It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board

• 4 weeks;fusion..very happy..ALMOST SCARE

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-04-2005, 02:11 PM   #16
    Bictwin
    (female)

Bictwin HB User
    Re: 4 weeks;fusion..very happy..ALMOST SCARE

Kat, it does depend on what approach your doctor is going to use. I had different levels fused, I had T10-L1 fused and they did a posterior approach. SO that was 4 levels fused posteriorly (i dont think thats a word) you're having 3 levels fused, so we'll see. I know how much you want to cancel your surgery. I'm 20 years old and the only reason mine wasn't cancelled is because my mom wouldn't let me. Seriously! I ended up staying in the hospital 6 days! I wasn't thrilled about that! But i would rather be kept longer than shorter. Make sure you can handle the pain before they send you home, even if you want to make it home by Christmas. You'll definitely be home by New Years and you can enjoy that! My doctor gave me the whole "its a major surgery, and a major recovery" speech. I'm on the 3-6 month recovery before I can go back to doing anything semi-normal. My whole recovery will be at 12 months post-op. Thats when my doc says I can go back to full normalcy. I can go back to cheerleading and gymnastics by then. But I'm not allowed to drive until 3 months post-op, and even then no bending, twisting, lifting anything! But I'm trying to be good and listen to my doctor. I also have a brace its a Jewitt mini 3 point extension brace. So it pretty much keep me from twisting and bending and doing the stuff I'm not supposed to do. Anymore questions, please post them. Bounce your ideas, or worries off of the people who have been there, ok?? Hope everything goes well. Keep the Faith!!

Ash

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2005, 04:41 PM   #17
    Katinthebag81
    (female)

Katinthebag81 HB User
    Smile Re: 4 weeks;fusion..very happy..ALMOST SCARE

Thanks everyone.

I'm probably going to be a basket case for the next almost 3 weeks. I've been cooking things and freezing meals, since no one else here is much of a cook. At least I wont starve!! Although I'm worried that no one will realize the dogs and cats need to be fed while I'm down. lol

The dr is using a posterior approach. I don't know if that is better or worse than the other, altho I expect its better to only have 1 incision.

Hugs,

Kat

Old 12-05-2005, 03:51 AM   #18
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

KAT,
    I canceled my surgery twice before I went in, it's scary, but again, glad I went. Read post surgery tips at top of threads, but MOSTLY get a raised toliet seat, a must. $37.00, a grapper about $10.00 and USE IT NOW, learn how many ways to use it. Slip on comfy shoes for home and outing, about $4.00 each. They will make sure you have a brace and walker before you leave hospital, I used walker less than 2 weeks, lot of money Insurance paid for 2 weeks, oh well.Those things will help, oh, almost forgot, hubby put on shower head with hose, that also big help. Keep us posted.

Okie46

Old 12-05-2005, 03:58 AM   #19
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Hey Mary,
    Yes I do have those same weird feelings, sometimes I can't stand for the sheets to touch my bare toes, how stupid, but I feel like spasms are going to start even in instep of foot and my calves some days are bad,I still can't drive, I go Friday, hopefully he will let me drive then. I am walking sooo much better and have to when my feet start bothering me, sure was cold and windy yesterday so cut the walk in afternoon way back, hopefully today will be better.
    You sound like you are doing a lot better than me, but I'm determined and stubborn, so know I'll be there. Talk to you all later.

Okie 46

Old 12-05-2005, 03:58 AM   #20
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

Good morning. Got the plumbing working over the weekend , the med schedule figured out, hubby out of the house Saturday and today (deer season in Bradford County PA is a major holiday! and he spent the first 4 days in the hospital with me so he's been a bear) so I'm feeling somewhat normal today. Got real sore yesterday and then realized I hadn't used my ice pack - made a big difference.
    My surgery consisted of laminectomy, fusion with hardware, removed the disk, replaced with titanium cages, between L5-S1, plus there was a "cracked arch" but not sure where. I go back next Monday for follow up. I got stiches instead of staples; have 3 incisions, one midline and 2 shorter ones on either side where they removed the disk. Can't wait to start walking again, I went to the mailbox Saturday but we got snow over the weekend so that's out for a while...When did you all start walking? We have a treadmill in the basement (many steps down to it though); I was walking nearly everyday the month before surgery at least one mile and often doing it 2 times a day. Time to scoot, you all know where I'm coming from...

Old 12-05-2005, 04:31 AM   #21
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Hi Susiebird,
    Have HUBBY bring treadmill up if possible, that would be nice, wish I had one, I don't and WON'T have snow in AZ but windy and cool. Keep on resting just like not, don't over do, can say that enough because I did as soon as I felt good, set me back a week with ice pack and a scare. Good to hear from you.

Okie46

Old 12-05-2005, 09:41 AM   #22
    proboy74
    (male)

proboy74 HB User

No snow huh? Must be nice........Susiebird My doc told me to walk as much as I could tolerate and that it would only help me. Your body will let you know if too much was done, you can count on that..lol...Having the treadmill upstairs is a good idea. Mine is in my basement and the only reason I didn't have it moved up is that I did so well walking and using stairs post-op, the PT rep at the hospital was amazed that I went up and down a flight of stairs with relative ease the first time he took me out of bed. DO NOT over do anything or it will catch up with you...take care

Last edited by proboy74; 12-05-2005 at 09:45 AM.

