It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Dynesys System (back Surgery)

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-08-2005, 04:14 PM   #1
    KAYALLEN97
    (female)

KAYALLEN97 HB User
    Question Dynesys System (back Surgery)

Need Information Regarding Procedure, If Had This Surgery Done Need To Know Re: Lenght Of Hospital Stay, Physical Therapy, Activity Restrictions, Complications, Any Information Would Be Greatly Appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2005, 04:52 PM   #2
    o2bhealed
    (female)

o2bhealed HB User
    Wink Re: Dynesys System (back Surgery)

Hello, I have been looking into this subject myself. I can't give the website that I got this info. from, but the following was written by a nurse and I think it gave real good insight.

"The Dynesys system uses flexible materials to stabilize the affected lumbar region while preserving the natural anatomy of the spine. The procedure allows some motion in the spine and is easy to implant using a familiar surgical approach.

The intent of the Dynesys system is to provide spine surgeons with an alternative to the rigid fixation provided by today’s systems for spinal fusion. The system is constructed of flexible materials that stabilize the affected vertebral segments. The system consists of external spacers made of surgical polyurethane tubing surrounding a polyethylene cord. The dynamic push/pull relationship between the spacers and the cord stabilizes the affected vertebrae. The system is designed to permit careful controlled bending, straightening and twisting movement in the affected joints.

This unique system has several potential advantages over current fusion techniques. The most important is the preservation of the intervertebral discs and anatomy of the affected vertebrae. Also, the Dynesys system, installed posteriorally, does not require bone to be taken from the hip, as is required in other fusion procedures, and eliminates any problems associated with this procedure. The procedure should also reduce the number of days the patient recovers in the hospital. Dynesys 'not only fuses the spine but also allows movement and reinforces the spinal ligaments. It may ultimately prove safer and more effective than disc replacement.'

This new procedure is going to revolutionize spinal fusions and they are hoping that this procedure eliminates the problems that exist years after spinal fusions where the discs above and below the fixed fusion fail due to stress. "

Im sure others have 1st hand info. I hope you find all that you are looking for. Keep us posted,

Lorie

Old 09-09-2005, 06:15 AM   #3
    missyb57
    (female)

missyb57 HB User
    Re: Dynesys System (back Surgery)

Can I ask what condition do you have that they are recommending the Dynesys treatment for?

Old 09-09-2005, 08:47 AM   #4
    davetheplantman
    (male)

davetheplantman HB User

if you google the following you will find a lot of information, especially at the manufacturer site. Dynesys Dynamic Stabilization System

Old 09-09-2005, 09:46 AM   #5
    pulary
    (male)

pulary HB User
    Cool Re: Dynesys System (back Surgery)

I had DDD at L4-L5 and L5-S1 with herniation at both levels. I was experience debilating pain down both legs when walking and standing for longer than a minute. It was pretty bad. I had the Dynesys surgery August 31. I spent the night of surgery in the hospital and was released around 4pm the following day. The surgery was a huge success. I no longer have the pain I was having before surgery. As everything heals I should experience little to no pain. Right now I experience really bad muscle spasms, but those should get better. A PT person came late in the evening the day of surgery and got me walking a little and gave me a couple execrises to do. I have been able to walk longer as I heal. My only restrictions were to avoid bending the spine. One thing I would recommend is some sort of stool softner. When you take naracotic pain meds i.e hydrocodone, and vicatin they can lead to constapation. When you are unable to have a bowel movement you feel your back pain much worse. I tried everything, but prunes seemed to work the best.
    Just a suggestion.
    Good Luck
    Phillip

Last edited by pulary; 09-09-2005 at 06:30 PM.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:31 PM   #6
    KAYALLEN97
    (female)

KAYALLEN97 HB User

[QUOTE=missyb57]Can I ask what condition do you have that they are recommending the Dynesys treatment for?[/QUOTE] THANKS FOR THE REPLY, I HAVE HERNIATED AND RUPTURES IN L4-L5&L5-S1, I ALSO HAVE SEVERE PAIN IN MY BOTTOM AREA AND RADIATING DOWN IN BOTH LEGS, I ALSO HAVE HAD BLADDER AND BOWEL PROBLEMS SINCE 2 MONTHS AGO. WITH THE DISCOGRAM IT ALSO SHOWED THAT I HAVE DDD TO THE POINT THAT MY BONES IN THE BOTTOM PART OF THE SPINE AND PELVIS AREA HAVE BECOME BRITTLE AND BREAKING OFF WHICH WILL CONSIST OF A BONE GRAFT FROM THE HIP AREA TO GIVE THE DR. A PLACE TO AFIX THE DYNESYS SYSTEM. HE STATES THE PROCEDURE IS ALOT BETTER THAN DISC REPLACEMENT AND WILL BASICLY GIVE ME A VERY ACTIVE LIFE AFTER SURGERY. IF CONSIDERING PLEASE KEEP IN TOUCH. GOOD LUCK, SHERRI

Old 09-15-2005, 10:02 PM   #7
    pulary
    (male)

pulary HB User

I have actually had this procedure done about 2 weekd ago. I feel fantastic. Got a great report day of surgery. I went in today for post op everything healed and I was cleared to resume bending, stretching, and lifting (no more the 20 lbs).

Now for the bad news. I found out that one of the 6 screws was not functioning properly. Not anyones fault. Either it was not screwed in far enough or it had become lose. Anyways, I go back in on Tuesday to have the screw either replaced or tightend. I have had really bad muscle spasms the past week, and some residual leg pain. Not saying this is the problem, but it could very well be.

No matter what you decide to make sure it is what you want and something you feel comfortable doing. To me I would do this procedure all over. It has changed my life.

Best of luck.

Phillip
    DDD L4-L5 & L5-S1
    2 herniated discs

Old 09-16-2005, 08:13 AM   #8
    Quietcook
    Inactive
    (female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

At the top of this board there is a thread started by Bionic Witch regarding New Info for lots of us. On that thread, with the moderator's blessing she put the link for a spine site that is excellent for information and even has a small video clip of what is donie in a dynesys procedure.

Best wishes.

Old 09-16-2005, 09:27 AM   #9
    jaccrash
    (female)

jaccrash HB User

Pulary -
    Sounds like your experience has been pretty good!...except for the loose screw ;-( ...hope you get it corrected and all goes well! Since this procedure is fairly new, did your insurance pay for it? If not...can you give me a general idea of costs? I am looking into alternatives since my insurance agency denied my docs request for a disc replacement...but, I guess everything happens for a reason! I am glad I read this post - this procedure sounds like a winner. Please keep us updated on your recovery - best to you!
    Jac

Old 09-18-2005, 10:32 PM   #10
    pulary
    (male)

pulary HB User

My insurance company actually did pay for some of this procedure. BCBS covered 80%. I should let you know that I am still covered by my parents health insurance because I am in college.

I am not to worried about the screw. I think it is causing all my pain right now. I can stand and walk but not very long. I get really bad muscle spasms on my right side. I get the tingly and burning that goes down from mid lower leg to about the ankle.

I am now 2 days post op for the revision of the L5 pedicle screw. Good news the doctor did not have to replace the screw. He just had to replace the locking mechanism. So much better then the screw. I have experienced a lot more pain this time around. There seems to be a lot of pressure around the incision site. Doctor told me it was okay. So I am doing really well.

Last edited by pulary; 09-22-2005 at 11:41 AM.

Closed Thread