It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• Lyrica working!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-06-2005, 04:07 PM   #1
    ladybird988
    (female)

ladybird988 HB Userladybird988 HB User
    Lyrica working!

Hello. Haven't posted in awhile. I just started the new drug Lyrica for nerve damage to the sciatic nerve which has had me in up to level 10 pain for 2 years now, and it's working! I had L4/L5 rupture onto the nerve 2 years ago, causing nerve damage, resulting in a weak leg and weak foot which nearly left me in a wheelchair. Microdisectomy removed the herniation off the nerve July of 2004, and the nerve is still recovering. At 6 mons post op, the nerve went ballistic with shooting pain, and I've been just trying to survive ever since the stabbing pain...

I couldn't take enough neurontin to get my pain down to less than a 5 daily because it knocked me out and made me dizzy etc so I could only take 200 mg 4 times a day and that alone left me like a zombie.

This Lyrica is another story. I've had no problems yet at all and it immediately took the nerve pain down, especially in the butt area. Leg still hurts at about a level 2/3 pain but that is a hard pain to take away no matter what. I hope that as I am on it longer, I get more pain relief. I think it has to build in your system? I can live with level 3 pain.

With the Lyrica, there is very little pain in my back now which tells me my pain is 95% nerve related (have bad disk). I couldn't tell how much of that leg and back pain was nerve and how much due to a bad disk in the spine.

Anyhow, doctor says it can cause liver damage so have to have that checked regularly.

This drug has literally given me back my life. Also, I am seeing more leg strength with it too which he said I might! My leg is not as weak, though my foot still is. For me, it is working like a miracle. Unlike neurontin or gabapentin, which are antiseizure drugs that affect the brain directly, this new drug adheres to the injured nerve fibers. I was looking at morphine next or a spinal implant for pain control, and now with this Lyrica, I am off the oxycodone and just on vicaden.

Anyone else having success with this new drug??

I am a rather extreme case on the nerve damage, and frankly, didn't know if i could go on living in the pain, so this drug is just incredible. I THINK I have a life now!!!! That I am not limping as bad either is a miracle! Who would think it would give me leg strength?? I am walking now with no cane! Let's see if that continues...

Wanted to post to let other know. Good luck! I will keep you posted on my progress with this new drug. Hallelujah!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2005, 04:52 PM   #2
    Tirzah
    (female)

Tirzah HB User
    Re: Lyrica working!

Hi Ladybird- I have been on lyrica now for almost 5 weeks. I did have another thread going on it but I haven't updated it for awhile. I had tried neurotin and that stuff was terrible. The Lyrica is taking the leg pain away and that is a great relief. I am still having a lot of pain in my back so I'm thinking that it isn't nerve related.

How much lyrica are you taking? I have built up to 100mg three times a day.
    Tirzah

Old 11-06-2005, 05:21 PM   #3
    ladybird988
    (female)

Hi, I saw the thread. Was suprised not much has been written on here about it yet.

I am taking 50 mg 3x a day. Hope to build up and get more pain relief. It has been a miracle.

Hope others benefit too. Hope it keeps working for us. I'm out of here for now, and will check the threads later..

Old 11-06-2005, 05:23 PM   #4
    jdlfmc
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

jdlfmc HB Userjdlfmc HB User

What great news, I have had a script for about 6 weeks now even had it filled and haven't started it because I have heard so many contraversay comments about it.
    I often have bad side effects to these meds so have delayed it as I have other things going on right now and need to be alert, though after reading you post and a few others I'm hoping things calm down soon so I can try.
    I have lived with this nerve pain now for over 6 years and it's permanent and I have even had a SCS implant done that failed..
    Thanks for the positive update.
    Linda

Old 11-06-2005, 05:41 PM   #5
    Tirzah
    (female)

Tirzah HB User

There have been more posts on lyrica over on the pain management board. I think as more people start trying it we will see a lot more posts.
    Tirzah

Old 11-06-2005, 06:33 PM   #6
    warpman
    (male)

warpman HB User

No luck here for my central pain.

Old 11-08-2005, 10:43 PM   #7
    ladybird988
    (female)

jdl...

i too react horribly to meds, especially the neurontin. but i've had no probs with this one. you never know. i was terrified to try it but couldn't see not doing it. so glad to have my brain back now no more neurontin. we are all so different. i will check pain board,thanks. i said my leg strengthened on the med...well it didn't...today i was back to dragging the leg again but it has brought pain down to a solid 4 from a 6/7 to a 10 so that is a big improvement. how you have survived 6 yrs of this pain is incredible. you are so strong. let us know if you try it and how you react. prayers to you,,,best of luck

Old 11-08-2005, 10:45 PM   #8
    ladybird988
    (female)

alan, so sorry it didn't work for you. what other options do you have? are you in extreme pain? blessings.

Old 11-09-2005, 05:38 AM   #9
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Re:LYRICA working,
    I just had L5/S1 fusion and back doesn't hurt anymore, but from the 5th day after surgery the middle of my rt butt has been hurting bad and then the leg pain as well, feels like he took bone from my hip, but he didn't. Had mylogram done, couldn't find pinched nerve, he gave me some kind of shot in my butt at the painful spot and it has helped the leg burning but still the sciatic spot on my butt is killing me. I did 2 steriod dose packs, and am taking neurontin 300mg every 8 hours, but right now am sitting on an ice pack. If I don't get relief by my next appt., I will ask for this drug and hope it helps. My home health nurse and my daughter(anLPN) both think this is a nerve irration from surgery. Glad to read these threads. Learn so much.

Okie46

Old 11-09-2005, 05:09 PM   #10
    mm78
    (female)

mm78 HB User

I was wondering if anyone has heard of Lyrica helping with numbness due to nerve damage, not necessarily pain.

After a microdiscectomy at L5/S1 four months ago my right leg has been completely numb to the toes. I can't walk without a limp and I have minimal strength. I don't have pain, however, and am leery of taking the drug (or any drug) without knowing if it will help nerve repair.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am getting scared that I will never get the feeling back in that leg.

Old 11-19-2005, 05:57 PM   #11
    warpman
    (male)

warpman HB User

I've tried about everything. Lyrica's just the latest in a long line.

Yes, it's extreme pain.

Closed Thread