Old 12-06-2005, 03:59 AM   #23
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

KAT - I velcroed my reacher to my walker. In the hospital, they put elastic shoe strings in my sneakers so they can be slipped on. Also stock up on prunes that's the only thing that worked for me (and no oxycontin before breakfast...). The shower head definitely (I'm at the mercy of hubby to direct the spray now).
    I'll give myself a few days and try the cellar steps to get to the treadmill - went to the mailbox again yesterday and made out fine. Still very achey but feeling better everyday.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:24 AM   #24
    Katinthebag81
    (female)

Katinthebag81 HB User

Hi Susiebird,

Thanks for the advice. I've already had the shower massage shower head on the hose for a long time. It's a really great thing. Will I need a walker? I know i'll need a reacher, but having trouble finding one. I have made a deal with a pharmacy couple blocks away to buy a used tray table like they have in the hospital for over the bed. I just have to go pay for it & pick it up.

My best friend is scheduled to have fusion surgery on Jan 2. I hope I can pass down some of my stuff to her when she gets home. She is in a lot worse financial shape that I am, so she really needs help.

Well, hope everyone is having a low pain day.

Hugs,
    Kat

Old 12-06-2005, 12:33 PM   #25
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

I used my walker all the time the first few days and sporadically the past couple - I doubt I'll need it at all in another week. At least I hope I don't . My reacher came from a medical supply company here in PA; my doc made sure I had all this stuff before I left the hospital - not sure how much insurance will pay on it all but as long as my doc said I needed it, it will cover at least half.

Old 12-06-2005, 04:25 PM   #26
    lfoster21
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

lfoster21 HB User
    Wink Re: 4 weeks;fusion..very happy..ALMOST SCARE

I used my walker for about 2 wks. and really did need it, to get my walks in. As for the reacher, you can get them at Walmart types of stores. If they are not in stock, they will order them for you. You can also get them at most medical supply stores. They can also order them, if they are out.

Good luck,
    Lorie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-07-2005, 04:11 AM   #27
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

Good Morning,
    That's about all I used my walker was 2 weeks, I bought everything but that, it was an insurance thing, very good, was expensive. Hope I can find someone to hand it off to as well. I thought about you yesterday Susiebird as I went for my walk, I was SO cold, it was 63 degress, barely any wind and I was bundled up and laughed thinking of you in snow, but you see here if it gets beow 70 degrees we are very cold, pretty bad huh? We'll be thinking of you Kat so keep us informed. I have to go , it's ONE OF THOSE days, It amazes how you can have so many good days and then one night of bad sleep and you feel like crap with so many spasms. Talk to you all later, have a good day all.

Okie46

Old 12-07-2005, 08:19 AM   #28
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

63 degrees? Oh you poor thing!!! Today it's 20 and windy but with the sunshine it feels at least 22! Had a good night, slept for 2 whole hours at one stretch...I woke up on my back, which is not recommended for a while yet I guess...I get spasms lying on my side which keeps me constantly turning. The muscle soreness has eased up a LOT today; going to try a trip to town today, and maybe a walk to the mailbox

Old 12-08-2005, 06:57 AM   #29
    Susiebird
    (female)

Susiebird HB User

Another cold one in PA; more snow on the way so no walks outside for me for the next few days...want to trade weather for a while???? Guess I'll try the DREADmill soon...went out yesterday for the first time and quite sore today - climbed stairs to the bathroom - it's hard to think ahead about these simple details that affect your life so much. I'm going to have a harder time emotionally than physically with my rehab. I used to bike a minimum of 12 miles at a clip and run 2 miles so it's going to drive me nuts...in this case, crappy weather is going to be better for my rehab...THINK SPRING....

Old 12-08-2005, 08:17 AM   #30
    okie46
    (female)

okie46 HB User

I do know what you mean, cabin fever is a bad thing, I've got 67 degrees today, so am lucky for my walks, but still not in the groove, I haven't worked in 7 months now, I was so used to seeing so many people every day, I'm a blackjack dealer for Harrah's out here and really love my job, so staying at home is awful. I remember my first time out and about, you do forget how simple things are so hard to do. I took my walker even though I wasn't using it at home, but at Sam's club and my SHOPPING husband I had to take it for a couple of times. I went to my pain Dr. yesterday and I asked for a refill on neurontin as it has helped with muscle spasms, but instead of 300mg., he gave me 800mg, man it knocked me on my butt yesterday and is just now wearing off a little. He does that alot, if this is working, let's up the dose, even did it on my percocet, so now I'll be cutting everything in half for the next month. Try to stay busy and warm Susiebird, and Kat Are you still out there? How are your mind games going right now about Surgery? Let us hear from you.......Even in AZ Think Spring!!! Tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!!

Okie46

Closed Thread