It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• wedge fracture...old?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-25-2005, 12:42 AM   #1
    FAB SCOTT
    (male)

FAB SCOTT HB User
    wedge fracture...old?

I was in a car-crash about ten years ago and seemed ok after a week recovering so I'm guessing this was when the problem started.
    I have had an Xray 3 years ago which my Dr says shows me to have a wedge fracture [lower down I think he said] and now, after not much help or treatment at all, I am having increasing pain in the lower part of my back.
    If I am standing for 25 secs or so it starts to feel painful like I've been picking up heavy weights. Also whenever I walk [or try] I am stooped forward and it is also painful. This has progressively worsened over the last 5 years.
    The esteemed medical service first decided I had diabetes, tested me and then said it was borderline blah blah; then they sent me for a scan for osteoporosis and the result said positive[significant] hip and back.[they also told me I wouldn't get back pain from these so???]
    I'm not really bothered about these last two things [real or not] but I can't get any info on whether anything can be done for my back pain and the stooping in particular..
    If it's relevant,I'm 55 years old, male and used to be fairly active type.
    Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2005, 07:15 AM   #2
    Tirzah
    (female)

Tirzah HB User
    Re: wedge fracture...old?

Scott- first let me tell you that wedge fractures do hurt. Do you know if it an anterior fracture? If it is not than there is a good chance that it may be putting pressure on your spinal cord. Have you gone to a spine spec? If you haven't I would strongly suggest it. I am dealing with 3 compression fractures and a burst fracture. When they first happened a dr. told me that I would be fine in 6 weeks. That was a bunch of bull. I have to go now but will explain more later.
    Tirzah

Old 10-25-2005, 01:46 PM   #3
    FriarJen83
    (female)

FriarJen83 HB User

Hey Scott,
    sorry to hear about your pain. I also have 3 fractured vertebrae, causing bad wedging and collapsed discs in between them all. I have seen MANY doctors...it happened 3 years ago, and I still have horrible constant pain. They do say they are supposed to heal within a month or two. Within 6 months after they can inject the vertebrae with cement that supposedly takes all the pain away. But, most dr.s say that after 6 months it would be too late to do that. However, I know of one that says the time element doesn't matter at all, and I am seeing him in a few weeks. Other than that, the only other surgical option, at least in my case, is a fusion. Mine would be a 10 level fusion. Needless to say, I am putting that off as long as possible. I would suggest getting another MRI and another opinion, and of course meds can help greatly with the pain and give you quality of life back.
    Good luck,
    Jen

Old 10-25-2005, 06:49 PM   #4
    Tirzah
    (female)

Tirzah HB User

Jen, after my accident my attorney asked about them having the cement injected. I asked my ortho and he said I was to young (48). I was sent to a neuro after about 6 months and he told me that my fractures were too old. I'm very frustrated.
    Do you have wedge fractures or burst fractures? What virbrate are they? I have compression fractures at t5,6 and 11. I have a burst fracture at t9.
    Tirzah

Last edited by Tirzah; 10-25-2005 at 06:58 PM.

Old 10-26-2005, 08:18 AM   #5
    FriarJen83
    (female)

FriarJen83 HB User

Hi Tirzah,
    It is frustrating, isn't it? I am also VERY frustrated that they didn't do vertebroplasty when mine first happened. It could have saved me these years of pain. What could they possibly be thinking by not doing it for us when they KNOW within 6 months it will be too late??? I'll never know. I have wedge fractures at T6, 7, and 8. I have collapsed discs at T5-10, and bulging at T6 and T9. I am in so much pain. I am only 21. I will definitely let you know what this surgeon says. I see him on November 15th. I have read on their website they still do vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty no matter how long it has been. And supposedly it still helps. Maybe you could look into it too. How long has it been since your accident now? That's odd that they told you you were too young...I really don't think age makes a difference in that procedure!
    Good luck! ~Jen

Old 10-26-2005, 10:59 AM   #6
    Tirzah
    (female)

Tirzah HB User

Jen, I have been in a brace since 12/04. For the past month I have been weaning off of it. I only wear it if I go outside. I am finding that without my brace I am leaning to the left. I think this is why my hip has been hurting so much. With all your compression fractures do you have this problem?

