pain then said use a heating pad and a pillow at night and sit in a raised back chair. Any other suggestions to help with the pain????

Old 08-03-2005, 07:18 PM   #4
    BioAdoptMom3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User
    Re: Is this Truly Sciatica

I feel your pain, literally. I know what you are going through. I am just now after two weeks beginning to feel like I am finally healling. The PP is right. Sciatica can be mild or very severe and my case has been like yours. Like you, I cannot put my finger on anything I did that may have caused this.

Here are some things I have done which have helped, some more than others:

I went to a chiro, though you have to be careful who you choose. Mine does adjustments with a computer, based on readings from that computer. It has helped, but the relief has been very SLOW.

I also went to my regular doctor who gave me a cortisone shot (into the muscle so it would be distributed throughout my body to bring down the inflamation). This seems to have been the most helpful of all.

She also gave me muscle relaxants. They could be helping, but to me the relief does not seem too significant.

My chiro told me to use ice, double towled so its not as painful, for about 15 minutes at a time every couple of hours. He also told me not to do anything that causes pain, so I am resting a lot. My doctor also told me the same thing. The ice does relieve the pain while it is being used.

Above all, the best pain relief I have gotten has come from taking extra strength Excedrin. I am not sure why, but it works better than motrin, advil or aleve for me. Within 20 minutes of taking it when I am in pain, I literally feel like a new person. Only problem is, is that it seems to wear off in just a few hours and I have to take it again. It truly brings GREAT relief for me.

I have also been told by both physicians that massage therapy will be helpful, but not until the pain has calmed down more and I can lie in different positions for longer lengths of time.

Hope you feel better quickly! My advice once again is to try the excedrin, the ice and ask about either a cortisone shot or oral steriods.

Nancy

Old 08-03-2005, 08:13 PM   #5
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

Sciatica has many degrees of pain, boy when it first hit me 9 yrs ago I thought someone was hammering me in the butt with a ball ping hammer, the whole leg ached and ached, my dr said that it would probably go away after about 6 months, not always , the severity of the pain calmed to a mild toothache type but it was pretty near 5 yrs before it went away and now it comes back if I sit or stand more than 10 minutes or if I strain my lower back somehow. Sciatica is no laughing matter, some people have it permanently, I have several nerves impinged from L2 through L5 and it's no fun. Surgery is no option for me either. PT helps the best tho.

Old 08-04-2005, 07:54 AM   #6
    NicoleMiller999

NicoleMiller999 HB User

OMG!!! you guys have me so scared. I can't live with this constant charley horse (that's what it feels like) I can't stand for more than 6 minutes ( I have timed it) before the Charley horse comes back and my foot goes numb. OH NO!!!!! This has to get better. It just has to. I have 3 kids at home well 4 if you count my husband!! What is "PF"? I am suppose to start therapy tomorrow but I can barely move my leg without the pain. Should I go?

Old 08-04-2005, 06:06 PM   #7
    NancyH
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

NancyH HB User

You have to go to PT especially when it hurts real bad. They will be able to assess the situation as to whether to do therapy that day or something else to calm it down. I found the PT folks knew more about the problem than any of the Drs. After you've been to them for a few months you can do alot of the excersises at home and save yourself some bucks.

Old 08-04-2005, 09:38 PM   #8
    BioAdoptMom3
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

BioAdoptMom3 HB User

I'm sorry. I didn't think I said anything to scare or discourage you and if I did, I didn't mean for it to come off that way.

I will just re-emphasize that Excedrin works very well for me. Have you tried that? I was told Aleve is great too, but it doesn't seem to work as well as the Excedrin. Also, try icing it as often as possible for 15 mintues at time, rest as much as you can and if you are not better soon, call your doctor. I was dreading that cortisone shot, but it has seemed to really help. A friend of mine was prescribed oral prednisone when she had it and she said it worked very well too. You might want to ask about one of those options. Those things decrease the inflamation tremendously.

You are not alone. I too have three kids and have not been able to stand or walk for more than a couple of minutes at a time. I teach Kindergarten and the kids are returing to school on Monday. I am really worried, but at least I am on the mend. It has taken about three weeks, but probably would have gotten better more quickly had I gone to the doctor early on. Good luck and keep us posted on how you are doing. Again, I am not exaggerating when I say the Excedrin makes me feel like a new person about 20 minutes after I take it.

Nancy

Closed Thread