It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 4 weeks;fusion..very happy..ALMOST SCARE

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-12-2006, 08:07 AM   #166
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User
    Re: 4 weeks;fusion..very happy..ALMOST SCARE

Good Morning Girls,
    Have chosen to ignore it as no one seems too worried about it, will go back to work next month if he releases me, he will I'm sure. My feet have been bad last 2 days, again, will live with it. How has yours been Sue? Like you I have lived a life to the fullest and abused my body and now paying for it.......OH WELL, was fun then.HA! I hope your incision and feet are better than mine. Guess I need to think about living more with the pain and decrease pills, even though I already have a lot, as my hair is getting bad, I'm sure from medicine, I have very little hair, but have always liked it , but lately is feeling bad, so will decrease even more pills and just put up with the pain in stomach and feet.
    Hope you both had a good weekend, had my great-granddaughters yesterday, so pooped today, talk to you more next week. Carol, will be thinking of you alot.......

Okie46

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-12-2006, 08:49 AM   #167
    confusedpatient
    (female)

confusedpatient HB User

Getting cabin fever here bad. Spent most of Friday at the hopsital, surgeon wants my mom to have a biopsy on Monday. The bone scan shows a large mass around her thigh but he says it would be unusual for cancer to show up there at her age. Apparently you normally see a spike somewhere else first. So he's not really sure what to think, but needs to rule out cancer.

I feel like the combination of things is draining me & the lyrica doesn't help. I think I would rather eat vicodin at this point. So will probably just take the lyrica at night for now. I was really hoping it was going to be my miracle pill. I know I should talk to my surgeon at some point, just don't know when. I'm afraid I'll get the standard, " You know nerves are notorious for healing slowly. . . "blah blah blah.

Tomorrow is going to be a long day, so probably won't check in for a few days. Thanks for the kind thoughts & prayers. I think maybe I've stalled as far as progress goes, but it sounds like this is common. We need to stay positive for each other. I'm going to go get a highlight-anything for a rush! woo hoo

Old 02-13-2006, 11:05 AM   #168
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

Here's hoping for good news at your mother's appointment Carol.

Surgeon's appt. went well; no x-rays today will wait til next month. The incision has a small scab but finally closed up. I have been feeling a small "catch" around the hardware sometimes but he said it's normal as the hardware slides over the muscles? (can't remember exactly what he said). The pains I've been having around the hardware after I stand up from a crouching position are also normal and he was surprised it doesn't bother me more. One small victory, I got to take off the top part of my brace but still have to wear the bottom part.

My toes have been cold the last 2 days but it's mainly when I sit; as soon as I move around it goes away. I stood a LOT on Saturday, baked 2 pies, brownies, cleaned the kitchen plus went to a party where I was more comfy standing than sitting so it's catching up with me today.

Walked around the "block" Saturday and today; 4.5 miles of very hilly roads. Still a bit cold (33) but sunny. We got less than 2 inches of snow here but my daughter had a foot at last count.

Hope you're feeling better today Okie. Maybe once you get into the work routine you'll feel better (repeat that to yourself over and over and over!)

Take care all, Carol we're thinking of you.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:03 AM   #169
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Good Morning Girls,
    I do feel for you, Carol, hard enough dealing with yourself and healing and Lyrica(that would be impossible for me) now your Mom. Do what you have to do to get through this, we'll be thinking of you.
    Sue, you are a SUPER HERO, I can't even touch that kind of walk,you are an inspiration. Your toes are your biggest problem seems like and that should get better. My right foot has been so bad, it's hard to walk my usual 30 minutes, twice a day, I do it, but hard to get started. Yes, work should be better, I tell myself over & over.
    Hubby is home, can't get anything done when he's here, after 30 years, they want ALL your attention. Got to go.....T omorrow..Stay well.

Okie 46

Old 02-15-2006, 06:32 AM   #170
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

Good morning girls.

Hope you're doing okay Carol, we're thinking of you.

Jeez Okie, now your foot? Did you think it's because you decreased your meds and now your foot hurts more? Frustrating stuff...

