It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Nerve Damage in Cervical Spine

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-26-2005, 01:48 PM   #1
    notpain
    Inactive
    (male)

notpain HB User
    Nerve Damage in Cervical Spine

My most recent MRI shows there may be slight pressure on the main cord. I also have Foraminal Stenosis at 2 levels starting to push on nerve roots. At this point only 1 in 4 doctors suggest surgical decompression. Each has a different opinon of course of what to do and how many levels. And from this I am supposed to decide?

Has anyone suffered Nerve damage from NOT having surgery? or from having surgery? Fusion surgery does not scare me as much as having a metal plate in my throat. I have read extensively and fusions at multiple levels heal better and faster with plating. But those without plating still heal with the advantage of no plate. Not to get off subject as I am posting this message to find out about nerve damage.

What have your physicians told you about nerve damage in this area? The Neurosurgeons seem to be more concerned than the Orthopedic Surgeons. I have seen 2 of each now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2005, 02:34 PM   #2
    Lena-marie
    (female)

Lena-marie HB User
    Re: Nerve Damage in Cervical Spine

What are your symptoms of you don't mind me asking?
    Lena

Old 10-27-2005, 07:31 AM   #3
    CJnorm
    (female)

CJnorm HB User

notpain

i have nerve damage in my left leg and foot and some on my right leg and foot and i have had 4 back surgerys ,because worker comp didn't ok my frist surgery and made me sit on the injury i ended up with nerve damage .so to me don't wait.

CJnorm

Old 10-27-2005, 02:26 PM   #4
    dennisgb
    Inactive

dennisgb HB User

[QUOTE=notpain]My most recent MRI shows there may be slight pressure on the main cord. I also have Foraminal Stenosis at 2 levels starting to push on nerve roots. At this point only 1 in 4 doctors suggest surgical decompression. Each has a different opinon of course of what to do and how many levels. And from this I am supposed to decide?

Has anyone suffered Nerve damage from NOT having surgery? or from having surgery? Fusion surgery does not scare me as much as having a metal plate in my throat. I have read extensively and fusions at multiple levels heal better and faster with plating. But those without plating still heal with the advantage of no plate. Not to get off subject as I am posting this message to find out about nerve damage.

What have your physicians told you about nerve damage in this area? The Neurosurgeons seem to be more concerned than the Orthopedic Surgeons. I have seen 2 of each now.[/QUOTE]

In the neck, the longer you wait the higher potential for long term irreversable nerve damage particularly if there is growths pressing on the nerves. The nerves can also be damaged during surgery. That is one of the risks that they will talk to you about prior to surgery.

I don't see what the problem is with the plate...I don't even know it is there. It held everything together while it healed. I don't like the option of no plate and trying to be sure I don't move my neck the wrong way...I remember a bee trying to sting me while I was in my neck brace...I moved my head like I would have before the surgery...a normal reaction...without the plate...I don't think so.

Old 10-30-2005, 01:12 PM   #5
    Terri43
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Terri43 HB User

I have the same problem, W/C keeps denying surgery that 2 of their neurosurgens say I need it. The last doctor did say if we wait any longer the nerve damage could be permanant. This has been going on for a year and a half. I worry about having the surgery but I worry more about losing the use of my right arm.
    Terri

Old 10-30-2005, 04:43 PM   #6
    carol632
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

carol632 HB User

I have permanent nerve damage from waiting too long for fusion surgery....mainly because my doctor didn't believe I had pain and I was too uninformed to get a second opinion. In your shoes, I think the answer is research, research, research. And then make the decision that seems best for you.

Carol
    morphine pump

Old 10-30-2005, 08:24 PM   #7
    SpineAZ
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I had a severe nerve impingement in the neck and the resulting numbness and tingling in my left arm may be permanent (not at a level where it restricts my ability to do much, but a continual numbness in two fingers)

Closed Thread