It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Thoracic Back pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-05-2006, 07:28 PM   #76
    ladymuck
    (female)

ladymuck HB User
    Re: Thoracic Back pain

Ihave to have to have a ct scan it sounds like what you have had done, where they guide cortisone injections into bilateral L4,5 and L5 s1 facet joints but is done with a ct scan ive had cortisone injections done before but that was at a hostpital but no scan.
    I dont know if ill be able to put up with the pain can anyone tell me more about this do they give you anything to calm you before this is done.I cannot lay still for long

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2006, 08:39 PM   #77
    emilysusan24
    (female)

emilysusan24 HB User

I had lower back surgery almost a year ago, and have never had any upper back problems. However, last week I was dancing and my upper back pulled. Now my upper back (in between my shoulder blades) has a burning pain, and my chest feels so heavy I have thoght I was having a heart attack. I am also having a lot of pain in my neck and upper arms.

I am scared that I am having problems...has anyone had upper back pain after a lumbar surgery????

Old 06-16-2006, 10:42 AM   #78
    fireguy191
    (male)

fireguy191 HB User

Thanks oil for the history on your friend, and trust me when I say I will not do surgery unless there is DIRECT cord compression and I'm facing the possibility of becoming a paralized. I"m not sure if we've crossed paths I have been on my share of major fires, maybe you've dumped a load of retardent on my when I was protecting a structure..ha,ha,ha. Well, you also be safe in flying and I'll be looking up for you at the next project fire.

Old 06-16-2006, 05:35 PM   #79
    mmusilli
    (male)

mmusilli HB User

Wow... I actually read most of this LONG thread just now.. I too joined the "thoracic club" in January 2006! I am amazed at how many people have thoracic problems.. I thought it was "extremely rare" based on my docs and PT (and google....)..

I had MRI of lumbar and thoracic, and have DDD and minor bulges here and there.. But major problem was with T11-12 herniation on left side... My spine drs told me that I did not need to operate, and to try cortizone shots first and PT.. Well, that did seem to help me somewhat in that I am not in super pain, but still cant do the things I used to (forget golf and karate....).. I am determined to get better, and have been doing PT (Mackenzie method and sports rehabilitation methods) stretching, stationary bike, eliptical, and light LIGHT weights that dont load spine... Doc did say that if we did have to operate, it would not be a big deal, but that is most likely because it is at T11-T12.. BTW.. they told me it would take up to 2 years to heal...

Taking tons of Glucosamine and Condroitin Plus MSM, along with all sorts of other healthy stuff (good thing for fish oil pills, as I dont think I could eat that much salmon... Oh.. and of course, lots of water..... A friend told me to take coral calcium and that he notices that when he stops taking it, his carpul tunnel acts up, and gets better when he takes it again, so I started taking that too since it is a nerve thing...

Ice packs seem to help me get through the bad days... Lots of ice, and believe it or not WINE..... I actually take a valium or soma with wine (against the disclaimer on the med jar) but it works for me... Sorry for the long post everyone.. Just wanted to let you know what I was doing for my Tspine problem and hope that it can help someone in some way..

God bless you all!!

Maurice

Old 06-16-2006, 06:07 PM   #80
    mmusilli
    (male)

mmusilli HB User

One more thing everyone.. I found an article online that talked about a procedure called Chemonucleolysis which basically is an injection into a herniated disc that dissolves the herniation... What a cool concept.. The only thing is that I never heard of it, and I posted on this forum with no replies, so I guess nobody ever heard of it either.. So, you may want to ask your docs next time you see them to see if this is even an option.. Could be very new... This means that instead of operating, they could perhaps inject a drug in the herniated portion and it would dissolve away???!!!

That would be nice...

Bye for now..

Maurice

Old 06-16-2006, 06:21 PM   #81
    janx
    Inactive
    (female)

janx HB User

Emilysusan24, brenwill here. I am almost 8 weeks out from PLIF at L4-5 with hardware. I have had shoulder, neck and arm pain ever since my fusion. It gets worse at night to the point of waking me up or keeping me awake. Chest does also hurt some too. I figured it was just the way I was stretched or pulled during surgery, but it does worry me, seems other fusion recovers have not had this problem or at least none have metioned it that I have seen. I asked my dr. about it Thursday, he gave me a muscle relaxer which doesn't help and told me if it was still hurting when I came back in 6 weeks, we would investigate further. Sure hope nothings going on with the neck, I would not want to deal with another surgery any time soon. Have a blessed evening.
    brenwill

Old 06-16-2006, 11:51 PM   #82
    Justoneofus
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Justoneofus HB User

Brenwill,

Hi.. Tammy here..I am 8 weeks too as we have posted to each other before. I have all sorts of pains in my back and hips, etc.. since the surgery. Most of them I don't put a lot of thought to, because I assume they are post surgery pains and nerve phantompains. They come and go, and some stay and are aggrevating. Some is the nerves I think sending pain here, there. Others is doing things differently post surgery, using muscles differently than before surgery to compensate for the surgery, and also over use or strain of some muscles how working overtime since the surgery.

My shoulders don't hurt, but my neck gets stiff from time to time, my arms ache, my knees get to aching sometimes, like they have a migraine. My upper back muscles have been real sore the last few days.. and real tight too, and I think that is from driving to work..long long drive to work two days this week, which is 1st time back. BUT, Now i am having sciatic pain on both sides.. and doc is thinking might be L5.. bulging disc (which I had pre-surgery, but he decided to leave it alone) now causing trouble, but is really too early to know yet, because the fusion was just done.

Have you started PT yet? My doc just ordered it to help,and he has perscribed to put me on celebrex.. to help with swelling I have been having. So I hope this works and that it's not the L5 disc. I have a new job about to start.. and I can't be out of commission before I even start this job.. it's too important to get this job.

I hope you are doing better. Stay the course.. be patient and if your pain gets too aggrevating.. check it out with your doc and maybe try different things to make you more comfortable while your body heals from the surgery. It takes time.. and the more I read.. the more I realize this is not a quick repair job and takes a good year to get things really healing well and then some.

Closed Thread