It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• TLIF Fusion 1 week post op questions

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-26-2005, 11:26 AM   #1
    jsh1257
    (male)

jsh1257 HB User
    TLIF Fusion 1 week post op questions

I just had a TLIF Fusion on 10-21-05 and was released on 10-25-05. I have 2 big burn marks on my chest that look like diflibulator paddles and no one can tell me what caused these. I asked if I crashed and they had to use the difibulator and no one can tell me. Do they have to inform you or your family if you have to be resuciated?

My surgery was supposed to be 5-6 hours, my family was informed that at 5 hours they were almost done, but then they would come out and tell them, they had to open me up more as they could not finish with the minimally invasive procedure and I ended up in surgery for almost 12 hours. I woke up in the recovery room with my left eye swollen shut, my left arm was completely numb and my last three fingers on the left hand were drawn bent and I could not straighten them. My right leg was also completely numb from the butt to the knee.

Has anyone else experienced any of the above from the TLIF Fusion procedure?

Thanks, any help or information will be gratefully appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2005, 03:01 PM   #2
    kt41577
    (female)

kt41577 HB User
    Re: TLIF Fusion 1 week post op questions

WOW!! It sounds like something was going on. You say that no one will tell you what the burn marks are from, do you mean the doctor's or your family? you can request a look at your medical records anytime. I had a TLIF and I woke up fine, they did have to use blood, and the surgery took a little longer then expected, but not 12 hours, I think I was in for 6 hours. how are your symptoms now? Can you move your fingers and leg? How about your back, how does it feel?
    I hope you find something out, let us know if you do.

Old 10-26-2005, 03:27 PM   #3
    jsh1257
    (male)

jsh1257 HB User

I can use my finders a little better but still numb. My leg is killing me completley numb but intense throbing from the thigh down to the knee. I have a little back pain when I get up or down. My family and I asked about the burns and my nero and the resident at the hospital told me they where from the pads on the or table but I saw them before and there is no way they left these burns.

Old 10-26-2005, 04:07 PM   #4
    Bionicwan
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Bionicwan HB User

KT is correct

Absolutely can you have access TO ALL that went on in the operating suite!

I would specifically get ALL Surgical Notes.

Do hope all is going well for you now and please keep us posted w/your progress

Old 10-26-2005, 05:29 PM   #5
    notpain
    Inactive
    (male)

notpain HB User

Sounds bad, but instead of worrying about everything now give yourself time to heal. Let the family worry and focus on your recovery. You're alive!!! If you put yourself under a lot of stress now it will hurt you. Live to fight another day.

Old 10-26-2005, 07:08 PM   #6
    jsh1257
    (male)

jsh1257 HB User

It is jusy killing me to think I may have died and when they shocked me what kind of extra damage was done to my heart etc... Everyone at the hospital was being really sneaking and acting weird everytime I asked about this. There was a or nurse that stayed the hole time 4hrs after her shift ended and she came out every hour to update my family and when they where finally done she hugged my wife with tears in her eyes and said (Its all ok now) and my wife did not know how to take this thinking that she must do alot of back surgery and why would this one upset her.. Its like they are trying to cover something up.

Old 10-28-2005, 02:48 PM   #7
    notpain
    Inactive
    (male)

notpain HB User

I guess my point was to let the family deal with it for now, get better, stress and worry will slow your recovery. Keep in mind that everything does not show on MRI sometimes they open you up and realize it's worse than expected. And the human body reacts unexpectedly to trauma (and surgery is traumatic to the body). Be glad to be alive and healing. If there was an error or problems that occured as the result of that error you will have plenty of time to litigate later on. Litigation takes a very long time. Let others worry until you are healthy enough.

Old 10-28-2005, 05:01 PM   #8
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User
    Wink Re: TLIF Fusion 1 week post op questions

I have to agree. The medical records will always be there and yes, you have the right to recv. them whenever you request them. But for now, please try not to worry about it. That can only hurt your recovery. Studies have shown that a positive attitude actually does make a difference with recovery.

I will tell you that when I had my surgery, I was told that I could end up with the chest marks and black eyes, due to laying on my stomache for that long. I did not have chest marks but my eyes were swollen shut.

I hope you are feeling better today...keep positive and I will keep your recovery in my thoughts and prayers,

Lorie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-28-2005, 09:21 PM   #9
    caszyman
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

caszyman HB User

My daughter had TLIF in June. When she came out of surgery her face was really swollen. Her dr told me it was from lying on the table. I don't think she had any other marks. She had all the wires hooked up to her in Ped ICU so I didn't notice. She had two surgeons working on her and it took about three hours with the two of them. She has had a great recovery and I wish the same for you.

Old 10-29-2005, 07:32 AM   #10
    jsh1257
    (male)

jsh1257 HB User

Thanks all!! For the prayers I am feeling a little better today my r leg pain is still thumping pretty good but other than that my back feels ok and I think I am walking straight versus bent over and to the left. I have a Deroyal Ultralign+ brace my nero perscirbed before surgery and let me tell you It HELPS ALOT!! The first few days I thought I was going to die because the PAIN. But it is getting better. I have had 2 Lumbar Lam at l2-3 3-4 4-5 in the past 1.5 yrs I had a discogram done in Feb and I had no pain at the 4-5 3-4 after my Lumbar Lam's but alot of pain at the L2-3 so Thats whay my doc wanted to do TLIF at this level. Thanks again and this is a great forum I wish I found it earlier.

Old 10-29-2005, 03:05 PM   #11
    pooby
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

pooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB Userpooby HB User

What levels did you have operated on. If it was lumbar you should not be having pain in your arm. Something sounds fishy. Did they do cervical and lumbar surgery?? I would want the full records from surgery.

Last edited by pooby; 10-29-2005 at 03:07 PM.

Old 10-29-2005, 05:01 PM   #12
    jsh1257
    (male)

jsh1257 HB User

I had a lumbar laminectomy on L3-4 and L4-5 on 3/20/2004. I still had alot of pain months after this surgery. So I had a discogram done 12/15/2004 and it came back with pain being generated at the L2-3 level only the other two levels that where already operated on came back OK. So my nero decided we should do a lumbar laminectomy on the L2-3 level so I had that done 10/21/2005 I still had alot of pain so we decided to have a TLIF fusion on the L2-3 level only this was done 10/21/2005 I am still in bed trying to recover. My nero said that the arm numbness was from being face down for almost 12 hours on the operating table. I am a big guy 6'2'' and 275lbs I am getting more and more felling back each day but for the last 2 days I have had little back pain but today It is hurting alot more is this normal?? Thanks again for your intrest. Jeff!!

Old 10-29-2005, 05:43 PM   #13
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User
    Wink Re: TLIF Fusion 1 week post op questions

Yes, this is normal so soon after the surgery. Your pain will vary for awhile since you are going to be doing a little more each day, even if it's an extra walk around the house etc. As you have a good day, you will probably do the smallest thing that you weren't able to do the day before and then you'll have a not so good day the next. Also, your meds are going to change as you wean down from the main narctics and the breakthrough meds will be used farther apart. Also, I think it was about the 2nd week my muscles started to wake up slowly (little by little and not fun) and about the 6th or 7th week they were fully awake and they just went back to spasms when I over did it.

Good luck and keep us updated,

Lorie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Closed Thread