It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Neurontin Information

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-14-2005, 12:44 PM   #1
    Quietcook
    Inactive
    (female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User
    Post Neurontin Information

Posted this info long time ago but feel it worth repeating as noticing more and more people are taking Neurontin for back problems. This is just informational, as not all doctors provide warnings about this particular medication, along with the fact that it is not FDA approved for treatment of back/nerve pain problems. Being used in that fashion is what they call off-label prescribing of the medication.

This is not to say that it does not work in those methods, but it alarms me with the articles I've read, about its safety, especially in raising suicide risk among all patients who take it. Everyone has a different reaction to every medication, which we all know that more than one drug has been used for off-label prescribing, and nothing is done until a number of people die due to shootings or other deaths. Nno one particularly wants to add to their problems by becoming depressed or suicidal due to a medication reaction.

Read and printed out several articles from a San Franciso newspaper about Neurontin and patient's right to know and how much doctors feel they should disclose about treatments. It is truly scary. My own experience with Neurontin is limited, as it immediately caused me problems, so I was on it only a few days, and when a neurologist wanted me to go on it for back pain, my primary doctor refused because of the need for constant monitoring due to risk of damage to the liver.

Not discouraging you who take it and it works for you, but do want to encourage any of you who take it to be aware of all the signs of it causing complications, whether with organs of the feeling of suicide or depression. Search out the Chronicle articles from San Francisco just by using the paper, location and Neurontin in your search and read the concerns that FDA has and just be aware so that you can raise any questions you want to talk about with your doctor. If using it for nerve damage is working for you, that's wonderful, but be informed. If it is causing you any of the negative impacts, then please talk with your doctor and see if another drug might serve you better. Even the best drug that works wonders for it’s intended use, if when used in off-label situations it could cause enough problems that it could be removed from availability. It's just best for us to know exactly what the drug was intended for and if we're taking it in off-label prescribing situation such as for nerve pain, then be sure you know what to look for.

Neurontin is approved for treating seizures. If it helps in any other area, again it is wonderful, but just keep yourself informed and insist on the appropriate testing to make sure you don’t wind up with damage to your liver because it wasn’t monitored.

I really don't get too alarmed over many meds. But, remember the VIOXX deal? Just another drug, like Bextra, and what about Prosac that has had warnings, and it took years before the warnings were more than a mild discussion in a 30 second spot on the news.

My mother was on VIOXX and not having any trouble for the few months she was on it, but when the FDA came out with the first warning, it just so happened we had a doctor’s appointment the next day. He stopped her with VIOXX right then and I’m so glad. She did develop major heart problems, but no way for us to know if it was or was not related. However, later we found out three of her sisters, in other states were put on the VIOXX. We immediately let them know about the warnings and our concerns that they speak with their doctors, and even mailed them copies of the FDA warnings at that point. Well, one stopped it then, but the other two were of the opinion that their doctor would not give them anything that could do them harm and wouldn't even talk with their doctors about it, in spite of the fact that she was having unexplained bleeding and major blood loss while on it. She died from blood loss and several strokes a couple of months later, and the other died from stokes one month after that. What a waste, as both were much younger than my mother. Both of us thought them more educated than to just accept that their docs could not give them something that would harm them. How can a doc know everything about thousands of different drugs?

Just keep being your own best advocate and be informed so you can ask questions. Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2005, 01:06 PM   #2
    Bionicwan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bionicwan HB User
    Re: Neurontin Information

Thank you Quiet Cook ~

This is very informative and I hope everyone reads it!

I personally DO get relief from Neurontin, but DO monitor myself VERY closely AND wear the Med ID bracelet that both the manufacturer and my PM advise.

Sometimes it seems that you can never be sure what drugs will harm you ~ even when "they seem" to be giving you improvement.

I too was on the Vioxx and was saddened by the news of it's risk ~ for me Vioxx was my "golden pill" it helped like NOTHING else, for me, anyway ~ but certainly I would never have continued it after the data was made known.

I hope things are still going good for you and that your Mother is also doing well

Blessings to both of you ~

Bionic Witch

Old 09-14-2005, 03:44 PM   #3
    Terri43
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Terri43 HB User

Hello Quiet cook and Bionic Witch, I am taking neurontin also and it is working for me but I was just wondering how I would I know if I'm having problems with my liver or other organs. I know that on the med I feel loopy and not myself. But was not aware that it was something to be that concerned about. Also what is the med id braclet for?
    Terri

Old 09-14-2005, 05:00 PM   #4
    Bionicwan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bionicwan HB User

Terri,

Glad your getting some relief with this.

My pcp routinely does liver a function test every 3 months (simple bloodwork)

... as for the I.D bracelet - normally, when your primary reason for taking Neurontin IS SEIZURE control THEN they strongly suggest your wear the bracelet - my PM suggested I wear one due to the numerous meds I am on along WITH the Neurontin.

Neurontin (gabapentin) side effects that are possible ~

THESE effects, you should report to your prescriber or health care professional as soon as possible:

Rare or uncommon:
    •difficulty breathing or tightening of the throat
    •swelling of lips or tongue
    •rash
    May occur in children:
    •fever
    •hyperactivity
    •hostile or aggressive behavior
    •mood changes or changes in behavior
    •difficulty concentrating

Side effects that usually do not require medical attention (report to your prescriber or health care professional if they continue or are bothersome):
    •constipation
    •difficulty walking or controlling muscle movements
    •dizziness, drowsiness
    •dry mouth
    •back pain, joint aches and pains
    •indigestion, gas or heartburn
    •loss of appetite
    •nausea
    •pain, burning or tingling in the hands or feet
    •restlessness
    •sexual difficulty (impotence)
    •skin itching
    •slurred speech
    •sore gums
    •tremor
    •weight gain

IT IS A VERY controversal drug - as Quiet Cook mentioned - It's VERY important to be aware of it's possibel side effects - especially when used "Off Label" as those of us are doing in attempt to help w/neuropathic pain.

BionicWitch

Old 09-14-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
    Quietcook
    Inactive
    (female)

Quietcook HB UserQuietcook HB User

Hi Bionic,

Long time since I've seen you on the board. Hope all is going better for you. Are you finding any time to sit out on that porch and relax?

You gave excellent info about Neurontin, and hope no one will have any major problem with it. We humans have such complicated bodies, it is no wonder that one drug works for one but not for another.

Will put a post out for you.

Later,

Closed Thread