Tirzah

Old 10-27-2005, 07:07 PM   #7
    FriarJen83
    (female)

FriarJen83 HB User

Hi Tirzah,
    Yeah, I do find that I lean to the side sometimes. But my big problem is with being able to stand and sit up straight. My problem is not with my posture, it is just that it hurts SO BAD to stand and sit up straight. This, of course, only started after the fractures. I never had any back problems before that day. is it hard for you to have straight posture as well? More recently my neck has been really sore as well. well, hope you're doing ok today. ~Jen

Old 10-28-2005, 08:38 AM   #8
    Tirzah
    (female)

Tirzah HB User

Jen, I do have a hard time sitting up straight. I do better leaning back. As far as standing I can't stand for very long. My left leg fatigues and my ribs seem to tighten to the point that my breathing gets real shallow. My posture is nothing like it was before my accident.
    I have to go take a functional capacity test this Tuesday. I called my neuro and he said that I can wear my brace. The wc nurse said to me that with it on I won't be able to do as much. I told her "no, without it I will do less". WC is so irritating. Have you had to do one of these tests before?

Take care,
    Tirzah

Old 10-28-2005, 09:57 AM   #9
    FriarJen83
    (female)

FriarJen83 HB User

well, I wish you luck on your test. I have never dealt with WC so I have never had to do any of that. My fractures and discs and other back problems never had a cause...I just woke up in excruciating pain one day and it's been horrible ever since. every dr. I've ever seen has had no answers why that would happen to an 18 year old.
    I am in the process of the SS Disability ordeal. I have tried sitting jobs, standing, moving around jobs, and I just cannot function. It is hard enough to make it through the day just at home. I have been denied once already and have filed to have a hearing. I also have 2 herniated discs and nerve damage in my lumbar spine. I am so frustrated with my back...I just wonder how much worse it will get when I am only 21 and it's this bad. It's so depressing. what have your doctors told you about what they think the outcome will be for you? Are they still telling you the pain will go away? Do they think you will be able to work and function eventually as normal?
    I hope WC is fair with you and your test goes well! ~Jen

Old 10-28-2005, 10:26 AM   #10
    Tirzah
    (female)

Tirzah HB User

Both my neuro and pm dr. have told me that I will never be able to drive a truck again. My neuro just keeps telling me that it is going to take a long time to heal. He hasn't said that I will be pain free one day. My pm dr made me angry the last time I was in there. I have had several esis and I am still in a lot of pain. Well he said that if this pain doesn't go away than you are going to have to have surgery. I told my neuro what the pm dr said and he just shock his head and said that he wishes that there was some sort of surgery that he could do to help me.

I get really depressed sometimes because I can't do all the things that I wish I could. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be going through this at your age. I guess as hard as it is we need to find some kind of hobby that we can do that can take our minds off of the pain. I know that watching tv and reading gets old. Do you have family to help you? My husband helps me a lot. I am thinking about getting one of those electric scootters. I think they would help when I go to the mall. I won't be dropping before I shop.
    Tirzah

Old 10-29-2005, 01:12 PM   #11
    FriarJen83
    (female)

FriarJen83 HB User

That's great that your husband is supportive! We need all the support we can get. yeah, I have had 4 ESIs in my thoracic and 1 in my lumbar...am due to have another lumbar soon and if it doesn't help, I will NEVER get another ESI. They have done nothing for me. My pain management dr. has told me there is nothing else he can do for my thoracic area. The area of pain is so huge he can't do facet joint injections or anything else. I hope that he doesn't give up on my lumbar pain now. I think he will do a discogram if these ESIs don't work.
    I am wondering if they have given you an option to have a fusion? All the surgeons I have seen say that if I can't live with the pain anymore, I should go for the 10 level fusion. I am so terrified that it will make it worse! I am just trying to put it off I guess. I am a part time student so that gives me something to do with my time, but it is so hard to sit through class and all. I cannot think or focus on anything but the pain. I live with 2 friends that I know love me but I am the type of person that just doens't show or talk about what I am going through. They really don't understand what it's like. It makes it very lonely but I guess that's my fault.
    ~Jen

Closed Thread