It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Can't take Neurontin anymore....What else works???

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-17-2005, 04:12 PM   #1
    Eeyore1973
    (female)

Eeyore1973 HB User
    Unhappy Can't take Neurontin anymore....What else works???

I am trying to find some suggestions on another medication that would work for pain associated with a bulging disc that is leaning on a nerve causing very bad leg spasms as well. Neurontin has caused very bad side effects.
    Possiably one that would be ok to take during pregnancy since that is something that will happen in the near future.
    Thank you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2005, 04:47 PM   #2
    Tirzah
    (female)

Tirzah HB User
    Re: Can't take Neurontin anymore....What else works???

I had really bad side effects with neurontin too so my pm dr. put me on a new medication called lyrica. It has been wonderful. My thinking is clear and I get a great nights sleep. It is helping with my leg pain which I am really grateful for.

Lyrica was just released about a month ago. I have read here that a few of us are trying it.
    Tirzah

Old 10-17-2005, 06:09 PM   #3
    Eeyore1973
    (female)

Eeyore1973 HB User

Hi Tirzah
    What kind of bad side effects were you getting from Neurontin?
    I will ask my doctor about Lyrica when I see him on the 27th.
    Thank you for the suggestion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-17-2005, 07:12 PM   #4
    Tirzah
    (female)

Tirzah HB User

With neurontin I was really out of it. I didn't want to do anything but lay down. I couldn't think straight at all. Someone asked me for my address and I couldn't remember it. If I was reading a book and set it down I couldn't remember what page I was on or what I had read. It also made me very dizzy. I wasn't on it for very long (I think 2 1/2 weeks) and I was on a low dose to get started.
    Tirzah

Old 10-19-2005, 01:22 PM   #5
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jdlfmc HB Userjdlfmc HB User

I'm glad to hear lyrica is helping you so much, my dr rx'ed it for me I have gotten it filled and have out of starting it as I have heard many mixed reports on it.
    It is made by the same co. that makes nuerontin and is actually the same line it's only suppose to have milder side effects then nuerontin and possibly work better, one of the same side effects that worries me also is the weight gain, I gained much weight on nuerontin, I ended up giving it up though for the many side effects and not helping the pain.
    Linda

Old 10-19-2005, 02:32 PM   #6
    notpain
    Inactive
    (male)

notpain HB User

Here are two things you should add to your prescription that will NOT solve your pain but may help it. It helps me some:

Zyflamend - it's a natural Cox2 inhibitor made by a vitamin Company Called New Chapter. This will take a while to kick in but does help some

Fish Oil - takes about 2 to 4 weeks, but will help you over time.

Both are non toxic and unless you have an allergy or your doctor has a specific reason NOT to take them will help. Dr. Weil talks about Zyflamend on his site.

You can use these along with your prescription med.

I also take Brownwoodacres farms Cherry Juice. Contains melatonin and a natural pain reliever.

I do not say this to tell you not to take prescription meds, I say this because these things help and because they are food have no side effects for average people.

I took many meds Neurontin among them. Nothing worked. Occasisonally an Ibuprofen will help. I have prescription 800mg, if you can't get prescription you can always buy 400mg OTC and double up if your doctor says it's okay. I get better relief by using them very infrequently. Ibuprofen can and will cause liver problems over time if you take it consistently.

The thing that helps the most is warm water just above body temperature. If you have a tub that is big enough to submerse your head in do it at least half hour a day. The pulls the pressure off your neck. If you have a hot tub even better. Just remember that 104 degree water (the hottest temp allowed by law in hot tubs) will make you very tired and start to cause problems with your internal proteins at the 20 minute mark. Shoot for water that is near body temperature.

The best drug of course is an ACCURATE DIAGNOSIS and appropriate treatment. Having said that it seems to be very elusive at times.

And the good thing about natrual products (althought they may not be as strong or work as fast) is they will have little effect on you while pregnant. Of course you need to run everything by your doctor.

Old 10-19-2005, 04:07 PM   #7
    spiney
    (female)

spiney HB User

I've heard good things about Topomax , but haven't taken it myself .

I also had trouble with Neurotin . I felt like I a drunk zombie most of the time .

Old 10-20-2005, 06:36 AM   #8
    Tirzah
    (female)

Tirzah HB User

Spiney- that's how I felt with neurotin too but not with lyrica. My leg pain feels so much better since taking lyrica.
    Tirzah

Closed Thread