It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 3rd Discectomy on Tuesday...Question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-19-2005, 01:44 PM   #1
    Ohthepain
    (male)

Ohthepain HB User
    3rd Discectomy on Tuesday...Question

Hello All,

Well, I am a 30 year old male who is about to go through a 3rd discectomy at lever L5-S1. Here is my history:

02/2000: Discectomy L5-S1. 100% success, no further issues unit 03/2005.

04/2006: Discectomy L5-S1. 0% success, worst pain than prior to surgery.

[B]Well, I was wondering if any of you have or know of someone who has gone through a 3rd discectomy and made it out ok ??!![/B]

My doc is freaking me out talking about increased risk of Discitis, spinal cord infection and so on

And by the way, the doc really wanted me have a fusion, but I wanted to give a discectomy one more chance since 80% of my pain is in my leg and not my back.

What do you guys think, was that a good decision to give a discectomy one more chance ?!

Thank you and please keep me in your thoughts and prayers through at least wednesday. I am a new farther to a 3\6 months old baby girl and the thought of her loosing her father is so depressing

Thank you and god bless you all...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2005, 01:46 PM   #2
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User
    Re: 3rd Discectomy on Tuesday...Question

Did you doctor say that your risk would be lower if you had a fusion or is he saying have no surgery at all? Is he the surgeon? If not what does your surgeon say? Good luck and I hope that things go well for you.

Last edited by pooby; 08-19-2005 at 01:49 PM.

Old 08-19-2005, 01:57 PM   #3
    Ohthepain
    (male)

Ohthepain HB User

He is my surgeon, and his first recommendation is a fusion. However he is not against a discectomy. he just said that he will perform an "aggressive" discectomy wich is apparently more involved than a regular discectomy.

He said it will probebly be 5 to 8 hours surgery where he would go in there and aggressivly clean up scar tissue and all that good stuff.

Old 08-19-2005, 02:11 PM   #4
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

Well anything is better than a fusion. Guess if this doesn't work that will always be an option.

Old 08-20-2005, 03:31 AM   #5
    Ohthepain
    (male)

Ohthepain HB User

Anyone else ?!!

Old 08-20-2005, 08:02 AM   #6
    heatherkay
    (female)

heatherkay HB User

Hi there! I had a simlar situation - herniated L5/S1 in 2002 and had surgery 7/2002, recurrence L5/S1 herniation 6/2003 and had surgery again 6/2003. Had great results from the surgeries - but unfortunately, as you know - once you've had surgery, your chances of recurrence are higher. I had a recurrence at L5/S1 in October, 2004. I tried (PT, ESIs, Acupuncture, medications, etc.) everything including working with a Physiatrist to avoid surgery again but nothing lasted so I went to see my surgeon after about 8 months of pain. He recommended fusion - I asked him if he could just go in and clean it up again. He said he could but that he felt that the result wouldn't last and that I'd be back in a short amount of time. I trust my surgeon and his experience so I opted for the fusion. By the time I had the surgery, the disc space was very collapsed and the leg pain, muscle weakness and numbness was getting worse. I was going to have an interbody fusion with cage and BMP but the disc space was too collapsed to get the cage in safely so the dr. did a regular fusion with rods and screws and bmp. I'm almost 4 weeks out from the surgery and while it's no picnic, the leg pain is GREATLY improved - it's only there when I do something I shouldn't. Learning how to live without bending is an adventure!! I am glad I went ahead and had the fusion.

Old 08-21-2005, 03:48 AM   #7
    Ohthepain
    (male)

Ohthepain HB User

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am opting for a discectomy since at thie point in my life, being that I am unemployed, it makes financial sense to get another discectomy so I get better long enough to get a job !!

As you know the fusion recovery time is much longer than a discectomy, so I am crossing my fingers and hoping for the best right now

I will let you guys know how it goes, I am going in this Tuesday at 5:00 a.m, will be oit of the hospital on Wednesday...
    You guys take care, and will post the results hopefully within a week...

Closed Thread