Did the 4.5 miles again on Monday and started getting the stabbing pain in the left butt cheek shortly after; it didn't stop until I laid down and 1/2 a vicoden yesterday. I don't know if the weekend finally caught up with me; we had the 6 year old granddaughter too and yes Okie they can be a handful! Did about 3 miles outside yesterday but the pressure is on today as my MOM is coming over to walk with us! Popped in to see the chiro yesterday and he wanted to know if I was ready for the kayak yet~sigh~

50 here today (and tomorrow) so CAN'T stay inside. The weekend is back to winter though

Take care everyone.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:27 AM   #171
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Good Morning Girls,
    We have a cold front coming in, cooler and windy, so got to walk while I can, and yes I can't catch a break, didn't sleep good last night, my BACK hurt, only 2 nd time since surgery, but think it was sleeping wrong, also 2nd time took tylenol xs during night and again no BM, I sure wouldn't think that would have that effect, but noticed 1st time so really paid attention this time, all this time I thought only perc's would do that, now will just suffer through night from now on. Yes kids are fun but wear me out and yes you had a busy weekend, could be combo of both Sue.
    My feet are not the burning they were before, just hurt like bruised, walking does help, but I have so much paperwork I need to do for taxes, so will do in spurts.
    Carol, Know you exhausted, and I'm thinking of you.
    Sue, don't OVERDO....YEAH RIGHT, enjoy your weather while you can, got to walk. Have a good day girls.......Tomorrow.............

Okie46

Old 02-15-2006, 03:02 PM   #172
    confusedpatient
    (female)

confusedpatient HB User

Hi guys, hanging in there. Mom had her biopsy on Monday, but surgery was 5 hours behind. They kept her overnight because she was in so much pain. He went down to the marrow & gave her 10 staples-not what she had planned on, but better to do it right. At a glance the bone & surrounding area looked good, but will have to wait up to a week for results. I've been popping in when I can, as she's only 5 minutes from my work.

I've been having some back pain, like bad muscle spasms but on the opposite side of where my problem was & tailbone pain, like it's bruised. The back pain was stopping me in my tracks at first but has let up some now. When I lay flat on the floor I get a pop almost like my sacrum is out of place, then it feels better. What do you make of that? It started after I loaded the woodburner. I was so careful, but it's similar to the crouching position Susie mentioned. I'm wondering if it's the hardware & the fact I've been avoiding that position. I'm praying that it lets up. A vicodin seems to take care of it-along with the lyrica twice a day. I'm doing better with it, but some days I'm wiped out.

Old 02-16-2006, 05:18 AM   #173
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

Hi Ladies..

We're keeping our fingers crossed for you Carol, sorry you have to wait for a week tho.

How are your feet and stomach doing Okie? I still can't believe they aren't more concerned with your stomach; have you done any research on post-op complications of laproscopic surgery? (if you use the google toolbar at the top of the page, click on "web" instead of the healthboards bullet after you type in post op complications...). Please don't give up on this if it bothers you that much. I think you're probably pretty tough and wouldn't complain if it didn't hurt.

I've been getting a "catch" at the top of my hardware (like your "pop"??) felt when I stretch out. The screws are quite prominent ("substantial hardware") so they catch on whatever is around them. I've been getting a "creepy crawly" feeling around my tailbone when I lay down (muscle spasms?); robaxin doesn't help though. The shooting pain in my hip went away after 2 days; modified the walking route a bit so we'll see if it comes back. 1/2 vicoden takes it right away, but I'd rather not depend on it.

Going to step-daughters today to look over her shoulder while she works; much sitting so we'll see what happens.

take care all and have a pain-free day.

Old 02-16-2006, 01:48 PM   #174
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Hi Girls,
    Computer server has been down almost all day, so am real busy right now. It's cold and windy, less than 60 degrees, very cold for me. My stomach is still bad, I just try to ignor it, my foot is better today. I was thinking about your screws girls, I can feel mine in my neck but not my back, it is funny to feel but don't have a "pop" like you guys, have heard of it though. Sue did you say it "Hangs" on things, mine is prominent, but doesn't grab things......WOW.
    Will talk to you tomorrow, try to keep your head up Carol. Have a good one girls...........

Okie46

Old 02-17-2006, 06:50 AM   #175
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Good Morning Girls,
    Back up and running today, hate computer problems, don't think it's important until it doesn't work, man do I ever rely on it for paying bills, talking to the kids, un real. It's cloudy and cold here(less than 40 degrees) right now and I ache, but not bad. Still working on taxes, didn't realize how much we spent on medical last year until you write it down, no wonder I'm broke. My stomach hurt SO bad yesterday, not too bad today, rt. foot still feels bruised, but not burning, so I'm not too bad for the shape I'm in.HA
    Your bruised feeling Carol could be muscle spasm as you have probably been doing things not in your norm with your Mom that you don't even think about, hope it lets up for you, during days like that I can't do without a muscle relaxer(usually Robaxen), I can do without percocet before that and I do, I've done very good doing without lately, will keep it up if body lets me.
    Looks like you guys have snow and cold there, stay safe and warm and as pain free as possible. Hope you don't over do Sue.......Tomorrow

Okie46

Old 02-17-2006, 06:56 AM   #176
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

Morning girls.

Real windy here today; warm and 50 but the temp is supposed to drop dramatically. Guess I'll stay in and do the treadmill; need a good sweat anyway. Yesterday was gorgoeus and 64 out but I didn't get out.

Yesterday I had pain/numbness in the ball of my foot again - hadn't had that in a while. Took the vicoden and it went away, but I hate to start depending on that so much again. I helped watch a 4 month old baby (15 pounds) and did more lifting than I'm used to so whether that had anything to do with the numbness I don't know. Talk about feeling wimpy....

I think the screws catch on the muscles and whether the muscles in turn pull on the vertebrae I don't know, but there is definitely an odd feeling back there. I can't feel the screws through the skin. I'll ask for a better explanation next time I see the surgeon.

Carol hoping you'll get lucky and get the results early before the weekend and that it's good news.

Okie hang in there. Take care all!

Old 02-19-2006, 07:39 AM   #177
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Good Morning Girls,
    I doubt that lifting a baby made you foot hurt Sue, but probably didn't help you otherwise. Being I'm still have foot problems, as I said not burning now, but bruised feeling, where once was spasms, I just beginning to think it comes with the territory, feet that is, I never had ANY foot problems before. I'm very grateful that today it isn't bad and the worse is the right foot, rare to be left. I DO feel screws in my neck but skin is so thin there, doesn't bother me, just weird, but knock on wood I rarely have anything in my back hurt anymore, sometimes when I cross my legs, there's a clamping down, bad shooting hurt, but goes away real quick. Stomach is still VERY painful, wearing high dollar spanx for now, can't buy but 2 pair, so will wear them to threads, they do help some though.
    It was beautiful yesterday, a little cold this morning, got to get around, going out for lunch with friends. Glad your weather is kinda nice, enjoy.
    Hope things are going OK Carol; Talk to you tomorrow, Sue take it easy.....

Okie46

Old 02-20-2006, 07:26 AM   #178
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

Good morning , hope you all had a good weekend.

I took a whole elavil last night and building up tolerance but toes are still cold today - I guess the nerves are more sensitive to the cold because they are better when it's warmer. Sore legs from the treadmill after a few days off, but got through most of the Daytona Race with only a little discomfort (vodka and cranberry has a warming effect on the toes too!) so theres a victory!

Glad you found something to lessen your stomach pain, maybe after you wear them for a while you'll fix it! Any other plans for it or just going to carry on? I suppose that once we learn what "comes with the territory" we'll be on our way to a somewhat normal life??? Take the drugs as needed (although it's easier when we don't have to worry about getting behind the wheel and driving to a job) and suck it up?

Anxious to hear from you Carol, hang in there!

Have a good day all.

Old 02-20-2006, 04:53 PM   #179
    confusedpatient
    (female)

confusedpatient HB User

Hi ladies, sorry I didn't post for a few days, we went away for a long weekend at a state park. We've been doing this every February for close to 20 years with friends we've met along the way. The hiking was quite spectacular I'm told, I stayed behind & kept the cabin warm! Actually I did go on one flat hike, my husband insisted it was a geriatric trail. LOL

No news on my mom yet, I called today but the surgeon wasn't in. They got kind of pissy with me until I told them I'm her health care power of attorney. She's managing, I set up a shower seat for her today.

Good news on my back, I think it was muscle spasms. A friend of mine gets them really bad & he told me the bruised feeling can take up to 2 weeks to go away. He also said that stress really aggravates it for him. So, this makes sense. I was really thinking I might have blown another disc. Whew!

I took my daughter to the dr. today because I thought she had broncitis. It turned out to be the flue so he put all of us on tamiflu. I've never tried it before, I'll let you know if it works. It's supposed to shorten her illness & hopefully keep the rest of us from getting it.

More later, have a good day girls.

Old 02-21-2006, 11:29 AM   #180
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Good Morning Girls,
    Sounds like you both had a fun weekend, like your daughter, Carol, I've got only a touch of cold I think, it's affecting my jaw , sinues, I guess. I've been taking Airborne, seems to take the edge off, have heard a lot of good things about Tamiflu though. I don't remember bruise feeling on muscle spasms although as I said that's what the bottom of my foot feels bruised. My spasms were so bad for 2 months after surgery I thought something was wrong as well.
    Got to go girls, hubby keeps me busy on his days off, talk to you tomorrow.

Okie46

Closed Thread